Improve video quality?

Reaction score
So I took my Phantom on it's first flight yesterday. All went smooth! When I got home I was quite impressed with the quality of the photos, especially the closer ones. But the video seems not-so-great and certainly didn't look HD to me. I filmed around 6:30pm on a partly cloudy day. I know lighting could play a big part. But the photos turned out phenomenal in my opinion. I'm wondering why my video doesn't look as good as P2V+ ones I've seen on YouTube :?

Are there any simple settings I should adjust to make something look better. I haven't downloaded the PC software yet. Should I? It seemed to fly fine out of the box without an upgrade. Is there a benefit/risk? Thanks guys!

Joe

Unfortunately not much you can do. The camera has a poor bitrate and the artifacting and general lack of sharpness look is due to this. Certain days will yield better results based on lighting conditions but overall you will not get anything near what the gopro can do for video. However they do take decent stills.

Actually there are several different settings you can use depending on the lighting. If you haven't hooked it up to a computer, you probably don't have the latest firmware. Also in the assistant you have to pick which rate the camera will record. You can choose raw or JPEG, ect. You should read the manual. :lol:

Actually the video wasn't bad until the ;ast two firmware updates too place. Now it is so jacked up it takes some of the enjoyment away from flying. Even the coloring in the video looks fake. You climb above 150ft in your neighborhood and everyones driveways turn white as snow.

The best settings that I could come up with are 1080p 30fps wide. -0.3 image compensation. Spot(can't remember category). Everything else is either default or set to auto. Btw, I'm working on a deal now with ragecams to get something going with their lens setup.

Narrow fov looks so much better then normal 105 ° fov. No aliasing moire and color displacement. 1080p 30fps narrow is the way to go.

You should also change the sharpening setting to "SOFT", then apply sharpening in your video editor.

InterMurph said:
You should also change the sharpening setting to "SOFT", then apply sharpening in your video editor.

No need for that. Just film in narrow and all effects you're trying to avoid by using soft sharpinging arent there to begin with.

Thanks guys. I will try those and actually read the manual this weekend :p

I knew the risk going with the P2V+ and it's stock camera but it looked good enough from the demo videos I saw. I know the GoPro's are all much better. Hopefully these models aren't severely outdated by next summer. But that's technology for ya!

I was just a little shocked to see my first "HD video" look like it came from a camera I owned 10 years ago back in my college days. Maybe I just need the sun, but unfortunately I live in Washington state, haha.

PayDayPirate said:
Thanks guys. I will try those and actually read the manual this weekend :p

I knew the risk going with the P2V+ and it's stock camera but it looked good enough from the demo videos I saw. I know the GoPro's are all much better. Hopefully these models aren't severely outdated by next summer. But that's technology for ya!

I was just a little shocked to see my first "HD video" look like it came from a camera I owned 10 years ago back in my college days. Maybe I just need the sun, but unfortunately I live in Washington state, haha.

Please do yourself a huge favor and read the manual in full before you fly again. This is the best way to avoid any flyaways and crashes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1