IMPORTANT: DJI Go app 2.50/2.51 enables GEO functionality

alokbhargava

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
DJI Go 2.50 iOS is available today.

Do you see anything new for Phantom 3?

------------------------------Latest Summary---------

Lots of posts have been made on this topic, let me summarize (Jan 16, 2016)

1. All later App versions such as 2.42, 2.43, 2.50, 2.51 are infected with NFZs

It is claimed that Combination GO- 2.4.1, FW- 1.4.10 and RC- 1.4.30...works like a charm with no NFZs.

One of the iOS devices with App 2.4.0 also exhibited capability to fetch and display NFZs

2. NFZs are stored on a separate DJI's server. DJI go app has ability to fetch and display NFZs. We don't know when exactly was this capability added. Tests are showing that it was added some time around the release of 2.4.0

3. NFZ server is active since release of app version 2.5. Initially it was restricting flying even in the vicinity of helipads, hospitals etc but now it is showing only airports as NFZs this is a relief to all drone fliers

4. There have been multiple reports of unusual GPS behavior with app 2.5 release. Taking longer to get to SAFE TO FLY, dropping in and out of GPS when it was always stable before, less satellites than normal.

5. DJI has revised NFZ data on their servers. Red areas have shrunk in sizes, yellow areas are disappearing. This is a changing temp phase.

6. No difference so far found between 2.50 and 2.51. DJIs text for the fix is unclear.

7. RC stores last map with NFZs.

8. DJI app 2.5.1 crashes if NFZs servers have issues. Too risky to work with server based solution.

9. It may be advisable to keep your device in "airplane" mode when flying to avoid servers interference.

10. Many have flown successfully with 2.5.1 App, few are still stuck because of NFZs in their zones.

11. DJI Go App 2.5.1 is functionally ok to use. Do not fly in your NFZs.

I will summarize again when new facts emerge out.

Last edited:
DJI Go 2.50 iOS is available today.
Do you see anything new for Phantom 3?
What's New
1. The Osmo now notifies users when switching between Upright, Underslung and Flashlight modes.
2. Lightbridge 2 plus the A2 support Home Lock, Course Lock and Point of Interest.
3. Brand new epic templates coming in five themes of Love, Travel, Companionship, Music and Change.
4. Look back on your 2015 flight log and share your memories with others. The "2016 I will..." campaign is now live!

Nothing there that looks like a compelling reason to update this time.
1&2 aren't for the Phantom and 3&4 aren't likely to be much use to most people.

I installed today and when I started it displays "Approaching No Fly Zone". I HAD NEVER SEEN THIS MESSAGE BEFORE.

DJI IS TOTALLY SILENT ABOUT THIS CHANGE ON DJI GO APP 2.5. WHY???????????

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452494690.718962.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452494750.677332.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452495715.179948.jpg

I don't see any place to fly now, I am trapped.

Last edited:
Reactions: San Diego Jimmer
The DJI app is right...you don't want to break the vase.
I never thought it won't allow me to even fly inside my home to save my vase :) The nearest helipad is ~5 miles away from my home located in a hospital.

Cant I even fly at height of 100' outside home? Feel so sad :(

GUYS YOU ARE TRAPPED TOTALLY WITH DJI GO APP 2.50.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
You got it wrong! The app is to save you from your wife if you smash the vase...:)
Message to us is don't have Vase or Wife if you like to fly inside your sweet home.

Haha That is right, the upgrade is to protect you from your Wife brutality haha. Kidding aside, this is a No No to me.

Reactions: crane-man
Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Obviously DJI's seen you fly before Alok :) haha
Pacifica and down the coast is really nice. There are some nice quiet beaches just south a bit. Sucks you can't fly at home even inside...

I have old version on my two other devices :)

Are you running the Beta firmware on your Aircraft? The only way it would effect anyone is if they update and are running the latest Beta firmware. If you are on normal firmware and do the update you would not be effected as Geo fencing is still in Beta testing

Are you running the Beta firmware on your Aircraft? The only way it would effect anyone is if they update and are running the latest Beta firmware. If you are on normal firmware and do the update you would not be effected as Geo fencing is still in Beta testing

No, I am running FW1.6 and it has affected me though I don't know the severity of the effect. May be its just giving warning but who knows if I would be able to fly in the field.

There sure is a major difference now between your nfz map and map box. Looks like they added a ton more. Can you take a NFZ pic of Northern Cal from you to Lake Tahoe and post it for us? Right now it shows an airport above me on I80 but that's it for everything between Auburn and Reno
Don't Fly Drones Here

There sure is a major difference now between your nfz map and map box. Looks like they added a ton more. Can you take a NFZ pic of Northern Cal from you to Lake Tahoe and post it for us? Right now it shows an airport above me on I80 but that's it for everything between Auburn and Reno
Don't Fly Drones Here
Yes NFZ zones shown by DJI App cover a lot including hospitals and other important places. Surprisingly even AMA recognized flying site is also under NFZ by DJI app :)

I can't get the total map as it limits to about 50 miles display only.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452499800.511638.jpg

Last edited:
You mind doing one for Toronto Ontario Canada !?

You mind doing one for Toronto Ontario Canada !?

I don't think I can do that as App displays only NFZ only for ~50-75 miles of current GPS location.

Thanks Alok :) I'm still in the clear zone for now.

Ah .. fair enough !! Thanks though!! I'm gonna hold off on the update till I know more

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav