I'm sorry to ask so many questions...

Reaction score
Hi everyone;

Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm totally stumped with this. On my setup for the controller I'm at a place where it says Remote Controller requires upgrade and below that in blue type it says "download" firmware"

Camera requires upgrade. Refer to the tutorial videos in Academy

Aircraft requires upgrade. Refer to the tutorial videos in Academy

Battery requires upgrade. Refer to the tutorial videos in Academy

I have no idea where to find these videos as I don't know what "Academy" is. Could someone please help me? I wish I understood this better but I think I may have bought something that's way above my pay grade. I don't think I can do this without some help from someone that knows.

Please help me if you can, I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

Bud

Reactions: liketogethigh
Thank you kindly, and how do I find out which version is currently installed on my Phantom?

how do I find out which version is currently installed on my Phantom?
You can find the firmware version in the "General Settings" --> "About" section of DJI GO. You'll only see it if DJI GO is connected to your Phantom.

Thank you kindly, and how do I find out which version is currently installed on my Phantom?
It is listed in the about section in the DJI GO app.

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble navigating the forum. I'm 70 years old and understanding things has become very difficult these days. I'm sorry to be a bother to you folks and I do hope you understand. I've looked for the search function but cannot seem to find it.

Use the search function on this forum. Your question has been answered lots of times.

Thank you, that's very kind of you to explain it for me. I will go and see if I can locate this now.

Your GO app will give you the version info when you are connected to your Phantom. The Academy is the symbol with the graduation cap when you first start the GO app.

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble navigating the forum. I'm 70 years old and understanding things has become very difficult these days. I'm sorry to be a bother to you folks and I do hope you understand. I've looked for the search function but cannot seem to find it.

Sir, I apologize for being so glib in my reply. You are not bothering anyone! This is what the forum is for. If you have questions, you can search by clicking on the small magnifying glass icon on the top right hand corner of the page. Type in some key words or a question and other people's posts related to your question will pop up.

Last edited:
Hi everyone;

Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm totally stumped with this. On my setup for the controller I'm at a place where it says Remote Controller requires upgrade and below that in blue type it says "download" firmware"

Camera requires upgrade. Refer to the tutorial videos in Academy

Aircraft requires upgrade. Refer to the tutorial videos in Academy

Battery requires upgrade. Refer to the tutorial videos in Academy

I have no idea where to find these videos as I don't know what "Academy" is. Could someone please help me? I wish I understood this better but I think I may have bought something that's way above my pay grade. I don't think I can do this without some help from someone that knows.

Please help me if you can, I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

Bud

Instead of upgrading right away, if your having trouble, just start it up and make sure that it runs right now, straight out of the box. "requires upgrade" doesn't mean that you need to upgrade it today. Take it outside with a full battery and start it up. Use the entire battery to simply go through the entire go-app. Start the motors and if it all looks good, the camera is working and everything is running fine. Then shut down, charge the battery back to full, put the props on and take off. Then in a few days when you have a good feel for it, update it then if you want to. There's no need to update today especially if your overwhelmed by it already.

Near the top right corner of the page, you will see the magnifying glasses? That is your search function for this forum... ;-)

By the way: Age has no barriers in RC hobbies.

RedHotPoker

I agree with the above reply.
Fly for a couple of weeks with it as is. Once you are more confident and have used it fr a while then look in to upgrading.
When you do upgrade follow the steps msinger posted the link to in the post above.

Please no apology necessary. You've all been very kind and I can imagine how frustrating it is when answering the same questions many times over. I guess I'm a little over my head with this and I should have known better. I just realized that you need to more of a photographer than a pilot with the Phantom 3 Professional.

Thank you also for the tip about the Academy button, I found it ok.

Bud

Sir, I apologize for being so glib in my reply. You are not bothering anyone! This is what the forum is for. If you have questions, you can search by clicking on the small magnifying glass icon on the top right hand corner of the page. Type in some key words or a question and other people's posts related to your question will pop up.

Thank you so much for that advice. I was worried about not upgrading the firmware because I was led to believe that if I didn't have the latest firmware installed, I could have what I understand is called a "Flyaway" and I was afraid to use it for that reason and until the firmware was upgraded.

If it is safe to fly without the upgrades for a little while then that's what I'll do.

I would like you all to know that I am extremely grateful for all of you up here and your advice. You have put me at ease quite a bit and I don't have quite the anxiety level I had yesterday.

With kindest regards to all who are trying to help me,

Bud

Instead of upgrading right away, if your having trouble, just start it up and make sure that it runs right now, straight out of the box. "requires upgrade" doesn't mean that you need to upgrade it today. Take it outside with a full battery and start it up. Use the entire battery to simply go through the entire go-app. Start the motors and if it all looks good, the camera is working and everything is running fine. Then shut down, charge the battery back to full, put the props on and take off. Then in a few days when you have a good feel for it, update it then if you want to. There's no need to update today especially if your overwhelmed by it already.

Hey Bud. I got my first drone when I was 71. That was 8 months ago. U will see me everywhere on here now. I have rebuilt drones but now I concentrate on repairing gimbals. I would rather fix them tan fly them. Who knew

Wow,. I can only imagine how cool your video's will be coming out of beautiful NZ.

Yah, the battery compartment is a bit tight indeed, I had to watch some of the DJI video's to confirm that you just stuff the wires in to make it work. I experienced the same with my 3rd party battery - which was a bit chunkier withthicker wires making it tougher to stuff in there. gotta make sure the battery lid is completely engaged and tight.

Tipovers seem to occur right at the moment of takeoff if you don't quite give it enough punch to get off the ground. (and perhaps if the Gyro's aren't quite calibrated). Be sure to only take off once you've got a single blinking green light whenever possible.

*if you see multiple green flashes prior to take off, (and you haven't moved your Phantom since inserting the battery) you'll want to connect the Phantom to your computer to check things out.

a flashing red light indicates low battery, (often after 8-12 minutes of flying) a little while after that, you'll then notice a drop in power.. and then if you keep going after that, it'll then try to land itself.

bookmark and scroll down on this handy webpage and see what all the flashing lights mean.

HeliPal.com - HeliPal
And I thought I was too old for this at 46

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1