Important Info When Performing Updates

Reaction score
Lately I've been reading alot of folks having issues with software updates - gimbals not working, erratic flights, etc... I just wanted to point out another of the many software quirks.

Whenever you do a software update - document your existing settings prior to doing update, so you have something to fall back on incase something goes awry. Easiest way is to go into assistant, go to tools (same page as IMU calibration) and download your existing settings BEFORE updating.

Why I mention this is because in recent updates, in ALOT of cases (NOT ALL) the new update resets your battery warning levels to a very "light" setting - which inturn can make your Phantoms flight time extremely short and literally make your Phantom fall out of the sky if you're not aware of the change. I've caught this 3 times in the last week while working on other pilots Phantoms. Bottom line : DOUBLE CHECK ALL OF YOUR SETTINGS AFTER PERFORMING UPDATES

Just an FYI...

EMCSQUAR said:
Why I mention this is because in recent updates, in ALOT of cases (NOT ALL) the new update resets your battery warning levels to a very "light" setting - which inturn can make your Phantoms flight time extremely short and literally make your Phantom fall out of the sky if you're not aware of the change. I've caught this 3 times in the last week while working on other pilots Phantoms. Bottom line : DOUBLE CHECK ALL OF YOUR SETTINGS AFTER PERFORMING UPDATES

Just an FYI...

I am not familiar with the light setting. Can you explain? I have found my flight time has dropped to 12 mins vs 16 I was getting before. I wondered if it had to do with an update since I haven't changed anything drastic.

I've gotten in the habit of taking a screen shot of each page and each tab in the Assistant(s) before performing an update. Then double checking settings before flying with the new update.

Would I be missing a setting(s) by not using "download". A hidden setting?

lightingbryan said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Just an FYI...

I am not familiar with the light setting. Can you explain? I have found my flight time has dropped to 12 mins vs 16 I was getting before. I wondered if it had to do with an update since I haven't changed anything drastic.

By "light" you might find first warning coming on at 11.8 and second 11.4 (which I found twice this week) Clients original warnings were - 1st warning 10.8, 2nd warning 10.6 - these mysteriously changed when we upgraded software.

Buk said:
I've gotten in the habit of taking a screen shot of each page and each tab in the Assistant(s) before performing an update. Then double checking settings before flying with the new update.

Would I be missing a setting(s) by not using "download". A hidden setting?

No actually your way is fine - downloading just saves your settings to a file on your desktop that you can reload anytime. This is also convenient if you are experimenting w/gains or if you change gains when using different props or for different types of flying. You can download each set of settings and label them per application.

I wonder if the "downloading" is a PC function? I glanced through my Macintosh screenshots and don't see a download button. I'll double check when I have the Assistant running again.

Thanks for telling us about this tech tip.

Buk said:
I wonder if the "downloading" is a PC function? I glanced through my Macintosh screenshots and don't see a download button. I'll double check when I have the Assistant running again.

Thanks for telling us about this tech tip.

I haven't seen the MAC version of assistant but it should be on same page where you do IMU calibration.

Aint broke no need to fix
simple I haven't done the last two up dates haven't fallen from the sky can fly were ever I like ... :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers