IMU Calibration

Reaction score
I've had my P3A for awhile and have been though 3 Firmware Updates up to the current 1.6 -- question is, do I hv to calibrate the IMU? And, (stupid question) what is the IMU?
I've flown many times with no issues. I'm afraid (I guess) of updating stuff I'm not sure about. Also, is there anything else I need to calibrate? Thank You

I just updated my Phantom 3 pro to the latest firmware and after I updated I did the IMU calibration, then the gimbal calibration then the RC calibration then when I go out to fly next time I will do the Phantom calibration (DJI Dance), I would do these steps everytime I do a new firmware update, the IMU calibration isnt hard to do just make sure where you have the phantom sitting that it is totally level and start the calibration it doesnt take very long to do, I would also put the phantom in the fridge for say half an hour or so, so that it is cool when you start cause the IMU calibration warms the phantom up real hot, I set mine outside here cause it was -17 degrees cecius here, left it out for about 15 mins then did the IMU calibration and after it was done shut it off let it cool for half hour then do the gimbal and RC calibration and you should be set to go... hope this helps you out

Reactions: jryser
Squidley..... Thanks for the info. I'll hv to search the DJIGO app for the IMU and Gimbal calibration...thank you

I just updated my Phantom 3 pro to the latest firmware and after I updated I did the IMU calibration, then the gimbal calibration then the RC calibration then when I go out to fly next time I will do the Phantom calibration (DJI Dance), I would do these steps everytime I do a new firmware update, the IMU calibration isnt hard to do just make sure where you have the phantom sitting that it is totally level and start the calibration it doesnt take very long to do, I would also put the phantom in the fridge for say half an hour or so, so that it is cool when you start cause the IMU calibration warms the phantom up real hot, I set mine outside here cause it was -17 degrees cecius here, left it out for about 15 mins then did the IMU calibration and after it was done shut it off let it cool for half hour then do the gimbal and RC calibration and you should be set to go... hope this helps you out
Perfect explanation! I put mine in the beer fridge for about an hour before doing the calibration. When it is cold, it won't take the aircraft as long to earn up.

Squidley..... Thanks for the info. I'll hv to search the DJIGO app for the IMU and Gimbal calibration...thank you
Look under the aircraft>sensors once in camera view. Do it even if it says you don't have to if you just did update.

I've had my P3A for awhile and have been though 3 Firmware Updates up to the current 1.6 -- question is, do I hv to calibrate the IMU? And, (stupid question) what is the IMU?
I've flown many times with no issues. I'm afraid (I guess) of updating stuff I'm not sure about. Also, is there anything else I need to calibrate? Thank You
IMU is the Phantom's "Internal Measuring Unit"

I would avoid this if everything is going well. If it is flying perfectly you are just creating a chance for it to be messed up...

It is best to calibrate the IMU and compass after each firmware change. Most likely the new firmware preserves the existing calibration but there is a chance DJI overwrites it with a difference calibration. DJI is not consistent with their firmware releases so it is best to be safe.

You should also double check all of your settings as those may change as well.

Maybe a duh question but . . . Do you do the IMU calibration outside in full view of the satellites or can it be done indoors? Other question if I haven't done an IMU calibration since I got the P3P in June, would this explain why my drone still drifts a bit when in hover mode?

Maybe a duh question but . . . Do you do the IMU calibration outside in full view of the satellites or can it be done indoors? Other question if I haven't done an IMU calibration since I got the P3P in June, would this explain why my drone still drifts a bit when in hover mode?
I did my IMU calibration in the house on the kitchen floor, I would do the IMU calibration then a compass calibration as well that should help with your drift problems

when you do the imu calabration it has to be cold and done on a perfectly level surface.
use a level to check this.

I assume we are putting the "battery" in the fridge for awhile prior to IMU calibration.
I also assume I can immediately calibrate the compass after I have calibrated the IMU.
I also assume the IMU is onboard the aircraft and I do not have to complete an IMU/Compass calibration with each of my 3 batteries(?)
Hey, what can I say I'm old so I can use the brain cell loss excuse...Thank You

Not the battery. The Phantom needs to be cold when you start the IMU calilbration.

Yes, you can do the compass calibration immediately afterward. Just don't be near anything that will cause magnetic interference.

Yes, the IMU is on the Phantom itself. You don't need to do it with each battery.

Thank you barefootbeachcombing --- just the aircraft in the fridge without the battery?
Happy New Year

have the controler ready to do the imu calabration once you have turned the a/c on.
it will heat up very fast and u will loose all the cold you will need to do the calabration.

No, you do not need satellites for the calibration. Do your IMU calibration somewhere that is totally level & make sure craft is kept completely still. Don't bump table or disturb craft while in the process.
The IMU calibration is under sensors on the screen as shown.
As far as sticking in the fridge, I personally do not do that, it is cool where I live now & have not had any problem. I just do not want to take a chance of condensation forming inside my camera. Some people swear by the refrigerator method while others don't. It is just personal preference. Good luck & enjoy your quad.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1451622775.525885.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair