In need of replacement P4P. NO LONGER IN NEED

I did a refresh on my P4Pv1 a couple of months ago and got a new one in the original box from DJI. But I'm guessing they will keep getting scarcer and scarcer. Tried to talk them into upgrading to a v2 with me paying for the v2 controller but they weren't interested. With the introduction of the Mavic 3 I'm worried that the Phantom line may continue to disappear. I like the stability of the Phantom and don't mind the size difference.

For those that are curious, I ran a recon mission with my old P3S over to the spot I lost connection over the island. Note I did not take off from this takeoff spot with the lost P4P. I was further from the island (although I did quickly drive down there with my controller when I lost connection hoping it might be hovering.)

There are a couple things that I thought *could* be the P4P down there but the resolution just isn’t high enough on the P3S.

You can mute if the music gets too annoying.

For those that are curious, I ran a recon mission with my old P3S over to the spot I lost connection over the island. Note I did not take off from this takeoff spot with the lost P4P. I was further from the island (although I did quickly drive down there with my controller when I lost connection hoping it might be hovering.)

There are a couple things that I thought *could* be the P4P down there but the resolution just isn’t high enough on the P3S.

You can mute if the music gets too annoying.

I was looking hard but nothing stood out, its possible after losing signal it could have moved any direction..your data might show last know heading and actual distance from home point for a better idea ,,p3s done well on search and music was just fine,hope you do find it and pity you cant visit the island for a manned search to eliminate it,,good luck,I been following

I was looking hard but nothing stood out, its possible after losing signal it could have moved any direction..your data might show last know heading and actual distance from home point for a better idea ,,p3s done well on search and music was just fine,hope you do find it and pity you cant visit the island for a manned search to eliminate it,,good luck,I been following
Thanks

It should have done an RTH. I wonder if the battery fell out when it braked.

Actually the land conservancy does two a walking tour of the island once a year in February when you can walk out on the ice. I’ll try to register for it just for the heck of it. I doubt the drone would be usable. But the data card might be and show the final moments.

If anyone with the expertise is willing to take a look at this log I’d appreciate it. I looked at the end of the CSV and I don’t see anything out of the ordinary except the last two lines are downlink lost and then downlink restored.

I remember seeing an RTH popup and tapped YES but I may have been too late. Maybe it lost connection again and that event wasn’t logged and then it braked hard and dropped the battery. Any words of wisdom are appreciated. Maybe @Meta4 you could take a quick peek. :)

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Last edited:
I cant read the flight but looking at stick input at end of log ,,it was going foward full so probably went past the island for period of time mayby before it made its mind up what to do

I cant read the flight but looking at stick input at end of log ,,it was going foward full so probably went past the island for period of time mayby before it made its mind up what to do
Or did heavy braking

If anyone with the expertise is willing to take a look at this log I’d appreciate it. I looked at the end of the CSV and I don’t see anything out of the ordinary except the last two lines are downlink lost and then downlink restored.

I remember seeing an RTH popup and tapped YES but I may have been too late. Maybe it lost connection again and that event wasn’t logged and then it braked hard and dropped the battery. Any words of wisdom are appreciated. Maybe @Meta4 you could take a quick peek. :)

Here's what I see:
Looking at the flight data, I check the obvious potential causes of a lost drone.
1. Battery
The battery was fine.
It was full at the start and after 6.5 minutes of flight, it was still at 73% and good cell voltages.

2. Wind - would there be problems due to wind on the return flight?
I always look for a time where the drone was still in the air to check the effect of the wind.
But the right stick was pushed fully up for the whole flight and there was no hovering to check

3. RTH height and potential obstacles
RTH height was set at 305 ft - more than enough to clear any obstacles on the return path
If the drone lost signal, that would initiate RTH and a climb to 305 ft higher than the launch point.
It is likely that signal would have been regained if this happened.

Having trouble posting it all in one, so here's part 2

4. Data at end of flight record
The flight data shows the drone losing downlink at 6:25.4 for 2.8 seconds.
Downlink was restored briefly at the end of flight data.
The speed, pitch and roll data show the drone in stable flight at 25mph and 354 ft lower than the launch point.
No indication of a collision is shown in the data.

5. Terrain height and flight height
At the end of flight, the drone was 354 ft lower than the launch point.
This would put it at an altitude of 468 ft.
The terrain of the island at the end of data, is mapped as slightly higher than 450 ft .
This does not include the height of any trees.

What happened after the end of data isn't shown, but given the height of the drone relative to terrain, there is a strong possibility that the drone struck a tree on the small island.
Because the drone was already close to losing signal, it could be that if a collision occurred, it would not be shown in the data.

Collision with vegetation on the island is the most likely reason for the loss of the drone.
The last data shows that any collision would have been 200 metres from the southern end of the island, more than enough land to catch the drone.

Part 3
i-vNfKwhp-XL.jpg

Thank you for the detailed analysis and detailed reply. I too had considered a tree strike and OA is not reliable with leafless branches. The only thing is that as I was approaching the island I did ascend a bit to give a buffer as I could still see it on my screen.

I do have a video from the display that ends just before that (the file that would have video till the signal loss is corrupted). I’m including a framegrab from the end. Above the trees I can see the lake behind. I think, geometrically, that means I had to be above tree height at that point to be looking over those trees. And I even ascended a bit more after that. So, while I think you make a good case on the data, visually it didn’t do up to me.

Unless I actually descended more after this framegrab to below the tree line. And any ascent after that wasn’t enough. I guess that could make sense. In my memory I thought I was above the trees when it lost signal. But I guess memory is notoriously unreliable.

When I get a replacement I may try my recon mission again. Or reserve my spot on the annual walk over on the ice. ;)

Thanks again.
Bill

Greetings folks,

I lost my P4P V1 drone. Never returned. Don’t know why. I’d prefer to buy just another P4P V1 aircrafts but it looks like they just aren’t available new. Does anyone know if a source? I suppose I could go the used route off eBay if I have to.

Thanks
Bill
You could try Adorama.com. I have bought a couple used drones from them and they test them and note the condition of them online and I personally have never had a problem with them.

You could try Adorama.com. I have bought a couple used drones from them and they test them and note the condition of them online and I personally have never had a problem with them.
I did try them. Thanks. No joy. But I’m buying one a kit from someone here.

Reactions: Brojon
@Meta4 : Update: drone found. Questions answered, other questions raised…

So it’s not at all what we thought.

Got a call this morning from a guy who found it in the woods behind his house (this is 3 months after loss). It was not out on the island in the middle of the lake. In fact it was close to home. It was returning home and almost made it. Must have clipped a tree but it shouldn’t have.

The final video file never closed properly so I can’t see the final moments. But it’s clear that the aircraft did not raise to RTH height before heading home. My RTH height is 300 ft. The drone was down below me at -300 something. I don’t remember exactly but it was well below takeoff point over the lake.

Is it possible that it won’t raise to RTH if altitude is negative?

I’m guessing it didn’t reconnect because it never raised up high enough to get above the tree line.

Has anyone had any luck recovering a video file that never closed properly. I don’t need it for forensics. But should complete my video. :)

The aircraft is in surprisingly good shape physically. Top shell cracked and a prop broken. Grit in one motor which seems to have cleared. Gimbal and camera look find. I dare not power it up yet. It’s been in the weather for 3 months. I’m not optimistic. Batt seems to be charging though.

Reactions: BigL and Capt KO
I was able to recover the last video file. So stay tuned. They are dark because I had the wrong ND filter on but I’ll try to pull it out.

Reactions: BigL
I Downloaded Remo Video Repair. That mostly recovered it but Final Cut wasn’t happy with it. So I took that file into VLC and used its repair and convert functions.

But it’s clear that the aircraft did not raise to RTH height before heading home. My RTH height is 300 ft. The drone was down below me at -300 something. I don’t remember exactly but it was well below takeoff point over the lake.

Is it possible that it won’t raise to RTH if altitude is negative?
Normally the drone will climb to the set RTH height before returning home.
Negative height wouldn't make any difference.
The only thing that I'm aware of that could stop it climbing is mentioned on p 15 of the manual.
When the RTH altitude is set to more than 65 ft (20 m) and the aircraft is ascending between 65 ft (20 m) and the preset RTH altitude, the aircraft will stop ascending and immediately return to the Home Point if you push the throttle stick.
For that to have happened, the drone would have had to lose all signal, initiate failsafe RTH and then establish downlink enough for signal to the drone to work and for you to have pushed the throttle up of down.
It's a bit of a long shot, but all I can think of.

I’m guessing it didn’t reconnect because it never raised up high enough to get above the tree line.
That would be a reasonable assumption.

Reactions: gcopter1
Normally the drone will climb to the set RTH height before returning home.
Negative height wouldn't make any difference.
The only thing that I'm aware of that could stop it climbing is mentioned on p 15 of the manual.
When the RTH altitude is set to more than 65 ft (20 m) and the aircraft is ascending between 65 ft (20 m) and the preset RTH altitude, the aircraft will stop ascending and immediately return to the Home Point if you push the throttle stick.
For that to have happened, the drone would have had to lose all signal, initiate failsafe RTH and then establish downlink enough for signal to the drone to work and for you to have pushed the throttle up of down.
It's a bit of a long shot, but all I can think of.

That would be a reasonable assumption.
Hmm. Interesting. Thanks! It seems possible I suppose.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20