Indoor flying...anyone really doing it?

Reaction score
Now I've read a few people have hovered, and a few run the motors without props, but does anyone actually fly in their house? I like the videos inside a big church, and another In iron smelting foundry. And I see that dji is coming up with prop guards to fly inside, or near trees, buildings etc. has anyone broken down in the wind and rain outside and actually flown around inside? Obviously no GPS but the new stable firmware and launch throttle may make it possible. Any brave souls out there want to tell their story of the one that didn't get away?

I've hovered few times but my house is too small to fly and beside the Phantom with the new firmware is very stable, the ground/wall effects in a tight environment can really turn it in a challenge.

When mine first arrived, I've hovered in my small living room and moved around just a bit. I'm not sure why it would be considered dangerious. The props are plastic. They won't slice you open.

denodan said:
DON'T EVER DO IT, IT'S SO DANGEROUS AND RISK GETTING HURT.
Imo that's overreacting. If you want to do it, just be aware of the risks and don't do it near other people, pets or in someone else his house. If it's just you and your stuff in the room, go ahead, but realize you can hurt yourself or your stuff.

I ran mine, without flight, just to test the motors for overheating and balance, but with the props on and enough power to barely lift. I got 45 minutes out of the battery before the red lights flashed. shows how much power is consumed carrying a gopro when the flying time is 8 minutes. Biggest threat was the number of dust bunnies that started to move around. that thing throws a LOT of air down! It's a fun sound in the house, the buzz of the props is pretty cool.

A small point.... with the new 3.10 firmware download, you will not be able to stop it hitting the ceiling on takeoff - the process of taking off is now semi-automated, and there is no control for the first few milliseconds after it leaves the ground. I wanted to use mine to film the interior of my local church, but now I am not confident that something won't get broken......

howardmaryon said:
A small point.... with the new 3.10 firmware download, you will not be able to stop it hitting the ceiling on takeoff - the process of taking off is now semi-automated, and there is no control for the first few milliseconds after it leaves the ground. I wanted to use mine to film the interior of my local church, but now I am not confident that something won't get broken......
For safety, tie a long string to it.

howardmaryon said:

That's not true. I've done the update and flown indoors since, and I have low ceilings. So long as you raise the throttle really slowly and stop moving it as soon as you hit that magic 50% mark, it'll hover perfectly about 3ft off the ground.

DomKane said:
howardmaryon said:

That's not true. I've done the update and flown indoors since, and I have low ceilings. So long as you raise the throttle really slowly and stop moving it as soon as you hit that magic 50% mark, it'll hover perfectly about 3ft off the ground.
There is so much mis-information on this board. I think it's because these are so new, people don't know what to expect. I also have no problem taking off and hovering at just a couple feet off the ground.

Darrell1 said:
When mine first arrived, I've hovered in my small living room and moved around just a bit. I'm not sure why it would be considered dangerious. The props are plastic. They won't slice you open.

Sorry you are wrong, they will hurt you pretty badly, from the Phantom Facebook group:

972883_10151453294228285_1697217390_n.jpg

DomKane said:
Above pic was a "y6 vulcan frame with apm electronics".. Presumably with CF props too.
That's exactly what I mean about mis-information. Because that picture was posted, some people will think it was the Phantom with plastic props.

I bought a little quad copter Traxxas QR1 while waiting for my Phantom to come in. I was trying to teach my wife to fly it. We were indoors and it started going toward the wall so I went to catch it. It hit my lower arm and stung like hell. It left a couple cuts and welts. This thing is tiny with plastic blades and tiny motors.

If you think that plastic is safe, you are sadly mistaken. At these speeds it can slice you as well as other materials. I would highly recommend you don't take these things lightly.

Nvr2fst said:
If you think that plastic is safe, you are sadly mistaken. At these speeds it can slice you as well as other materials.
Are you sure? Do you have a link to some testing? I just worry this could be more mis-information and not be based on fact. I read that unlike carbon fiber or wooden props that they ARE safe, but that too could be mis-information. :D

One way to find out... Someone needs to be brave enough to turn on a video camera and videotape themselves sticking their hand into the blade. :shock:

TBH, we're all using ground-breaking FLYING gadgets! A little bit of common sense goes a long way.

Toasters and microwaves are pretty safe, but I wouldn't jab my fingers in them. :D

Darrell1 said:
Nvr2fst said:
If you think that plastic is safe, you are sadly mistaken. At these speeds it can slice you as well as other materials.
Are you sure? Do you have a link to some testing? I just worry this could be more mis-information and not be based on fact. I read that unlike carbon fiber or wooden props that they ARE safe, but that too could be mis-information. :D

One way to find out... Someone needs to be brave enough to turn on a video camera and videotape themselves sticking their hand into the blade. :shock:

There is a night flying video by Collin and while he was hovering the Phantom, he intentionally touched (a quick jab)the spinning blades and said, it is safe!!

My experience: while I was getting ready to run my small air boat using a APC plastic electric prop size 6x5.5", I plugged in the battery pack and the motor started and moved the boat toward me and sliced my index finger at the tip. I drove myself to my family doctor nearby and was told that I had to be at the hospital emergency. Off I went and sat in the waiting room for 3.5 hours only to find out that it can't be stitched up because within that millisecond I was cut 8 times and there's not enough skin left for the suture so they had to prepare the artificial skin kit. It has been 2 years and I still have the numbness feeling today. :oops:

P1090143Medium.jpg

P1090146Medium.jpg

Note: it is less dangerous if you happen to touch the spinning blade on the back side or where the air flow out that is why some freak show used the tongue to stop the fan blades only from the front.

My dog tested this fact with her snout while it was about a foot off the ground. No cuts or marks thank goodness where she learned nothing from this event. Not saying that the stock plastic props are safe to touch while spinning as I wouldn't want to do it. I was flying in the house right after I got mine where I was actually flying it around and it got to close to me and caught my shirt. It went straight down after that. On a different note, I have noticed small amounts of splattered blood on the white shell. Not my dogs but I can only assuming that its a bug killer. Kind of like when you smash a mosquito that's been feeding on your arm.

Been getting little bug particles on the rotors and body myself. Soon the 17 year cicadas will be out here in the U.S. north east. That may prove to be quite messy! If your not familiar with them, google it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4