Image and Video quality - Mavic vs. Phantom 4

Reaction score
Like many of you, I to have been struggling whether to choose the phantom 4 of mavic. So, I'm holding onto the Phantom and will do a comprehensive review once my Mavic arrives. My goal is to focus on a direct video and image comparison, both during flight and fixed.

I'll post the review on my youtube channel, so subscribe and you'll be notified when it goes live. If you would like me to review anything specific, please request below.

Youtube link - Kamil Szybalski

Looking forward to it. Please do stills as well as video. They are as important, if not more, than video to me. Thx!
I'd like to see performance in stills shooting in both high speed and slow shutter speeds- like for dusk or dawn shooting and various iso's.
I do 100 iso for my stills 99% of the time because of noise issues.
Also for video comparison in low light. Again for dusk or dawn.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

i am surprised nobody mentionned that,with a closed gimbal and lens in the mavik, you cannot put filters anymore.For me, it is essential,for optimal quality of my photos and videos...

i am surprised nobody mentionned that,with a closed gimbal and lens in the mavik, you cannot put filters anymore.For me, it is essential,for optimal quality of my photos and videos...

Several drone dealers have said filters would be released soon. What do you mean by closed gimbal and lens?

"Closed gimbal"? Surely you aren't referencing the fact that the gimbal has a clear protective cover used for protection during travel or flight but may certainly be removed before flight?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

What the heck is a closed gimbal and lens. Do you mean the very removable bubble that is for transport?

Reactions: Dronefriend

In another forum (maybe it was the DJI forum), one of the DJI employees said a ND filter for the Mavic was in the works.

Several drone dealers have said filters would be released soon. What do you mean by closed gimbal and lens?
I mean that,bu viewing the mavik tutorial,i saw a closed cockpit protecting the gimbal and the lens.Am i wrong?

after viewing the tutorial, i saw a closed glass protecting access to the lens.Am i wrong?

Newbie question here: what's a filter and what's its use?

ND Filter. These small aircrafts have cameras with fixed apertures. You can't open or close the aperture to reduce the light. So you use an ND filter to control light. ND filters are basically sunglasses for the camera.

I mean that,bu viewing the mavik tutorial,i saw a closed cockpit protecting the gimbal and the lens.Am i wrong?

The protective bubble is removable and you normally wouldn't leave it on during flight if you were videoing something. Polarpro already has a link on their website where they will email you when their Mavic filters become available, so filters are obviously coming soon.
PolarPro - GoPro Hero5/Karma/DJI Mavic Accessories

What is the price for them?

For the Mavic, no one knows yet until the product is made available, but it should be under $30 like the Phantoms'.

ND stands for Neutral Density, by the way, and there are also Polarizing filters, ND and color gradients, and variable ND that is something of a combination of filters...all with relative benefits that are a bit complex to get into here. Very worth understanding though, if you want good footage

So there are more than one set of filters? How many filters can you put on a drone, just one?

There are both DJI-made and many, many third party filters for the phantoms, some sold in sets, but only really used one at a time. The Mavic is new enough DJI will likely be the only one offering them for a little while. All I've heard rumored so far is ND (i'm hoping polarization is coming)

This is impressive footage <iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie