IMU / Compass disconnected after light crash

Reaction score
Lost a prop about 1 to 2 feet off the ground. P4 rolled and landed on dirt on its side. When I start it now, it continues to beep at me. Gimbal calibrates and camera takes photo. However, for IMU and Compass, I get a disconnected error. Should I replace Part 43 - Main Controller ??

Lost a prop about 1 to 2 feet off the ground. P4 rolled and landed on dirt on its side. When I start it now, it continues to beep at me. Gimbal calibrates and camera takes photo. However, for IMU and Compass, I get a disconnected error. Should I replace Part 43 - Main Controller ??
Was the landing gear bent or damaged?
It's common for one of the very thin wires to a compass sensor to be damaged in a crash, disconnecting the compass sensor.
Check the Sensors section of your app settings to see if both compasses are still connected or not.

If the bird is beeping after crash you must have disconnected a ribbon cable. If I was you I would crack open the bird and check all connections on the module first.

Reactions: Santiego
I’m with Meta on this.
Pull the access caps on the gear legs.
Wedge the caps out from the top and you might be able to reuse them.
There are two with a 3 wire connector and two antenna wire (push on - circle type connection). I’m assuming P4P and P4 are the same in this respect. Seem like these would be the most logical to disconnect after a light crash. If you don’t find anything, then you might need to go Alan’s route and split the case, looking for other wire/ribbon disconnections. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Really appreciate that guys. I did check the compass wires in the legs and at the internal connections. Re-seated them along with the ribbons in the legs, and no change. I'm now planning to do more of a full disassembly to check all connections and may also replace the main controller board while I'm at it, since it's only $70, and does appear to have some water corrosion.

In Ph3, ESCs beep when they can't get any response from FC.

If one or two beep, I'd say more likely ESC board issue than FC issue.
If all beep, then yeah, they can't talk to FC at all. Check solder points around it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj