Inexpensive solution

Reaction score
Hi,
I am browsing the web to find an inexpensive solution to increase the strength of my transmitter. I do not really want to reach record distance but I would like to make the signal more solid. Sometimes, the tx connection breaks at about 150 meters /500 feet and it's annoying. My tx is in FC mode.
Would anyone think that this simple antenna would do the job ;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Clover-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2594b7b72b

Thanks for any info and/or suggestion

That particular antenna wouldn't help much unless you want to put one on your controller and two on your Phantom... those cloverleaf antennas ar circular polarized and won't match the vertical polarized antennas on the Phantom... so you will have to change those as well.

Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-FPV-5-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a81b7245 will do you much better if you are going to leave the phantom antennas stock... heck these little flat panels give better range than the cloverleafs anyway so save your money...

The cloverleaf antenna was brought to the RC world for fixed wing airplanes that do flips and rolls and have lots of polarity problems because of their 3D flight characteristics... they are a waste of money for sending signal to a quad that spends most of it's time within 30° of level.

Dear DBS,
A big thank you for your research and additional informations. It is much appreciated.
So basically, I would have to replace the tx antenna with the one from your link and I would see a good improvement ?
Furthermore, do you know if it would void the warranty ?
Thanks again

You cannot change the 5.8Ghz antenna without modifying your RC controller, which would certainly void the warranty on the controller. I don't know if it would void the warranty on your Phantom though.

Okay.

It's a mod I've already done, and there is plenty of helpful advice here on how to do it. A new controller isn't massively expensive, so if they say the warranty would be voided then you could buy a second controller and leave the one that came with the Phantom as stock (granted that would not be "an inexpensive solution" though :D) .

http://www.helipal.com/product_info.php ... wwoddDkA8w

You could try this mod instead

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17286

I modified my controller with the same antenna that DBS refers to above in his post. That little $7 flat patch antenna more than doubled my controller range to well over 3000 feet. Using a similar 2.4 ghz flat patch antenna from ALFA, I get almost 5000 feet from the video.

Thank you guys for your inputs.
I ordered DBS' suggestion and then... asked to DJI about the warranty.
I am glad to read that it worked well for you Jstic.
itchy, that curved aluminium foil attracted my attention. Do you believe it ?

happy flying

Don't doubt that tin foil contraption ... it's called the "windsurfer" antenna booster and has been around for years... there's websites that post instructions and give a printout for the proper curve in the parabolic reflector... like this one... http://rchelimenace.wordpress.com/how-to-build-your-own-windsurfer-antenna/

It works... i've done it in the past and still have one sitting on my shelf made with a 24 ounce Monster Energy can...

BUT...

The flat panel antennas are more directional and work better...

Step one would be the windsurfer design... step two the flat panel... once you go up to a directional antenna you won't wanna go back to the tinfoil trick anymore :ugeek:

I recently installed what I think is the same one DBS recommended - I bought it here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E37BPKA

I haven't added repeater antennas yet but with the booster app I was losing control and FPV at about the same distance, around 7000', sometimes a bit more or less. Once I added this antenna to my TX controller, I no longer lose control at all. I haven't got the guts to fly really far blind, but did go just over 2 miles the other day and never lost control once. Once I add a couple of directional antennas to my repeater, I should be able to actually see what I'm doing at that distance and go further. For the cost of a cable and this little antenna, I've made my control radio MUCH more reliable with no change to the P2V+ at all. The lack of bulk is very nice too!

Here are the instructions for installing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BfMFmRiWM4

Good luck!

Just my $.02...when testing your panels your focus should be on vid first and foremost.... you should never be able to outfly your vid...it should be the other way around...

Mike Air said:
itchy, that curved aluminium foil attracted my attention. Do you believe it ?

Yes, Mike

I believe it, why not? All you're doing is turning an omni antenna into a directional antenna. The range increase happens because you are focusing the beam, but you will have to keep it pointed at the bird (the radar display will help you do that). See here for more info on the mod ....

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18157

Awesome guys. thanks for your sharing it's appreciated. I will try the inexpensive... cheap solution of aluminium foil first. Let's see how it goes by myself hehe. Anyway, my experience with the stock system has been very unstable so far. I have reached 2500 feet long at 490 feet high this morning and it was humid outside( my new record).
As said in my original post though, I am looking mostly to make it more relyable rather than breaking a distance record. However, I gotta admit that it is fun to have an eye so far away !
By the way, I have received no answer from DJI yet concerning the warranty. It is probably written in their manual but im so... so busy correcting the photo quality that I have no energy left to read it ;)

Happy flying

Jstic said:
I modified my controller with the same antenna that DBS refers to above in his post. That little $7 flat patch antenna more than doubled my controller range to well over 3000 feet. Using a similar 2.4 ghz flat patch antenna from ALFA, I get almost 5000 feet from the video.

Can you explain which ALFA antenna you picked and why you would pick a 2.4GHz antenna for the 5.8GHz link?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4