Image Transmission Pixelating/Banding with Nvidia Shield K1

Reaction score
I recently switched over to using the K1 tablet because of the larger screen size and processor speed. The image transmission is spot on during flying but when playing back the video from the K1 the image has banding or pixelating.

I do realize that the video on the SD card on board the P3P contains the better video but I also like to view the stored image transmission that is easily available on the K1 tablet. Prior to the Nvidia Shield K1 I used my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone which did not have video banding.

Has anyone else experience this with their K1 tablet and any recommendations on how to eliminate the problem?

you do NOT have an image transmission problem if I read you correctly.
it sounds like as simple video player issue more so

Let me sum it up:

the video stream is excellent to the tab in flight. (that is the transmission aspect)
the recorded video on sd card is fine
many would be thrilled at this point......

the issue you are having is
the very low quality cached video on the tablet plays back poorly

try different video players on the tablet.

FWIW have a shield and never even thought to look at those --
so low quality I never bothered
Ill look next time I get it out

good luck and have fun flying

Reactions: Mark The Droner
you do NOT have an image transmission problem if I read you correctly.
it sounds like as simple video player issue more so

Let me sum it up:

the video stream is excellent to the tab in flight. (that is the transmission aspect)
the recorded video on sd card is fine
many would be thrilled at this point......

the issue you are having is
the very low quality cached video on the tablet plays back poorly

try different video players on the tablet.

FWIW have a shield and never even thought to look at those --
so low quality I never bothered
Ill look next time I get it out

good luck and have fun flying

The image transmission that gets saved to the K1 tablet is 720p so it's not really too low of quality. This problem of image banding or flickering only occurs on my Nvidia K1 tablet. When I switch to using my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone the playback is perfect. I have tried different video players but the result is the same. In fact I have transferred the video file to my computer and played it back with same results. Something in the K1 is affecting the image as it gets saved.

The cached video is a last resort, as in maybe see a glimpse of the crash type video. It's not video you would use for youtube or anything like that.

Reactions: Reed L
Not really looking for useless commentary.

Then go join a private forum. Rather then sobbing, why not learn how to use your equipment like others have done?

Reactions: rstekeur
Then go join a private forum. Rather then sobbing, why not learn how to use your equipment like others have done?

Why don't you read the OP post and then either choose to offer help or say nothing; it's not rocket science.

I recently switched over to using the K1 tablet because of the larger screen size and processor speed. The image transmission is spot on during flying but when playing back the video from the K1 the image has banding or pixelating.

I do realize that the video on the SD card on board the P3P contains the better video but I also like to view the stored image transmission that is easily available on the K1 tablet. Prior to the Nvidia Shield K1 I used my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone which did not have video banding.

Has anyone else experience this with their K1 tablet and any recommendations on how to eliminate the problem?

Here is a short sample clip of the image transmission that was saved on my Nvidia Shield K1. Again let me say that this banding does not occur when using an older Nexus 7 tablet (2012) or my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone, and the SD card video has superb quality.

Any other K1 users getting this or know of a setting that will correct this?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Here is a short sample clip of the image transmission that was saved on my Nvidia Shield K1. Again let me say that this banding does not occur when using an older Nexus 7 tablet (2014) or my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone, and the SD card video has superb quality.

Any other K1 users getting this or know of a setting that will correct this?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

VIDEO is private.....

The image transmission that gets saved to the K1 tablet is 720p so it's not really too low of quality. This problem of image banding or flickering only occurs on my Nvidia K1 tablet. When I switch to using my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone the playback is perfect. I have tried different video players but the result is the same. In fact I have transferred the video file to my computer and played it back with same results. Something in the K1 is affecting the image as it gets saved.

for the fun of it check the fw version in your RC
if 1.8 drop to 1.6 in rc firm ware.

1.8 messed up my STREAMING video
but have no idea on the internal files(I just erase without viewing)

I use the shield K1 but don't use video from it except for screen recording directly on the shield... Could it be preview quality setting in litchi? 4mbps-10mbps?

Reactions: FlyingCircles
I use the shield K1 but don't use video from it except for screen recording directly on the shield... Could it be preview quality setting in litchi? 4mbps-10mbps?

I will adjust the image transmission quality in DJI-GO to see if that makes any difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

Video is now public. Thanks.

That looks more like a connection issue with either the flat gimbal cable or the small wiring harnesses between the upper gimbal plate and VPS, or upper gimbal plate and on to lower battery bay. I would lean more towards the flat gimbal cable.

I had pretty much the same problem. Slight movement with the flat gimbal cable caused enough wear to produce a video issue. The timing of it taking place was right after a firmware update. I spent weeks blaming dji. Finally while in the house and powered up and recording video trying to simulate the problem, I found after tilting and rolling the aircraft while holding it in one hand.

Anyway, if you go through a similar process, just make sure you use ONLY a OEM flat gimbal cable when replacing it. Btw, I never once crashed or even had a hard landings of any kind prior to the issue with the flat gimbal cable.

Flyingcircles- I;ve had that "banding" issue, i'm using the K-1 also.
I thought it had something to do with my cable -shield to RC, & a switch to another cord fixed it , but, it happened again yesterday, for a few minutes, at furthest waypoints,
I thought cause was the distance from bird to RC, but, it kept up as i brought her back home too.
Interested to see if anyone has any thoughts on this too

That looks more like a connection issue with either the flat gimbal cable or the small wiring harnesses between the upper gimbal plate and VPS, or upper gimbal plate and on to lower battery bay. I would lean more towards the flat gimbal cable.

I had pretty much the same problem. Slight movement with the flat gimbal cable caused enough wear to produce a video issue. The timing of it taking place was right after a firmware update. I spent weeks blaming dji. Finally while in the house and powered up and recording video trying to simulate the problem, I found after tilting and rolling the aircraft while holding it in one hand.

Anyway, if you go through a similar process, just make sure you use ONLY a OEM flat gimbal cable when replacing it. Btw, I never once crashed or even had a hard landings of any kind prior to the issue with the flat gimbal cable.

This only happens when using the Nvidia Shield K1 tablet, which is my favorite because of size and power. Never an issue when using my Samsung Galaxy S6 or old Nexus 7 from 2012.

This only happens when using the Nvidia Shield K1 tablet, which is my favorite because of size and power. Never an issue when using my Samsung Galaxy S6 or old Nexus 7 from 2012.

I had the Nexus 7 2012 2nd gen when I went through my troubles. I later bought the nVidia k1 shield when the GO app had grown by adding more processes and the tablet could no longer keep up. Btw, since that time the GO app developers remove or add processes. So there are times when some tablets work, and other times they may not.

You should at least do the test I mentioned and look for interference while moving the aircraft around when recording.

Maybe it's a screen setting in the K1, like auto-brightness? But that doesn't explain the recording you posted, must be something else.

Flyingcircles- I;ve had that "banding" issue, i'm using the K-1 also.
I thought it had something to do with my cable -shield to RC, & a switch to another cord fixed it , but, it happened again yesterday, for a few minutes, at furthest waypoints,
I thought cause was the distance from bird to RC, but, it kept up as i brought her back home too.
Interested to see if anyone has any thoughts on this too

Just to clarify, it doesn't happen during live video streaming while flying the quad, only when I play back the saved cached file on the K1. It must be a compatibility issue between DJI-GO and K1.

At this point I would like know if other Nvidia Shield K1 users with a P3P are having the same issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic