IMU calibration

Reaction score
Anyone know when you first start up the phantom 3. Pro before I get the green light in the app telling me it's good to fly I get tHe message IMU needs calibrating is this normal at startup or should I do it

Not normal at all. Do NOT fly until you do the IMU calibration.

Make sure the phantom has not run for at least 30 minutes, the IMU has to be cool to do this accurately. Place it on a surface that is 100% level- no outdoor concrete or anything.

Reactions: brianb87
Not normal at all. Do NOT fly until you do the IMU calibration.

Make sure the phantom has not run for at least 30 minutes, the IMU has to be cool to do this accurately. Place it on a surface that is 100% level- no outdoor concrete or anything.
Some people will put it in the fridge for 30 minutes. They say it warms up a lot faster doing a "cold IMU'.

Reactions: lotusteve
it does, im in Michigan so i just left it outside in the garage for 30 and then brought inside for the calibration. Ive also done it when its warm after flight. its a 2 minute difference when the bird is warming up

Reactions: brianb87
it does, im in Michigan so i just left it outside in the garage for 30 and then brought inside for the calibration. Ive also done it when its warm after flight. its a 2 minute difference when the bird is warming up

Same here, Howell. Its defiantly cold enough at night to leave it out for a bit then do an IMU.

Procedure
1. You have a new bird so first do FW upgrades for it and RC
2. After upgrading suecesfuly do IMU cali
3. Put bird in fridge for 15 to 30 min be careful for condensation and remove sd and bat from bird
4. Put the bird on a pre leveled surface , make sure bird is 100 % on the level use spirit level
5 when cali reaches 100 % and ok u r done
6 do rc cali with bird off
7 do gimbal cali
8 do compass cali and MOD value should be around 1500

Procedure
1. You have a new bird so first do FW upgrades for it and RC
2. After upgrading suecesfuly do IMU cali
3. Put bird in fridge for 15 to 30 min be careful for condensation and remove sd and bat from bird
4. Put the bird on a pre leveled surface , make sure bird is 100 % on the level use spirit level
5 when cali reaches 100 % and ok u r done
6 do rc cali with bird off
7 do gimbal cali
8 do compass cali and MOD value should be around 1500

Exactly this.

Personally, I wouldn't trust the fridge and given the changing weather (at least up here in the North East) I'd just leave it outside... but many people seem to have fridge'd it without condensation being an issue. Newer/fancier fridges will be less likely to cause condensation.

step 3 above says remove sd card and Bat from bird, im assuming your meaning battery, and if so how do you do the calibration with the battery removed?

Exactly this.

Personally, I wouldn't trust the fridge and given the changing weather (at least up here in the North East) I'd just leave it outside... but many people seem to have fridge'd it without condensation being an issue. Newer/fancier fridges will be less likely to cause condensation.
I used the freezer for about 3 minutes--- worked great!

step 3 above says remove sd card and Bat from bird, im assuming your meaning battery, and if so how do you do the calibration with the battery removed?
When you get ready to do the IMU out of the fridge, put the battery and SD card back in:)

I used the freezer for about 3 minutes--- worked great!

I've also seen videos where the app is opened and ready to go when calibrating so the phantom has less time to heat up before and during the calibration. Rather then turning on the RC, Phantom, then the app on. Open the App, RC then Phantom. Whether it's works/makes a difference, I don't know.

I've also seen videos where the app is opened and ready to go when calibrating so the phantom has less time to heat up before and during the calibration. Rather then turning on the RC, Phantom, then the app on. Open the App, RC then Phantom. Whether it's works/makes a difference, I don't know.
I really don't think it makes a difference, mine connects now and is ready to fly in about 20 to 30 seconds-- fast enough for me.
I did it before without putting it in the freezer to cool it off and it took about two minutes, didn't like that.:D

I really don't think it makes a difference, mine connects now and is ready to fly in about 20 to 30 seconds-- fast enough for me.
I did it before without putting it in the freezer to cool it off and it took about two minutes, didn't like that.:D
2 minutes is a long time. 20-30 seconds even seems high. Mine is usually around 10 seconds or so.

Just remove the SD card and the batary before you pop the bird in the fridge. The moment you pop it out you set it on your pre leveled surcace and start IMU calibration.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie