"IMU Error, please calibrate" on startup. Firmware 1.2.6, Pilot app 1.2.0

Reaction score
Ever since i updated to the firmware 1.2.6 and turn on the P3P i get the message "imu error, please calibrate" in the Pilot app camera screen, the camera goes limp too as you see in the picture. The message only stays for a few seconds and then its "safe to fly" and the camera comes into life and levels out, the aircraft flys perfectly and have no issues, today i also updated the Pilot app to 1.2.0 and the message flashed up exactly the same on startup.
No issues whatsoever during flight and even the app did not disconnect like it has been on the 1.1.0 pilot app.
I have not calibrated the IMU since any of the updates as it did not need it and as i say flys great. I may just do a full re-calibration of the IMU and see if i still get the message.
Anyone else seen this on startup.

1zmzeph.jpg

2ahd2pt.jpg

IMU is the heart of the device.... Rules have been - Upgrade, THEN IMU advance cal.....

dont mess with DJI upgrades or mother nature, results if not *****.dat recorded will be an operator flyaway.

Its telling ya to recal, Can it be simpler than that?

Have not seen that screen, but definitely sounds like you should do an IMU and than a gimbal calibration

To repeat............. your bird says to you, "Please Calibrate IMU." Please obey your bird when she speaks.

Reactions: 80Aerial
To repeat............. your bird says to you, "Please Calibrate IMU." Please obey your bird when she speaks.
Then why does it go away witn seconds and fly perfectly? Seems like a bug to me but i am about to do a full imu calibration just in case.

Ever since i updated to the firmware 1.2.6 and turn on the P3P i get the message "imu error, please calibrate" in the Pilot app camera screen, the camera goes limp too as you see in the picture. The message only stays for a few seconds and then its "safe to fly" and the camera comes into life and levels out, the aircraft flys perfectly and have no issues, today i also updated the Pilot app to 1.2.0 and the message flashed up exactly the same on startup.
No issues whatsoever during flight and even the app did not disconnect like it has been on the 1.1.0 pilot app.
I have not calibrated the IMU since any of the updates as it did not need it and as i say flys great. I may just do a full re-calibration of the IMU and see if i still get the message.
Anyone else seen this on startup.

1zmzeph.jpg

2ahd2pt.jpg

Have you ever had your petrol warning light appear and then disappear after you parked it on a hill???
It still means you NEED petrol. So please listen to the warning. Running out of petrol is semi ok on a car as it will just stop dead. A miss-guided IMU means a potential AWOL flying lawn mower.

I had this error on the old firmware. I spoke to dji about it and they said not to worry about it if the message goes away and it flys fine.

It's hardly rocket science, it is telling you to recalibrate the IMU so that's what you should do. If you still get the message after that then there might be a bigger issue.

It takes 5-10 minutes to do so it's got to be better than just ignoring it and hoping $1000+ doesn't fly away.

A full IMU and Gimbal calibration has been done from cold on a perfectly level surface so i'll see if its still there after todays flight.
I've only ever calibrated the IMU when i first got it, since then i've never re-calibrated after any firmware update, always checked and it said "no need to calibrate" and i've never had any issues. Some flyers do re-calibrate after every firnware update but i see no need to if it says it does not require, Some also calibrate the compass at every flight and again i see no point in doing that if the compass says its okay. As the old saying goes "If it aint broke don't try and fix it!"

I never have understood why there is so much resistance to doing any recalibrating.

I seen a number of threads where a crash of some kind took place after a change. Many times the pilot was asked if they did a proper IMU recalibrate after the change, and many said no they did not because it did not say it needed it.

Other then wire break crashes, I have never heard of one crash or fly-away from pilots that re-calibrated the IMU and Compass. Btw, none of the re-calibrations require much time.

Then why does it go away witn seconds and fly perfectly? Seems like a bug to me but i am about to do a full imu calibration just in case.
I don't think this latest firmware release was anywhere near normal. So many problems introduced by it. That's just how I roll..................... I'm in the "just-in-case" camp. I want to know my bird has a fresh IMU, Gimble and Compass calibration after every firmware update. Everyone is different............. I'm not trying to tell you my way is better. You have to read, and sort through, all of the informative posts here, then come to a conclusion that works for you. Good luck!

Reactions: Oso
I don't think this latest firmware release was anywhere near normal. So many problems introduced by it. That's just how I roll..................... I'm in the "just-in-case" camp. I want to know my bird has a fresh IMU, Gimble and Compass calibration after every firmware update. Everyone is different............. I'm not trying to tell you my way is better. You have to read, and sort through, all of the informative posts here, then come to a conclusion that works for you. Good luck!
Well said.

I'm a bit fanatical about performing every possible calibration after an update. Sometimes twice with multiple cycles of power. As was this case in the latest update. When done, moved P3 from level location to its case. Next day turned it on and got IMU message and need to update message. Don't believe I did anything wrong to trigger messages.

I trust the app to tell me if I need calibration of any sort. Only do compass if I move like 100 miles away from my usual haunts. I seemed to have more calibration errors when I did them every flight with the P2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20