Reaction score
Hi all

As many others I've got IMU Calibration issues. The problem is that when I start the calibration on the 2% it's telling me "Unknown Error". I've tried to cool it down as much as possible(put it in my working shed whit all the electrical equipment around plugged of the sockets(no electrical interferon)) What ever I've try I'm getting the same thing again and again and again. You will probably say that I have to update the software... well I'm at the latest firmware already. I believe now is good time to mention the the drone is Phantom 3 Standard and the problem occur after a crash at yacht mast and drop from about 5 meters. The battery was about foot away from the drone when found it. The whole time the lights are blinking from green to red to yellow and it's beeping from the gimbal with D, D - D, D - D, D... pattern. The device I'm trying to calibrate with is Google Nexus 5 as DJI Go app is not running at Nexus 5x.

Please give me any ideas as I run out of them.

Regards
Ikata

Any chance that your working shed is a metal shed?
Not sure if it even matters, but I figured I'd ask.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using TapaTalk

It's not mate. It's 99% wood and glass. Please any help will be useful

Hi all

As many others I've got IMU Calibration issues. The problem is that when I start the calibration on the 2% it's telling me "Unknown Error". I've tried to cool it down as much as possible(put it in my working shed whit all the electrical equipment around plugged of the sockets(no electrical interferon)) What ever I've try I'm getting the same thing again and again and again. You will probably say that I have to update the software... well I'm at the latest firmware already. I believe now is good time to mention the the drone is Phantom 3 Standard and the problem occur after a crash at yacht mast and drop from about 5 meters. The battery was about foot away from the drone when found it. The whole time the lights are blinking from green to red to yellow and it's beeping from the gimbal with D, D - D, D - D, D... pattern. The device I'm trying to calibrate with is Google Nexus 5 as DJI Go app is not running at Nexus 5x.

Please give me any ideas as I run out of them.

Regards
Ikata
My friend had the same problem after crashing is P3S, needed IMU calibration but it would get stuck at 2%,, after trying for a hole day I found on YouTube a guy who said to slap the drone (on the battery).. I tought he was joking but then saw that many peoples where thanking him that it worked for them,, so we tried it,, my friend held the camera steady while I gave 2-3 good slap with palm of my hand on the battery, then we tried IMU calibration agian... TADA,, IT WORKED,, we could not believe it.. I am very serious about this,, try it...

My friend had the same problem after crashing is P3S, needed IMU calibration but it would get stuck at 2%,, after trying for a hole day I found on YouTube a guy who said to slap the drone (on the battery).. I tought he was joking but then saw that many peoples where thanking him that it worked for them,, so we tried it,, my friend held the camera steady while I gave 2-3 good slap with palm of my hand on the battery, then we tried IMU calibration agian... TADA,, IT WORKED,, we could not believe it.. I am very serious about this,, try it...
I've tried what you suggest mate, but no luck as well. Any other ideas? Anybody?

Well. the IMU isn't affected by metal or electrical circuits nearby.
The crucial thing is place it on a solid level surface.
Beware of slightly wobbly tables or even floors which move as you walk about.

Then it wants to be done when cool.
You don't need get overly hung up on this, but find the setting in the app in advance so you can navigate directly to it after starting up.
The internals do warm up quickly when it's sat ticking over.
It may well calibrate while warm but then every time at start up it will have to get up to that higher temperature which can take a couple of minutes outside in cooler weather.

I've tried what you suggest mate, but no luck as well. Any other ideas? Anybody?
I'm sorry it's not working for you, I have no other ideas, we spent about 10 hours that day, trying everything, restarting same process over and over, nothing worked, only thing that did work was hitting the drone,, we did give pretty strong slaps on the battery, don't know if it shook something that was stuck or what, but it worked the first time we tried it. We were about to give up before we tried that.. Maybe try it again, and I hope you can fix your drone. Good luck.

I like history, since your new to the forum, how long have you had the Phantom and did it work before? In other words, what prompted you to do a IMU calibration?

Oh, Welcome to the Forum! :)

Rod

I'm sorry it's not working for you, I have no other ideas, we spent about 10 hours that day, trying everything, restarting same process over and over, nothing worked, only thing that did work was hitting the drone,, we did give pretty strong slaps on the battery, don't know if it shook something that was stuck or what, but it worked the first time we tried it. We were about to give up before we tried that.. Maybe try it again, and I hope you can fix your drone. Good luck.

You said "if it shook something that was stuck or what"

That made decide to post above.

So what are the gyros?
They are mechanical yes?

@Ikata, Reboot the Phantom, Drop kick it!
You got a stuck Gyro. :rolleyes:

:)

Rod

Te idea behind banging it is that one of the sensors can get stuck.
Imagine it like a ball in a box.
It can stick after a minor crash or after a few weeks unused.
You'd have to be quite unlucky for it to happen but in any case a sharp tap will sometimes free it and won't do any harm.
Thanks man, that is what I was thinking!

Te idea behind banging it is that one of the sensors can get stuck.
Imagine it like a ball in a box.
It can stick after a minor crash or after a few weeks unused.
You'd have to be quite unlucky for it to happen but in any case a sharp tap will sometimes free it and won't do any harm.
This is what happened to my friend's phantom, after a crash the dji go app kept asking to calibrate imu, he could not fly it, we tried everything for a whole day nothing worked until I came across the "slap the drone" and it worked right away after that..

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
@Ikata, hey mate, did you get it going?

Rod

You said "if it shook something that was stuck or what"

That made decide to post above.

So what are the gyros?
They are mechanical yes?

@Ikata, Reboot the Phantom, Drop kick it!
You got a stuck Gyro. :rolleyes:

:)

Rod

I think the gyros are solid state devices as will be the rest of the IMU components.

I don't know, somebody does. I was thinking the purpose of the gyro is using the spinning type moment for stability, but it has values like a sensors. When this goofy "slap it came up". I went with it, I guess there are tiny fans in the camera and gimbal, they spin correct? Unless they are solid state? :)
First time this thought has came up. ;)

I was shocked when I found out these Phantoms have barometers.

So in new wash machines there are small circuit boards that are pressure switches or diaphragms, they still have a rubber hose going to them.

Anybody got some more clarifications?

Rod

Added: Well? I guess it is up to me :rolleyes:
https://www.google.com/search?q=solid+state+gyros&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last edited:
I had a small crash with P3S and had "Main Control Data Error" message on the screen, it had me stumped until I found this thread and tried it and it worked. What I also did was insert the battery with a bit more sharp force. Thanks to RodPad for sharing link to this thread...wahoo I am good to go now.

Reactions: RodPad
I no longer do IMU calibration indoors or anywhere near tools / metal / interference. Why ?

Look at the IMU page and the bottom line is Compass.

I now do my IMU calibration at same location as Compass calibration. To make sure no errors.

First checking of course that ground is level and suitable.

I can only assume that the compass part of the IMU is probably the interface of the two. So in my mind is worth that extra care.

Nigel

Reactions: Alan Russel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic