Indoor flight with GPS lock

Reaction score
I am going to fly my P3 in a building with 20' high ceiling. I have it set to A Mode. If for any reason the P3 initiates a RTH, if it has a GPS signal it will fly up 30M and return home. My problem is that inside this room it acquires a decent GPS lock, so how do I tell it to just hover, or do I have to set the RTH height to be 10'. (if I don't reset it I could have a problem next time I am flying outdoors.

It won't use GPS (or VPS) in ATTI mode. But to be safe, you can go into the Failsafe settings, and change it from RTH to Hover.

20m is the minimum setting for the RTH altitude. In the DJI GO app, set "MC Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" --> "RC Signal Lost" to "Hover" and all of your bases should be covered. And, make sure you land before your battery reaches the critical low level.

Don't forget to use prop guards.

Do not use GPS indoors. Ever. You can use VPS if you feel comfortable with it. I would simply use ATTi. Prop guards are of limited use. And be careful with the wind currents it creates. It will want to resist the floor but it will happily suck itself into the ceiling.

Do not use GPS indoors. Ever. You can use VPS if you feel comfortable with it.

How would you use VPS without using GPS (assuming GPS signal exists). I didn't think that was possible.

Do not use GPS indoors. Ever. You can use VPS if you feel comfortable with it.
How do you use VPS without GPS? VPS only works in P-mode -- and, you'll also be using GPS then if you have a GPS connection indoors. No?

Good question. I've never used VPS. If you have to enable GPS to use VPS, that's a rather big mistake on DJI's part.

Maybe DJI has cleaned up their algorithms to prevent reactions to wonky sporadic GPS signals but I would be nervous about moving around indoors and having GPS signals come and go. It could easily cause erratic behavior.

I can and do fly my Phantom 3 Pro, regularly inside of an old vacant aircraft hangar. Our city centre Municipal Airport has for several years been closed. Next door to our Aeronautics Museum, this building is predominantly metal, with a lot of steel reinforcing girders all along the ceiling. There are lots of metal ducting, conduit, high power wiring all over the place, HID lighting across the ceiling. We have never-not had a great GPS lock, even with all that metal surrounding the drone, & still have a very regular connection to 15-18 Sat. It drops off at rare infrequent times, but generally stays Locked On. And drifting is barely visible, seriously, it doesn't move around much at all. So far, I only had one Compass error, in there, from rebar in the concrete floor, but moved the Phantom only a few feet over, and it was fine ever since. Yeah, wow, these drones are magnificent. Well mine most certainly is anyway, I can't speak, but for only a few others, locally.
If only we could all everyone, happily share these expectations & experiences. Satisfaction guaranteed. (Or send it in for repair...)
Yet, others can't get theirs to work, right out in an open field at the local country side...
Go figure. (?)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: rixlumb
I keep my drone in P all the time, & I never switch off VPS.
I only click out of P to A in the field., except for autonomous flight.

RedHotPoker

I fly inside with GPS frequently, it hovers rock steady. In Atti mode it drifts around a little but no problems.

. And be careful with the wind currents it creates. It will want to resist the floor but it will happily suck itself into the ceiling.
Yes, this is very true. I also noticed a current of wind pulling towards the A?C return if left to hover at times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik