Imu calibration

Reaction score
Hey guys anybody know if i can do the imu calibration indoors. And if i cant does it matter am in the third floor..?

You can do it anywhere....the main thing that matters is to make sure it's on a perfectly level surface. (And preferably as cold as possible).

I just re-calibrated my IMU and then my gimbal indoors. Worked just fine. I'm in a townhouse condo and did it on the second floor. The key is to find a place that is away from a lot of EMI and RFI and is absolutely level. I used an iPhone app with a bubble level to find a level spot...​

Awesome am at 40 degrees so ill just oppen the balcony for a good 30 mins before starting

You can actually put it on the balcony for about 20 minutes, then bring it inside to a perfectly level surface (determined with a carpenter's level). Your kitchen table will do, if it's level. Have everything ready to go ahead of time. And then calibrate before it gets warm. You don't need to chill your home.

We've had some heated (pun not intended) discussions here about putting the Phantom in the fridge for 20 minutes before the IMU calibration. That works just fine, too. A refrigerator is not below freezing, and it's not humid inside. I'm a former ski-racing timing official. We handled complicated electronics in much colder conditions. I use the fridge in the summer, and have never had a bad flight.

You only need to calibrate the IMU when your Phantom may have been bumped badly during travel, after a firmware update, or if it seems to be flying oddly.

Reactions: Mako79
Just to add - Redo an IMU if your P3 takes too long to warm up. This happens when you go to a colder climate. At the base of mount Wellington in Tasmania, it was 25 degs celcius. At the summit it was 9 degrees celcius and the phantom required a minute IMU warm up where it usually was instantaneous.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31