IMU and Barometer Errors after First Flight. Please Help!

Reaction score
image.png
image.png
I took out my new P3 Pro the other day and it worked no problem. I then tried it again the next day and got the dreaded RYG LEDs.... The app is saying the IMU initialization has failed and that there is a barometer error (see picture). I've updated all the firmware, tried to reset it multiple times and run the IMU calibration multiple times but nothing changes. The weird thing is, all the sensors appear to be operational (see picture). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your compass readings is way off. Did you do a compass calibration away from metal objects?, are you doing the imu calibration on a level surface and when the quad is really cold?

Those compass numbers are ginourmous. When's the last time you did a compass calibration away from metal structures etc preferably out in a field? Also did you do you IMU calibration on a completely level surface?

Your compass readings is way off. Did you do a compass calibration away from metal objects?, are you doing the imu calibration on a level surface and when the quad is really cold?

The compass if off now as I am inside in a different area than I was flying it earlier. But the problem was happening before when the compas was calibrated. I will try to recalibrate now though and see if it makes a difference.

Does the quad need to be really cold when running the IMU calibration? I am trying to run it inside a 6th floor condo so I assume it is level but maybe not perfectly level.

image.png
Just redid the compass calibration outside and IMU Calibration but still getting same errors...

I've read on these forums and others that a crash could have jarred the sensors and given me this problem but it doesn't make any sense. Only thing I can think is that it was jarred during shipping (my father-in-law got it here in China directly from DJI in Shenzen) but that doesn't make a lot of sense either as it worked just fine when I took it out the first time.

Last edited:
When doing the IMU before you start get a level and check the quad from front to back and side to side. Perfectly l gel will definately help when it comes to hovering versus your unit drifting some. Definately level!!!

When doing the IMU before you start get a level and check the quad from front to back and side to side. Perfectly l gel will definately help when it comes to hovering versus your unit drifting some. Definately level!!!
i'd be happy if it even took off at this point... With IMU and barometer errors I'm getting I can't even get my bird off the ground to even worry about drift. I will be sure to get it fully level and recalibrate though before I fly again, once I get this fixed.

Looks like a warranty issue. I'd start the process ....

Sigh.

Many monthes ago, a friend of mine got the same issue after few flights on a P3A. At that time DJI Go app let you format the internal data MC Sd ... It was enough to reformat and everithing went fixed... But now you can't format it, so I don't know how you could do that (unless you take it out and format externally!) ... I think @WetDog gave you the best suggestion ...

Reactions: Mako79
I spoke with DJI support yesterday and the recommended I e-mail support to "start the RMA or swap process" as it is a warranty issue. Problem is I am headed back to the US in a week from China so we'll see how this process goes. Thanks everyone for the help!

IMU calibration has to be done on the ground outside (not on the 6th floor of a condo, not on the kitchen table 3ft off the ground in an AC room, not in NY and flown in CA).
Go to a floor tile place, look around as interested of redoing you floor, ask for a tile sample (flat and big), bring it home, put it on the ground in a very open space, use wedges to check it is 100% flat, have your drone in the car with AC running for 15 min, bring the drone by the legs to the tile and calibrate then and there. Compass can be done later in a metal/interference free area.
Do you fly as startup base from the 6th floor, or from the kitchen counter, or inside an AC room?
At startup the drone is in IMU warming up mode, in other words is looking around and collects data in its sensors before ready to fly, including the outside air pressure=barometer reading.

Many monthes ago, a friend of mine got the same issue after few flights on a P3A. At that time DJI Go app let you format the internal data MC Sd ... It was enough to reformat and everithing went fixed... But now you can't format it, so I don't know how you could do that (unless you take it out and format externally!) ... I think @WetDog gave you the best suggestion ...

1+ Its a corrupt SD Card.
Advanced - MC Data Error...

I have taken the card out before by slitting the white glue on each side. It should fold out and not slide out.

IMU calibration has to be done on the ground outside (not on the 6th floor of a condo, not on the kitchen table 3ft off the ground in an AC room, not in NY and flown in CA).
Go to a floor tile place, look around as interested of redoing you floor, ask for a tile sample (flat and big), bring it home, put it on the ground in a very open space, use wedges to check it is 100% flat, have your drone in the car with AC running for 15 min, bring the drone by the legs to the tile and calibrate then and there. Compass can be done later in a metal/interference free area.
Do you fly as startup base from the 6th floor, or from the kitchen counter, or inside an AC room?
At startup the drone is in IMU warming up mode, in other words is looking around and collects data in its sensors before ready to fly, including the outside air pressure=barometer reading.
Im curious to learn why being performed in an outside location is important for an IMU calibration. Compass calibratiom i can understand given the influence of ferrous metal likley to be in close proximity.

Critical to IMU cal, it would seem, is a perfectly level surface not subject to vibration or other movement during the proceedure. I have never had an issue with the granite benchtop in my kitchen for calibration purposes or the snooker table. Both are perfectly level and stable.

Have you had a bad experience?

Im curious to learn why being performed in an outside location is important for an IMU calibration.
IMU is routinely done indoors on the famous "perfectly level surface." I would personally never recommend doing an IMU cal outdoors, and I dont recall ever seeing anyone recommend it. Of course it doesnt really matter if you can put together a level surface, I just havent seen anyone saying it has to be outdoors until this thread.

Last edited:

IMU can be done anywhere as long as the bird is as level as can be.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl