In US. Is it safe to fly over the neighborhood?

Reaction score
Has any experienced frowns when flying high over the neighborhood community not circling around but straight thru it. I live on top of the hill overseeing the whole neighborhood and want to take advantage of the height

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 744
Should be OK -just make sure you calibrate- set home point- and adjust your RTH height - and stay away from the power lines on your left :)

You would be fine...there should be no issues. Now if you wanted to fly around at 100-150ft then you may have some ignorant home owner puff their chest at you.

I don't talk about these type of things that often but I have had the police at my house 5 times in the past 1 1/2yrs about my quad.

I do almost every day.

Just like mentioned above. Watch out for pissy neighbors. Nothing they can do but be prepared.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
You would be fine...there should be no issues. Now if you wanted to fly around at 100-150ft then you may have some ignorant home owner puff their chest at you.

I don't talk about these type of things that often but I have had the police at my house 5 times in the past 1 1/2yrs about my quad.
That cant be good? :rolleyes:

i have had the police at my house twice for my phantom. once the neighbor said I was filming his kids. was at about 150 feet sitting over the center of the road shooting a sunset. that time once the cop found out I had security cameras around my house all he was interested in was could they use the video if they needed it. I gave him my card and said sure anytime. before he was off my street I was right back up.

the second time they where not happy with my circling around there traffic stop. I was at about 200 feet.

Reactions: jlo
i have had the police at my house twice for my phantom. once the neighbor said I was filming his kids. was at about 150 feet sitting over the center of the road shooting a sunset. that time once the cop found out I had security cameras around my house all he was interested in was could they use the video if they needed it. I gave him my card and said sure anytime. before he was off my street I was right back up.

the second time they where not happy with my circling around there traffic stop. I was at about 200 feet.

You can film his kids if you do so from a public location. People need to learn the laws.

Reactions: QuikSilver15
I sometimes fly over a neighborhood getting to the regional park if I am to lazy to load up the SUV and drive over. I stay over 100' and don't dally over anyone's house, haven't had a issue yet. The park is only 3000' away so if I follow the road I am there in a few minutes. I can sit on my patio with a cold pint and fly over to the park (large park 2 miles side to side) and play around then come back and land back in the yard.

I sometimes fly over a neighborhood getting to the regional park if I am to lazy to load up the SUV and drive over. I stay over 100' and don't dally over anyone's house, haven't had a issue yet. The park is only 3000' away so if I follow the road I am there in a few minutes. I can sit on my patio with a cold pint and fly over to the park (large park 2 miles side to side) and play around then come back and land back in the yard.

I do the same. I actually fly up over 500 feet up directly over my house, then beeline to the park that is about 800 feet away. I do fly over a couple of homes on the way but I try to stay over the park land mostly. You never know when the P3 could fail some way and fall on some kid's head in their backyard. I'm just not ready to be Bubba's girlfriend in prison.

Reactions: F6Rider
I do the opposite. I drive to the park then fly back over my house. Was taking pictures of my house today. Try to stay up reasonably high so I'm not noticed. I go to the park so that my neighbors don't know it's me flying around. If they notice at all.

Reactions: lookin4pain
I do the opposite. I drive to the park then fly back over my house. Was taking pictures of my house today. Try to stay up reasonably high so I'm not noticed. I go to the park so that my neighbors don't know it's me flying around. If they notice at all.

I sometimes do that too :D

You can film his kids if you do so from a public location. People need to learn the laws.

Dear Mr Officer I'm allowed to film your kids as I'm in a public location.
Lets see how that one rolls out in real life. :)

I feel somehow all wrong inside even saying that out loud.

Reactions: lookin4pain
Dear Mr Officer I'm allowed to film your kids as I'm in a public location.
Lets see how that one rolls out in real life. :)

I feel somehow all wrong inside even saying that out loud.

You can film anyone and anything from a public location. You can film into buildings if you are filming from a public location. You can film anyone, any age from a public location. People think they have "rights" on who and when people can film them in public. They are misinformed.

Now if you could just attach a dog lead, and get it to walk your dog for you at the same time, the park could become a place we never have to actually go in person :)

Now if you could just attach a dog lead, and get it to walk your dog for you at the same time, the park could become a place we never have to actually go in person :)
HA! Good one, actually I walk my dogs there most every day, 2.5 miles according to Runkeeper. It's a nice park, lot's of running/biking trails, a small river (big creek) lot's of open space to fly in. Had a local PD watching me this morning, but I knew him and he was just interested in the quad. As soon as my extra batteries get here I will go up in the mountains to get some footage.

Not in their house you can't, they have a legal expectation of privacy in there home. Anyway, why would you want to ??? and get branded a peeping tom or a perv.

If you are on a public street you can film someone's home. If you happen to film them inside their home from the public street that is completely legal. That's why you have drapes. I would never do this. Just stating the facts.

You guys are lucky over there. Here in Aus we are not allowed to fly over anyone's property. That seriously restricts doing almost anything. There was a fire on a hill in the middle of a suburb recently. To go have a look by quad, would have been very nearly impossible without crossing a person's property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as it is above 18 degree's I fly all year long. What I found is when the weather starts getting warm enough that the neighbors begin opening windows or leaving doors open is when the frustration begins. Last year, and like desertcat said, I found that flying up to 500ft and away seem to bring everything to a stop.

The 1st time the police came to my house the 1st thing they asked me was "are you the guy flying the drone?". I said what color was it? He said "I didn't ask". I said so why are you asking me? He said "Why can't you just answer the question?". I said because there is more then just myself in the neighborhood that flies one. So he said he would be right back leaving me to think he was going to find out the details he should have to begin with. And when he returned he said that the people couldn't remember the color. I said exactly...which should tell you that the call wasn't about a drone but instead to use the police to harass me the neighbor. I then told him he should let those that complained know to pay attention to the color if there happens to be a next time.

So 5 days go by and a different officer shows up. He asked if I was flying my drone in the neighborhood anytime that night and before I could say anything he mentions the color as being red with a camera 4 to 6 motors. I said for him to hang on let me go get it. I just happened to have my old helicopter and controller sitting just around the corner. I grabbed it and said is this what they saw? He said that No it wasn't and told me to have a nice evening. I heard from a different neighbor that the officer went back to the neighbors that put in the call and pretty much told them to leave me alone that my setup didn't even have a camera which didn't matter even if I did. He then told them as long as I was not using the drone to physically harm them there was nothing the police force could do.

So it all calmed down after that until I had a one on one with a different neighbor which a complely different story in itself.

You guys are lucky over there. Here in Aus we are not allowed to fly over anyone's property. That seriously restricts doing almost anything. There was a fire on a hill in the middle of a suburb recently. To go have a look by quad, would have been very nearly impossible without crossing a person's property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the U.S. anything above 80 feet is faa property above a home

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4