implosion sites (US) are they automatically no-fly zones

Reaction score
P4P+ hobbyist;
implosion of Deauville Hotel Nov 13, didn't attend
but just photographed beginning of clean-up;
are implosions no-fly zones or is it case by case?
or generally never unless some other overriding factor
e.g., close to airport, etc.? thanks in advance

And objects due to explosions fly pretty far and very likely can hit the drone.
Otherwise, I don't think that they rely on radio-triggered explosions. More likely they have wires.

EMP from explosions can disrupt all nearby electronics and it would seem all flying electronics should be far away from the source. A No-fly zone makes sense.

They are not automatic. We had one in Denver a few years ago that was TFR'd. But it was across the highway from an airport, so that made sense.

If you're unsure, check tfr.faa.gov.

Vic is spot on as always. I’ve safely flown three (3) implosions for one of the nation’s experts in the field. RFI never an issue; however, TFRs were in place for two of the three. In Richmond, local PD were conducting UAS operations to scan for stragglers remaining in the demo zone. Outside Washington DC, we flew with the mandatory FRZ waiver, but a TFR was put up for commercial and military aviation.

In all cases, it was quite tense at the command center, with the demo team seeking 100% situational awareness before commencing the countdown. So I suggest, at a minimum, notifying on scene staff of your intentions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic