I'm sorry but I need gimbal tilt help

Reaction score
I know there are other threads about this but I want specific answers here. I crashed my phantom 4 2 days after I got it, however it suffered no more than a few scratches and broken prop. However since then my gimbal has had a slight, sometimes dramatic tilt when I turn the drone clockwise or counterclockwise with the left stick. It eventually will correct itself but slowly. I really don't think the crash damaged the gimbal since it only fell from about 5 feet, but gimbal calibrations are not helping at all. Should I get it checked out? I would like to avoid sending it to DJI because of the costumer service. Do I just need to calibrate everything? What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

When my Phantom 4 crashed, it caused the gimbal to bind. The app showed a gimbal motor overload I think. Anyway, it would move from 90 degrees to 180 degrees but not back up to 90. I cycled it probably 50 times, each time it would get easier to move. I never got it fully back to normal but had I known about DJI's service, I would probably have taken it apart and tried to correct the problem myself. However, the drone hit the ground hard enough to cause the camera ring around the lens, to hit the bottom of the body causing a dent. It landed on its top, being upside down. The camera functioned perfectly but the apparent damage was only to the gimbal. If you try to fix it yourself, you will need some very small tools. Harbor Freight has a 32 piece screwdriver set, item number 97517, I think for about $7.50. It has most any small size of various types of screwdriver blades and bits that would come in handy working on Drones and other small stuff. Good luck on whatever you try. Keep us posted here, I would really like to find out what you find out.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

When my Phantom 4 crashed, it caused the gimbal to bind. The app showed a gimbal motor overload I think. Anyway, it would move from 90 degrees to 180 degrees but not back up to 90. I cycled it probably 50 times, each time it would get easier to move. I never got it fully back to normal but had I known about DJI's service, I would probably have taken it apart and tried to correct the problem myself. However, the drone hit the ground hard enough to cause the camera ring around the lens, to hit the bottom of the body causing a dent. It landed on its top, being upside down. The camera functioned perfectly but the apparent damage was only to the gimbal. If you try to fix it yourself, you will need some very small tools. Harbor Freight has a 32 piece screwdriver set, item number 97517, I think for about $7.50. It has most any small size of various types of screwdriver blades and bits that would come in handy working on Drones and other small stuff. Good luck on whatever you try. Keep us posted here, I would really like to find out what you find out.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
thanks Jim, Im sure it will work itself out somehow. I live in a neighborhood that has lots of radio activity and lots of close houses. its possible that the drone cant calibrate properly because of this. I will post a video soon of some footage showing the tilt. I want to note that my camera did not strike the ground and I do not get any warning messages on my dji go 4.0 screen.

I'm still trying to understand your "tilt"?

Since your little crash have you done an IMU calibration? if not do that first then calibrate the gimbal. Also what is your gimbal mode set to? (follow or FPV) also might want to look in the advance settings.

Here is a video showing what im talking about:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is a video showing what im talking about:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Notice how slight it is, but it is more than what is normal I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers