IMU calibration platform

Nice jig. I would prefer to use brass hardware. Not sure if it matters but still.

Reactions: Royr1957
It doesn't matter.
When you calibrate the IMU it's all about the gyros/accellerometers and barometer.
It doesn't involve the compass at all.
That's why you can do it indoors.
Many times I had to move away from my fridge as I was getting compass error during IMU calibration. Noticed Compass values were reaching almost 1675

I always believe theories are the basis for actions but reality is what one has to believe in.

Many times I had to move away from my fridge as I was getting compass error during IMU calibration. Noticed Compass values were reaching almost 1675
I always believe theories are the basis for actions but reality is what one has to believe in.
The compass is still working when the Phantom is turned on and you are recalibrating the IMU.
But the compass is not being calibrated in the IMU calibration process.
The compass is simply telling you that it is detecting the magnetic field of the fridge and it is significantly different from what it has been calibrated for.
Move the Phantom and the compass is back to normal.

The compass is still working when the Phantom is turned on and you are recalibrating the IMU.
But the compass is not being calibrated in the IMU calibration process.
The compass is simply telling you that it is detecting the magnetic field of the fridge and it is significantly different from what it has been calibrated for.
Move the Phantom and the compass is back to normal.
Agree.

Is it not amazing that how much we learn through open discussions in this FORUM? And there is always something to learn if you listen to others views.

Hey...this is clever...and you just gave me an idea!

LandingPlatform_Idea.jpg

Screwing a an arca plate to this old shoe rack will let me clamp it onto and old tripod with ball head (all lying around here), at which point I'll get:

• adjustable tripod feet for any surface contour
• easy take off/landing above grass/obstacles
• built-in levels for landing platform (allow calibration anywhere, if needed)
• panning base on there now would actually make compass calibration pretty fast, too (the platform rotates on loosening it)

And here's the great part; using a mostly open rack like that might just vent enough downdraft to cut the ground effect turbulence down a bit. I'm clearly going to have to try this

Hey...this is clever...and you just gave me an idea!

View attachment 51385

Screwing a an arca plate to this old shoe rack will let me clamp it onto and old tripod with ball head (all lying around here), at which point I'll get:

• adjustable tripod feet for any surface contour
• easy take off/landing above grass/obstacles
• built-in levels for landing platform (allow calibration anywhere, if needed)
• panning base on there now would actually make compass calibration pretty fast, too (the platform rotates on loosening it)

And here's the great part; using a mostly open rack like that might just vent enough downdraft to cut the ground effect turbulence down a bit. I'm clearly going to have to try this

Great idea! Let me know how it works..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.