In my local paper this morning

Reaction score
Drones: a problem waiting to happen. Great, now I'm going to be even more self conscious when I fly. :(

Attachments

• 1446579299985.jpg
    1446579299985.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 539
"How can something terrible not happen sooner or later?!"

The hand-wringing nanny-stater who cannot live happily without conjuring up something to worry about. That these people get a forum to advertise their fears and phobias is incredible. That somehow, because their "opinion" is in the newspaper, it makes it correct. :mad:

Last edited:
Here are my 2-cents . . .

We should ALL (every one of us) have already made some kind of contact with newspapers, local officials, local law enforcement and so forth. This should have started about 2 years ago and I'm afraid for many of us it's like jumping AFTER you hear the gun shot... BANG!

It's incredibly hard (if not impossible at least very difficult) to sway a community into thinking positive after something negative has come across "their" news paper etc. For whatever reason once it goes into "print" it's the Gospel.

So get out there and be a positive role model for the community and show them how safe, fun, and non-Threatening these small aircraft can be. Use every resource you can to get positive input and don't be afraid to enlist the help of others in this plight.

Like it or not we are all in this together and we need to be proactive as best we can.

Here are my 2-cents . . .

We should ALL (every one of us) have already made some kind of contact with newspapers, local officials, local law enforcement and so forth. This should have started about 2 years ago and I'm afraid for many of us it's like jumping AFTER you hear the gun shot... BANG!

It's incredibly hard (if not impossible at least very difficult) to sway a community into thinking positive after something negative has come across "their" news paper etc. For whatever reason once it goes into "print" it's the Gospel.

So get out there and be a positive role model for the community and show them how safe, fun, and non-Threatening these small aircraft can be. Use every resource you can to get positive input and don't be afraid to enlist the help of others in this plight.

Like it or not we are all in this together and we need to be proactive as best we can.

Very true, you would be surprised just how much misconceptions people who do not know about the hobby have or the things they have to say everywhere. I've had people threaten to call the police because they think the government just outlawed drones. Mind you I'm flying in a park with a model airfield:D More and more though I'm flying in the deep woods where there is nobody, just nice scenery.

Almost all media could care less about reporting news or accurate information. They are there to make policy and sell news.

This person's article is nothing more then their opinion based on incorrect information. It attempts to give the impression that the person is unbiased bit clearly, she is. There are so many errors and incorrect information in the opinion article.

Almost all media could care less about reporting news or accurate information. They are there to make policy and sell news.

This person's article is nothing more then their opinion based on incorrect information. It attempts to give the impression that the person is unbiased bit clearly, she is. There are so many errors and incorrect information in the opinion article.
Do what I do. When I find such an irrational sensational article, I write a letter, usually an email, to the editor with verifiable information. I hope the article that eBird scanned for his post was recent because I sent an email to [email protected] just a few minutes ago.

Will it do any good? Maybe. But doing nothing sends the message that their fear-mongering is fact-based.

It was in today's paper. Mind pasting here what you wrote in your email? I'll send her an email as well stressing similar points.

Sooner or later....ALL these people who think "drones" are some mythical evil demon from the skies........will ALL know someone they trust who has one.
Relax. I think time is on our side and in our favor.
Maybe I'm just an optimist :)

Letter sent.

I just noticed the article published in our local paper here was written for the New York Times. We're bound to see this picked up in lots of other papers.

Do what I do. When I find such an irrational sensational article, I write a letter, usually an email, to the editor with verifiable information. I hope the article that eBird scanned for his post was recent because I sent an email to [email protected] just a few minutes ago.

Will it do any good? Maybe. But doing nothing sends the message that their fear-mongering is fact-based.

Did something similar today (at work while I was being paid to do something else)... I wrote an open letter that addressed most of what I've seen written. I will probably tweak it a little and then use it to send out to people as you mentioned.

Thought about this the past few hours as well (mainly after seeing the DJI "X" concept video... which was _every_ interesting). When cars came out, people were scared of them. When cell phone camera came out, people were scared of them. The list goes on. But truth is, we absorbed these things into our lifestyles. As we learned about them we realized that they were not the end of the world and that they could easily serve a greater good. Drone tech won't stand still. As drones grow in use we will develop tech so they can be controlled much better, avoid obstacles, etc. These things are already being worked on. People will also learn not to fear them for the Satan spawn that some would make them out to be.

Did something similar today (at work while I was being paid to do something else)... I wrote an open letter that addressed most of what I've seen written. I will probably tweak it a little and then use it to send out to people as you mentioned.

Would you be willing to "Share" the final version of this? I'd love to compare it to what I have been thinking about doing along these same line.

These sort of pieces come out because in the mind of the writer drones are evil.
They don't know drones and go from their imagination and what they have heard from (possibly misinformed) sources.
A similar piece came out earlier this year in the Chicago Tribune. We must ban drones before it's too late
Someone needs to take Gail Collins out flying and throw a little light into the dark corners of her imagination.
Show her what a Phantom can and can't do so she can write from an informed perspective rather than her imagination.
DJI should employ a couple of ambassadors for that sort of thing.
Now that would be a good gig.

Reactions: dirkclod
Someone needs to take Gail Collins out flying and throw a little light into the dark corners of her imagination.
Now that would be a good gig.
:)

Reactions: dirkclod
So it's a yes? Your shaking your head yes. o_O
Where should we send the application?
You know and send some of this
My juice.jpg

A lot :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics