imu & rth height setting

Reaction score
hi all I have only done an imu calibration once after an update & never touched the imu since I have had about 15 flights an always calibre the compass where ever I am & had no issues in gps or atti I did disable the vps as I have no need for it have I done this correctly? & where can I find the rth settings to change the height and what height setting is best? is 100m to much? thanks

I occasionally check to see if an IMU cal is needed and it never has been, even after two updates.
I would set the RTH/Failsafe altitude to whatever is sure to clear every obstacle between you and your mission. Remember, the bird is going to want to come straight home and so may encounter something you normally might not. I would then add 10 meters to whatever 'safe' height I needed, just as a margin of safety.
I would not make the altitude any higher than that margin of safety because it requires power to climb. In an emergency you may need every amp you have for horizontal travel.
So the specific answer to your question "Is 100m too much?" is No, not technically in that the bird can still make 100m, but you might not want it to have to climb that high.
Edit: Wow, you've never set your RTH/Failsafe altitude? I believe the factory has them set at 70m so you've at least had that much. You have several other settings you need to make so I suggest you watch a few YouTube videos about how and why to do them. The videos are great learning tools.

Last edited:
that sounds like a good idea stumblebee I never thought to check for videos on rth settings cheers man :)
Oh yes, there are lots of fun videos to watch. Your head will be spinning with information. Just one note of caution. After you set your Failsafe altitude which you will find is easy to do, go off that screen and then go back to it to make sure your input stayed! For unknown reasons my first two tries resulted in it defaulting to the factory setting. Since then it's been good.
I have a preflight checklist and one of the items is to check Failsafe height. But then I tend to err as if I were actually flying in it. ;)

Reactions: Milehigh970
yeh another good point stumblebee when I first disabled the vps on the bird the next flight it was back on ever since I double check the settings before lift off

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj