Impressed with Phantom 4 Collision Avoidance!

Reaction score
I would like to say that I took my Phantom 3 and Phantom 4 into the skies together to see if the Phantom 4 would recognize another drone in the air with the collision avoidance system. It was a little scary but full throttle on the stick and it didn't even budge! Kudos to DJI for a great system so far!
File_000.png

I tested my collision avoidance on a couple of instances today. It picks up cactus trees, so not too bad!

Please remember that the greatest collision danger are power lines. Can the avoidance system detect those?

I'm a seasoned P3P pilot and can see trees and cell towers so avoidance systems arent necessary for those types of large objects that can be easily seen on the FPV screen. But those **** power lines are nearly invisible! :eek:

Glad to see positive feedback!! I love my p4 so far. Very interested in a power line recognition test. Maybe I'll setup a prop about 5 feet off the ground to simulate power lines and do a little test with a video.

Reactions: Richard in ky
Glad to see positive feedback!! I love my p4 so far. Very interested in a power line recognition test. Maybe I'll setup a prop about 5 feet off the ground to simulate power lines and do a little test with a video.
You could set something up using toilet paper at various widths that way it wouldn't hurt if you crashed into it. Maybe a long piece rowed up to the width of a power line may have to color it somehow.

You could set something up using toilet paper at various widths that way it wouldn't hurt if you crashed into it. Maybe a long piece rowed up to the width of a power line may have to color it somehow.
Are you sure toilet paper on the propellers while the drone is flying won't hurt?

Are you sure toilet paper on the propellers while the drone is flying won't hurt?
I think I would test running into toilet paper with a cheaper drone first but I don't think that it could cause a hard crash from 5 or so feet high like running into a hard target. My guess is that the blades would chop through it like it wasn't even there or that the momentum of the drone would brake right through it. But it was just a suggestion don't want you to crash your drone by doing a test for our benefit.

Last edited:
I tested mine yesterday, collision avoidance worked great, but I couldn't figure out how to make it avoid while adjusting its path, rather than just stopping. Anyone have any tips?

I haven't tried them but there are a few selection in the avoidance screen where you can set it so that it can go backwards, over or around objects aare just stop.

Last edited:
I haven't tried them but there are a few selection in the avoidance screen where you can set it so that it can go backwards, over or around objects aare just stop.

I've played with those settings, but it will only come to a stop. I've tried it with the 3ft tall chain link fence, a porta potty and my car.

I tested my collision avoidance on a couple of instances today. It picks up cactus trees, so not too bad!
How close can you get before the Collision Avoidance causes the aircraft to stop.

I see you were within 6ft, red bars and I'm sure the alarm was going off like crazy.

That's as close as I got to my garage, 6ft. pretty close, didn't want to wreck the thing. So I backed off.

Have you gone to the point, where the aircraft just stops?

I tested mine yesterday, collision avoidance worked great, but I couldn't figure out how to make it avoid while adjusting its path, rather than just stopping. Anyone have any tips?
If you were flying straight towards something yes it will just stop. The object avoidance to where it fly's around something works with the active track, follow me, and also on RTH. It will also stop if it needs to in those modes also, depending on how much it sees in front of it. In RTH it's suppose to rise in elevation then continue if an object is seen.

I've used active track following my son running. He stopped and ran back towards it and it backed up, almost into a tree. Wish it had eyes in the back of its head! Close one. It done great in making sure it kept a pretty equal distance throughout his maneuvers.

So, I have seen it avoid by stopping and backing up buy haven't had a situation for it to fly around anything yet. I usually turn it off during some of my flights because I'm trying to do close flights to objects. Don't want it doing weird maneuvers on its own but if I were doing a long range flight then I turn it back on.

Sent from my XT1096 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20