IMU Cal question from relatively new guy

Reaction score
Last week I took my P2V to our astronomy club's annual star party, a week out in the country camping and using telescopes. I had hoped to shoot lots of cool video flying over the field full of scopes (not over people, very carefully). I got one flight in, and when I tried again I found I had a very pronounced left yaw and some control issues, accompanied by a notice on my phone that I had an IMU error, and needed to do a cal to fix it. Of course, I was 125 miles away from my computer, so the P2V spent the rest of the week in the car.

I just plugged it in to do the cal, and of course had to do the upgrade of the firmware to get to the cal. But when I got to the IMU cal page, it said everything was fine, and no cal was needed. Sitting on my desk, it shows green and three reds (and I have 4 sats, so that sounds right) and I am not getting an error message on my phone. Unfortunately, it's pretty warm right now, and it says it is too hot to do an IMU cal.

But, my newbie question is, was the hard left yaw likely the result of the IMU problem, and was that problem likely fixed by the upgrade, and therefore I don't need to do the IMU cal? I figure I will do the cal once it cools off, but I am wondering if I should be worried or if this is a standard problem, which the upgrade may have fixed?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I didn't see any threads on this exact topic. And, thanks for the help. I really like my quadcopter, but am a tad worried by the error.

hal

Don't have an answer for you but the too warm notice is a known bug. Do the IMU calibration anyway. I would also do the compass calibration.

BTW I have a P2V that went swimming. It likely has a bad IMU unit and it too would suddenly yaw for no reason. I will eventually replace the NAZA module and report back.

Geo

shopsmithy said:
Last week I took my P2V to our astronomy club's annual star party, a week out in the country camping and using telescopes. I had hoped to shoot lots of cool video flying over the field full of scopes (not over people, very carefully). I got one flight in, and when I tried again I found I had a very pronounced left yaw and some control issues, accompanied by a notice on my phone that I had an IMU error, and needed to do a cal to fix it. Of course, I was 125 miles away from my computer, so the P2V spent the rest of the week in the car.

I just plugged it in to do the cal, and of course had to do the upgrade of the firmware to get to the cal. But when I got to the IMU cal page, it said everything was fine, and no cal was needed. Sitting on my desk, it shows green and three reds (and I have 4 sats, so that sounds right) and I am not getting an error message on my phone. Unfortunately, it's pretty warm right now, and it says it is too hot to do an IMU cal.

But, my newbie question is, was the hard left yaw likely the result of the IMU problem, and was that problem likely fixed by the upgrade, and therefore I don't need to do the IMU cal? I figure I will do the cal once it cools off, but I am wondering if I should be worried or if this is a standard problem, which the upgrade may have fixed?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I didn't see any threads on this exact topic. And, thanks for the help. I really like my quadcopter, but am a tad worried by the error.

hal

Are your numbers good for the Compass Raw ?
How far did you travel with the Vision...was it in another state ?
Did you store the Phantom in a carry case on your trip. Was it on top of a car or van, in the trunk etc ?

Did you perform a Compass calibration before your first flight when you arrived ?
Lots of things can affect the cal on the IMU and Compass.

New revisions need to be tested after updates are performed.
Have you watched any videos from DJI. On how to cal and perform checks in the Assistant ?

I HIGHLY RECCOMMEND to watch these instructional vidoes by ex-DJI rep Colin Guinn, they are SUPER informative and will help tremendously in your learning curve about this aircraft. I know it did for me.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKdBxMmo0FvQsSk68LnOXQtPlYyhRidcp

Thanks very much for the advice. I did have one TBE crash several weeks ago, but have flown happily since then. I do a cal dance before every flight, and did so at the astronomy site. I had one flight that was fine, and only had the IMU error warning on my phone after that flight. I tried twice more (with multiple calibration attempts), but each time I lifted off, it yawed hard to the left and I had to set it down.

I do have it home now, and did the basic cal. Unfortunately, yesterday was really warm, and when I tried to do the advanced cal and the IMU cal, it said it was overheated. It is quite a bit cooler today, so I'll try again when I get home and will let you know.

I truly appreciate the help of the experts! Still pretty new at this -- total of about 20 flights.

shopsmithy said:
Thanks very much for the advice. I did have one TBE crash several weeks ago, but have flown happily since then. I do a cal dance before every flight, and did so at the astronomy site. I had one flight that was fine, and only had the IMU error warning on my phone after that flight. I tried twice more (with multiple calibration attempts), but each time I lifted off, it yawed hard to the left and I had to set it down.

I do have it home now, and did the basic cal. Unfortunately, yesterday was really warm, and when I tried to do the advanced cal and the IMU cal, it said it was overheated. It is quite a bit cooler today, so I'll try again when I get home and will let you know.

I truly appreciate the help of the experts! Still pretty new at this -- total of about 20 flights.

That error is a bug...you can cancel it and keep going.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic