In the dark you do not know who is there

Very neat,I like it, spooky music lol
Is that you on the beach or boogie man,,watched it few times ,,is it night time ,I did see couple lights but not street lights,,I love to take me buggy on those tracks there ,great theme though in black and white ,,

You would love to take your buggy on that, loads of people take their 4X4 there, they are not allowed to by law. But that law is decided by the land developers who are already billionaires. They have recently taken a huge part of that park which was protected land by wildlife and protections agencies. Local politicians caved in or were they paid?
If I have overstepped the mark I will delete that last statement.
The guy on the beach was strange, that's why I focused on him. He or she was either fishing, contemplating the end or just wanted to watch the sunset knee deep. So yes sunset.
I have been waiting for about a year to use that music. The track is the most scary I have heard.
And thanks, ianzone.

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: John Gowland
Never tried it with my drones. Are you filming in B&W mode or converted in post?
Also I noticed that it seems like you’re using auto exposure. Based on the change in exposure when you panned down to see mostly the ground with just a little sky at the top of frame.
Do you do that all the time? I was always taught by traditional filmmakers that it was better to plan your shot and keep constant exposure rather than having it vary up and down as you fly based on the tonal content below.

Not judging mind you, just wanting to know if that’s what you do all the time. And if so why you feel that it’s better.

And I’d also be interested to hear from others their practice- Auto-Exposure for video or Manual.
I fly the P4P v2 of that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Gowland
An awesome question jephoto.
I am not, obviously, a professional film producer. I do not produce material that is for profit on a regular basis. I do it for fun, if I did it professionally it would no longer be fun. I have never made any money, at all, with drones or cameras, I have a pension as a retired teacher, so it is not great, but I can live quite well.

Getting things “perfect” would destroy my love and my passion. So, I use auto focus and I love it.
Ask yourself, what do you want to do? I would far rather produce a lot of fun stuff that I enjoy and share, than a few masterpieces, that most would not appreciate anyway.

I was messing with the colour choices in P4P V2, DJI Go 4, usually, I use none but occasionally true colour or even C-Cinelike. I never use D-log. I hate spending hours on post, it is not fun, not at all. That is when I saw black and white and thought ooh that would be fun with a bit of music, I heard a while ago.

So, I experiment with auto settings that is quick and fun.
However, some of the stuff I have done is pretty good, and all on auto.

There is too much snobbishness around film production.
Another example is software use. Many say they use Final Cut, I find it is a waste of time and effort, I use iMovie which many would say it is for children, it is good for kids but it’s good for me. iMovie is a very sophisticated, fast, efficient and fun software.

For me iMovie does everything I need to do, including multiple layers of sound and video. This allows me to focus on content not software I use. And it is much faster.
I have thought of doing a weekly, short, course on my production process, workflow, but I suspect few would be interested.
Some “professionals” may call all my vids as childish or rubbish.

Maybe, but I like to splash my paint on walls and see what comes out, if you get my drift.

Hey John, thanks for the reply. And again when I asked the question it’s not in judgment in anyway. I just wanted to know your process and why. And if you did decide to teach a course on your workflow I’d be interested.

I come to this from the perspective of a professional still photographer for 40 years. And I still struggle with video. More and more I have to include video content with my jobs so I like to know how to get it right.

But if one of the ways to get it right in certain situations is to keep it on auto, I’m definitely willing to try that.
Just another tool in the box. I’d like to know what methods will give me the best results, when I need it for work, and what methods will give me acceptable results when I don’t need “best“. And certainly if you’re just doing this for yourself and not for a client is no need to go through a lot of changes to get something that looks nice. And fun…
Sometimes going on full auto is just fine. Other times not.

there’s two broad groups of Drone photographers/filmmakers. Photographers who started flying drones, and Drone flyers that started doing photography. I am the former. My drone is another camera in my bag and that’s how I approach it. My drone is another camera in my bag with a 400’ tripod.

But I’m a still photographer first and even after droning for seven years still figuring out the best and smoothest way to do a video. And my editing skills are very rudimentary because up until last year I didn’t really have the processing power to do any sophisticated video editing.
So for the little editing I do I also have used iMovie I wouldn’t mind knowing how to use it to better effect.
2018 & 2019 I was shooting a lot of schools for websites. And the people in India who were doing all the film editing preferred me to shoot in D-Cinelike. Often I’d be shooting between 10 AM and 2 PM on school properties and if the sun was out at all be very high contrast. Made sense to use D-Cinelike because of the huge gain in dynamic range. But then you had to bring that contrast and saturation back. But I was just sending all the files off to them so I didn’t matter to me.
I’d be interested to know the basic corrections in iMovie you normally start with if you use D Cinelike to bring it back to looking normal.
Anyway, keep flying, keep putting out your fun videos, I look forward to seeing them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20