Inevitable crash? Please post your opinions...

Reaction score
I would like some opinions - thoughts about this:

I read a comment on here that every DJI Quadcopter will eventually crash - fall out of the sky for one reason or another? True? False? Fly it long enough and it is coming down?

Thoughts?
Opinions?

Thanks...

Sorry, but for me this is scary $&^T

Cracks - Failures - Crashes - OH MY! And then there is that LiPo fire thing...

Last edited:
I have 2 fully equipped P2's with GoPro's. One was bought in April 2014 with 100's of flights, many over water, another almost a year old. About 4 months ago I bought a 3rd to replace whichever one I loose to the Pacific. So far its still new in box. If the 1st one makes it to 2 years I will be surprised and happy I got my moneys worth..

Reactions: PhotoJim
Larry, your fears are understood.
You may go years and years with not a problem. Best thing to do is be vigilant with inspections, learn about LiPo's and not running them too far down or overcharging them, inspect the props, check your MOD values etc. In other words, give your Phantom(s) every advantage then have fun.

The more you know about all aspects of this hobby the less likely you are to become a statistic of it.
:)

I read a comment on here that every DJI Quadcopter will eventually crash - fall out of the sky for one reason or another?
Sorry, but for me this is scary $&^T
Cracks - Failures - Crashes - OH MY! And then there is that LiPo fire thing...
Lots of Phantoms do crash - the overwhelming majority due to operator error.
But that's a very different thing from every Phantom will crash.
As for the other issues you mention .. very few people have been affected by any of them.

If you did zero maintenance on your car/motorcycle/bicycle/etc, do you think it would run forever as long as you keep putting gas in the tank?

People coming from scratch build quads are already used to rebuilding and fixing random issues that come up and don't expect things to last. Comparatively speaking, my P3 is a dream when it comes to reliability.

But it in the end, P3 is a complicated machine with 50+ possible points of failure. And there is ZERO redundancy. If any one thing fails, P3 will crash. It's not going to last forever.

Inspire 1s actually have a maintenance interval and you're supposed to send them to DJI for inspection/re-certification after a certain amount of hours flown. With Phantoms? Nothing.

I agree that they will eventually all crash.. if not by you, then by the person who buys it from you or inherits it from you. Unless it goes in a dumpster first. Great maintenance and knowledge will put the inevitable crash off for a long time. If it's a hobby you can't do without, then get a few of them.

It all comes down to one basic need for humans.. and that is to be a bird. No bird would want to be a human, unless you are a pesquet's parrot.

Thank you for your replies...

Yes I understand NOTHING lasts for ever - forget the $$$ crashing to the ground or??? I am more afraid of the liability aspect - I am sure everyone flies over things that if the bird came crashing down on could be a major liability issue - correct? Yes I strictly follow the rules but... Fly-aways - loss of a motor - whatever...

I do regular inspections screws - settings - calibrations etc... I guess I am a worrier with "OCD" UGH! LOL!

Maybe I need to just fly and stop reading all the cracks - crashes etc... posts :) if it comes down I get to post all of the nice mangled Phantom 3 pictures on here:(

Someone needs to come out with a Phantom parachute attachment triggered by rapid descent or from the RC.:rolleyes:

I understand you question and here is the real answer. It's electronics and being that said they can last a lifetime or 10 minutes after warranty expires. Just kidding... With any electronics it's just like your LCD or LED TV. We all know they are great quality but electrical components do give out. Your laptop May last for years then all of a sudden it dies. Your car battery keeps on going then one morning it won't start. See what I mean. I have an old antique computer now is about 20 years old still running if I turn it on. Bought my wife a tablet Christmas , just had to send it in as it died. Don't know why but some resistor or transistor gave up the ghost. May have even been one of the solder joints or even a track on the board that blew. With electronics it's a never know item. We never know how long it will last and never know when it dies. Just enjoy to the full potential and don't worry about it. Do I worry about a $ 3,200 70 inch So y TV that only has a 12 month warranty. No because I purchased the extended warranty. Depends on the electronic item it cost and your needs.
Will the Phantom die... Sure but hopefully not tomorrow.

For the liability aspect. Doesn't hurt to have an insurance policy that help cover accidents. None of us wants to fly over people, cars or some type of property that could be damaged. But look at all the videos, even mine, one in a while are over damagable objects,hopefully not people, but it does happen so protect your self. Insurance , join the AMA and get it for free.

I'm sure some will end up sitting on shelves collecting dust.

If you want to look for statements that aren't true, look for words like: all, every, always, 100%, etc.

Few things are 100% unless you're talking about death, taxes, or drunk karaoke girls selecting "I Will Survive."

Reactions: Meta4 and dirkclod
Great...
Suppose it is beyond further repair, still have the RC and probably save the battery, would DJI supply craft only???
Plenty of used second hand adverts probably (definately) abducted.
So what can I do after the inevitable occurs???

Break out the wallet!!!!!!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj