Immediate power up failure

sar104

Dic mihi solum facta, domina.
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I'm setting up a new Phantom 2, and prior to connecting up the H3-3D, iOSD and FPV components I inserted a fully charged battery and attempted to power up. The battery lights indicate correctly, but the Phantom flashes red, green, yellow, red, then gives a single short beep and shuts down, after which the battery lights go out.

Not quite sure what to make of that - can anyone shed any light on that behavior?

Maybe not a good battery conection, check the 2 small pins imside the phantom where the battery goes, maybe a bad battery, if you know someone with another battery you could swap and re-test

Sana

Good suggestions - I should have added that I tried 3 batteries, all of which produced the same result. The batteries do stay on if switched on while not in the Phantom.

It really looks like it is simply shutting down mid-way through the power on self test - I just haven't heard of that catastrophic failure mode before.

Based on observing the input voltage at the main board during the power on sequence, it looks as though the batteries are all shutting down during the self-test, rather than the self-test failing. I don't know exactly how these smart batteries work, but if battery shutdown is controlled by the battery (rather than by the P2), then that perhaps suggests that an abnormally high current draw may be occurring. Anyone have any insights into the battery control system? Not that it really matters as this P2 seems quite conclusively DOA and so will be going back whence it came.

sar104 said:
Based on observing the input voltage at the main board during the power on sequence, it looks as though the batteries are all shutting down during the self-test, rather than the self-test failing. I don't know exactly how these smart batteries work, but if battery shutdown is controlled by the battery (rather than by the P2), then that perhaps suggests that an abnormally high current draw may be occurring. Anyone have any insights into the battery control system? Not that it really matters as this P2 seems quite conclusively DOA and so will be going back whence it came.

Sounds like a bad bird. As for the batteries shutting themselves off under high load as a sort of protection circuit, it is likely. In fact, I think it could be why a handful of P2s have shut off mid-flight.

ianwood said:
sar104 said:

Sounds like a bad bird. As for the batteries shutting themselves off under high load as a sort of protection circuit, it is likely. In fact, I think it could be why a handful of P2s have shut off mid-flight.

That is my assumption to, and so I'm happy that it happened out of the box rather than some time later while flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic