Reaction score
Setup:
DJI Phantom 2
DJI iOSD
Immersion TX 600mw (Immersion RC antenna)
DJI Zenmuse H4-3D
GoPro Hero 4 Black
FlySight Black Pearl 32ch Receiver LCD (antenna provided)
Plug+Play Wire

I have used this setup reliably for about 6 months on and off. Put my kit away in the shed for ~ 2 months without any use. (somewhat coldish (35-40 at night) housed inside GPC backpack)

Go to use setup and am not receiving any signal from the immersion tx just grey fuzz.

The Black Pearl powers on searches/changes channels
GoPro powers on/records fine
I tested every combination of channels possible and same response, grey fuzz. (see attached image)
[file]blackpearl/immersion channel freq|none[/file]
The iOSD overlays will not even show up. The Transmitter does have a little red light that is ON.
I have always been very careful to have antenna attached when powering on as well.

I've hit a wall when it comes to troubleshooting, any advice?

Should I purchase a new transmitter and Plug/Play cable?
If I get a new transmitter should I upgrade to Black Mamba?

Setup:
DJI Phantom 2
DJI iOSD
DJI Zenmuse H4-3D
GoPro Hero 4 Black
Plug+Play Wire

I have used this setup reliably for about 6 months on and off. Put my kit away in the shed for ~ 2 months without any use. (somewhat coldish (35-40 at night) housed inside GPC backpack)

Go to use setup and am not receiving any signal from the immersion tx just grey fuzz.

The Black Pearl powers on searches/changes channels
GoPro powers on/records fine
I tested every combination of channels possible and same response, grey fuzz. (see attached image)
[file]blackpearl/immersion channel freq|none[/file]
The iOSD overlays will not even show up. The Transmitter does have a little red light that is ON.
I have always been very careful to have antenna attached when powering on as well.

I've hit a wall when it comes to troubleshooting, any advice?

Should I purchase a new transmitter and Plug/Play cable?
If I get a new transmitter should I upgrade to Black Mamba?

Storing it out in the shed for 2 months wasn't best idea.. Do you put into your backpack with the antenna on or off? Where is the iOSD mounted outside or inside the shell??

Storing it out in the shed for 2 months wasn't best idea.. Do you put into your backpack with the antenna on or off? Where is the iOSD mounted outside or inside the shell??

I take the antenna off everytime, but have always been very careful to not power on the Phantom when no antenna is attached.

The iOSD is mounted inside the shell.

Storing in the shed was probly a bad idea :(

Any further advice?

I take the antenna off everytime, but have always been very careful to not power on the Phantom when no antenna is attached.

The iOSD is mounted inside the shell.

Storing in the shed was probly a bad idea :(

Any further advice?

Well if you're receiving anything at all I say you have power failure.or the TX is gone. If you have VOM I'd start by opening the shell and checking voltages to the TX at L1 in front of the cam socket. Also make sure the video cable to both TX and iOSD are fully seated.
L1 is that burnt component check both sides for power could have a cold connection. http://i.imgur.com/Kzglp2t.jpg

This is great info, thank you!
Can you explain what this means exactly? I'll be popping open my bird when I'm home tonight

Explain what?

explain the part i quoted -

"L1 is that burnt component check both sides for power could have a cold connection. http://i.imgur.com/Kzglp2t.jpg"

I understand the TX plugs in at L1 near the cam socket. But what do you mean check both sides for power could have a cold connection?

Does that mean use the VOM to touch both sides of the solder area? What is burnt? Is this refering to if the TX is blown?

I'll report back with me finding tonight.

explain the part i quoted -

"L1 is that burnt component check both sides for power could have a cold connection. http://i.imgur.com/Kzglp2t.jpg"

I understand the TX plugs in at L1 near the cam socket. But what do you mean check both sides for power could have a cold connection?

Does that mean use the VOM to touch both sides of the solder area? What is burnt? Is this refering to if the TX is blown?

I'll report back with me finding tonight.

VOM is voltage meter and by checking both ends of L1 for voltage as it could have a cold solder connection.. Sure it's possible the TX may have been damaged and there's no signal. Here is a better photo.
2015-01-21_184122_zpsac023198.jpg

VOM is voltage meter and by checking both ends of L1 for voltage as it could have a cold solder connection.. Sure it's possible the TX may have been damaged and there's no signal. Here is a better photo.
View attachment 36947

So upon inspection it appears that L1 has been damaged on my phantom board...
Pictures of the fried area. Well, what next, I'm hesitant to fly, do you think only the fpv node is fried? How could this have happened, if the cable stopped working?

Attachments

• IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 354
So upon inspection it appears that L1 has been damaged on my phantom board...
Pictures of the fried area. Well, what next, I'm hesitant to fly, do you think only the fpv node is fried? How could this have happened, if the cable stopped working?

Well you have a choice to make and that is either to repair the board or replace it. To repare it you'd need to cleanup the burnt area to see if the copper solder pads are there and useable. If not then you would need to order a new main which would require you to unsolder all 5 power connections and remove the Naza module. But before you start I would like to see a photo of the transmitter and how the connectors are wired. Now if you decide to replace the board take photos of how the Naza module is wired as it's important that it is wired back up correctly.

Here is a link on amazon.co.uk for the replacement part unless you can find something locally.
10 Pcs 1008 2520 Package Type 1.8UH Surface Mount SMD Power Inductor: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Might be able to get an inductor from a local electronic store. Take the measurement of the other component in front of the socket as they are both the same size.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, I actually saw similar responses in another thread, this seems like a common problem. I'll take some more pictures tonight of the wiring. The cable that I had been using, "plug-n-play" variety off amazon, worked fine for many flights as a viable FPV system. I have it running from mini iOSD to the Immersion 600mw TX, everything was fine for a long time...I never unplugged the video cable from the gopro or the 2 plug-in cables that go to the transmitter.

Is it possible that the 'plug-n-play' cable somehow shorted, gave out, and caused the fried controller node?
Would powering on without an antenna cause this to happen?

I really don't want to have something like this happen again.

I most definitely want to have this repaired by replacing the entire motherboard, DJIPV-10 DJI Phantom 2 / Phantom 2 Vision Central Circuit Board. Unsoldering 5 power connections, removing Naza module, replacing new board does seem somewhat daunting however. Can you point me in the direction of a good repair, motherboard swap video?

Is there a company you can recommend that does this repair?

Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply, I actually saw similar responses in another thread, this seems like a common problem. I'll take some more pictures tonight of the wiring. The cable that I had been using, "plug-n-play" variety off amazon, worked fine for many flights as a viable FPV system. I have it running from mini iOSD to the Immersion 600mw TX, everything was fine for a long time...I never unplugged the video cable from the gopro or the 2 plug-in cables that go to the transmitter.

Is it possible that the 'plug-n-play' cable somehow shorted, gave out, and caused the fried controller node?
Would powering on without an antenna cause this to happen?

I really don't want to have something like this happen again.

I most definitely want to have this repaired by replacing the entire motherboard, DJIPV-10 DJI Phantom 2 / Phantom 2 Vision Central Circuit Board. Unsoldering 5 power connections, removing Naza module, replacing new board does seem somewhat daunting however. Can you point me in the direction of a good repair, motherboard swap video?

Is there a company you can recommend that does this repair?

Thanks again!

I take it by your screen name you live in either the UK or AU. Is that correct?

Here in the US a new board cost $59.00 without researching prices in other countries I have no idea of the cost.

ya, I'm in the US.

Is there a company you can recommend that does this repair? I could purchase the board for $59, but I am curious how expensive this could be to have a professional do it.

ya, I'm in the US.

Is there a company you can recommend that does this repair? I could purchase the board for $59, but I am curious how expensive this could be to have a professional do it.

You could send it to dronefly and I believe their labor charge is $99 plus parts.

I still would like to see those photos of the TX if you would because something caused that inductor to short out and that supply only feeds the TX..

DJI.com I used to buy:
DJI Phantom 2
w/ DJI Zenmuse H4-3D

Amazon.com I used to buy :
DJI iOSD
Plug+Play Wire
GoPro Hero 4 Black

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav