Incorrect flight distance limit in Android Ground Station

Reaction score
Last 2 weeks were the first time I had a chance to fly in wide open spaces (ocean front on the Oregon coast). After finding that I could maintain FPV and control up to a half mile away, I finally worked up the nerve to use Ground Station to fly beyond where I could actually see the Phantom.

With my Nexus 7 and the latest Android app 1.0.52, when I created any route length greater than 5000 feet, upon pressing, "Done" I got the message "Maximum Flight Distance 16400 Feet Exceeded" instead of the confirmation screen. A 4988 foot route would work but a 5017 foot route would not. All the waypoints were within the maximum distance from the home point.

Somebody correct me if my math is wrong, but I'm pretty sure 5000 is less than 16400.

Metric distances in the Android app work correctly, as does the iOS app on my iPhone, for both feet and meters.

Have other people seen this issue, or is there something unique about my tablet?

Re: Incorrect flight distance limit in Android Ground Statio

Have you calibrate your home point before flight, normaly this apen if not.

The total distance of route has been exceeded, don't confuse this with the distance from home point.

Ie waypoint A to B to C to D etc,

robinb said:
The total distance of route has been exceeded, don't confuse this with the distance from home point.

Ie waypoint A to B to C to D etc,

That's right. The total travel length limit: 5 kilometers/3.1miles. The route length that counts up in the top left side of the Ground Station screen with each waypoint you add.

I see what the problem is now though. The Android app is mixing up feet and meters when it checks to see if you have exceeded the limit. 16,400 feet is 5,000 meters. There's a calculation going on, either dividing 16,400 by 3.28 or multiplying 5,000 times 3.28. A simple conversion error or omission that only exists in the Android app, not in the iOS app.

Somebody probably reported this back in June when the 1.0.50 apk was released. I don't believe this is the type of thing that would crop up in a minor update. The error very likely shows up on every Android device. Of course, few outside the U.S. would likely be using the Imperial settings in the vision app so they wouldn't notice.

Android definitely has this bug if you use imperial. I didn't try switching it to metric though, instead I have an iphone I just use until they fix it. Glad I wasn't the only one that ran into that.

Ran a 4977 meter flight today, had to switch over to metric to overcome the imperial bug (insert Star Wars pun). Ended up falling out of the sky due to running the battery dead while I was trying to get close enough to regain control. will need to pickup a new shell tomorrow.

TexasSilhouette said:
Ran a 4977 meter flight today, had to switch over to metric to overcome the imperial bug ("These aren't the drones you're looking for!"). Ended up falling out of the sky due to running the battery dead while I was trying to get close enough to regain control. will need to pickup a new shell tomorrow.

Did you run this in medium speed? At 9 mph, or whatever that is in meters, it takes 20 minutes to run 3 miles (4977 meters). My battery won't last that long. It needs to be run at Fast speed to go that far. Battery drain per minute isn't much greater to go faster. The amount of power diverted to faster speed is very small compared to what it takes just to keep this nearly 3 pound brick in the air.

I'm sorry about your crash. I'd blame it on the Imperial Bug.

The exercise was intended to determine just how far it would go, I did not anticipate the fact that it would run out while near my house. My phone picked up my home wifi instead of the phantom and I got tunnel vision on trying to restore the connection to my phone rather than considering the remote. I suspect had I just switched back to manual on the remote I could have saved it. That solution was not clear to me at the time. $59.00 lesson learned.

Having an issue after updates with an Android device with camera driver 1.2.9g version 1.1.9 does not have this issue. Problem; where you receive message when selecting done with a mission over 5,000 feet that you are over the 16,400 feet and gives you a pop up error stating such. It seems that 5,000 feet is the trigger 4,999 is fine. I can set a mission for 16,399 and even select a mission over 16,401 the mission distance goes red as it should. What I am seeing on mine at the moment anything 5,000 triggers pop up when selecting Done.

Answered my own question there must be with Android in Imperial measurements. 5,000 meters happens to be 16,404 feet it is treating feet as if it was meters on an Android device rather than feet, selecting metric and it works as it should.

drivers app 1.0.50 camera 1.1.9 naza-m 3.04 does not have this issue
drivers app 1.0.54 camera 1.2.9g naza-m 3.08 does have this issue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31