I'm planning to get Phantom ver 1. Am i wrong?

Reaction score
I have not bought a phantom yet but i'm planning to get one.
I've been reading news/forum for the past few days and I am amazed by the powerful of Gimbal(Tarot T-2D Gimbal) which can bring so much stabilized footages to us. I'm planning to get a Phantom version 1. And I need your advise:)

DJI Phantom 1.1.1 - $500
Tarot T-2D Gimbal - $200
GoPro3 camera - $300
FPV - I'm planning to use the wifi from GoPro link my samsung note2. I understand there will be a delay by 3-4seconds. But I'm gonna try it first before I purchase any FPV:)

= $1,000

What else am i missing? Am i wrong to get version 1 or should i wait for the Phantom Vision?

As far as I know the V2 will have a price around 1000-1300$.

Why buying V2 is a good idea
+The battery has twice as much juice so you can fly longer approx 25minutes. (I believe you can achieve the same with V1 if you can find battery that fits in and has over 4000mAh.
+It has video transmitter built in and the app that comes with it is very useful (you can see a lot of things that you will not see with an ordinary FPV system: battery status, altitude, distance etc.)

Why buying V1 is a good idea
+You only pay for what you need. You need a multicopter that can fly with the camera of your choice. I believe the camera that comes with the V2 is good, but it cant be as good as GoPro.
+V2's ability to turn camera up/down during the flight isnt even close to what gimbal does with your GoPro. So if you want to have gimbal on your Phantom, buying a V2 is a big question. If you can take out the Phantom V2:s camera and replace it with gimbal&goPro and keep using the v2's video transmitter then it might be a "good" idea. As long as the price of the camera isnt too high. Because you can build quite good quad with 1000-1300$ without the need to pay for a camera that your not going to use anyway.

miika you are talking about the v2 vision, there will also likely be a cheaper v2 phantom with the same bits of the vision but without the built in camera setup. The vision only has a basic 1 axis pitch gimbal and limited FPV and getting this youd be wanting to use it as is because its not a very upgradeable setup. Making any changes to it in camera or video link means you have just completly wasted the price premium over the v1 or coming v2 phantom.

Getting a Phantom v1 or v2 over a vision is if you want a stabilized gimbal and better quality video, the hero3 black is a great little video camera and with a good 2 axis gimbal video will be much better then anything the vision can do.

In terms of FPV using the GoPro is useless, wifi lag is too slow and range is terrible, that along with the fact that it uses a 2.4ghz radio link and so using wifi with this can disable your control at worst or at best just cripple the range of your control and wifi link. The vision uses 2.4ghz video and data but that is why the radio in the vision is at 5.8ghz, traditional radio's are at 2.4g and most FPV links used with phantoms are 5.8ghz.

Using the DJI 5.8ghz video link I get well over 2km video range and tests showing the vision have it cutting at just over 300m. The vision is an ok rtf and camera ready setup with wireless link but the camera or fpv is not the greatest, I think the camera will be better for people into aerial photography but for video use a regular phantom or other quad and gopro with gimbal plus regular FPV will be a better choice.

When it comes to FPV GoPro is perfect for it. And why? Because you can hook it to FatShark or almost any other FPV receiver/transmitter.

If the Phantom 2 costs about the same as Phantom 1 without a discounted price, then it would be a smart choice to buy that instead.

Thanks for all replies :)

I went for some research and I got my new list that i want to buy:
DJI Phantom ver 1.1.1 = $500
Brushless Gimbal: $190
FPV: $270
Battery Pack: $25
GoPro3: 300

all together = $1285.

Apprently I'm thinking Brushless Gimbal should be better than the Vision. And furthermore the FPV range is gonna make the huge difference with the Phantom Vision. What do you guys think? Or should i wait for the Vision without it's own camera? :cool:

Where to people get the info from better vid from a gopro, vs vision.
There are 2 post in this forum providing better video from the vision, also alot better stills.
Don't right off the vision camera before its evan been released, fine if you want FPV for longer range and plan on using after market TX RX. But if all you need it for is 300m then the vision surly would be the better and cheaper option.

Sent from a GS4 using tapacrap

baja5b-ss said:
There are 2 post in this forum providing better video from the vision, also alot better stills.
Don't right off the vision camera before its evan been released, fine if you want FPV for longer range and plan on using after market TX RX. But if all you need it for is 300m then the vision surly would be the better and cheaper option.

-First of all Visions camera does not have a 2 axis gimbal. So it almost useless when it comes to professional video production, when you start caring about how the video actually looks.

-As far as I understand GoPro is the only camera that has anything like PROTUNE, which enables the best color grading (that is possible with small cameras) at the market.

-DJI Innovations isnt a camera company. They have outsourced the tech from a some other company (probably some chinese company) So it's far fetched to think that it could be better than GoPro. Dont get me wrong Phantom Visions camera footage looks good, but if you really want to compare it with the latest GoPro (3+ Black Edition) then we need to start to compare low light footage. Protune post graded footage with Visions graded footage etc. And have you seen GoPro vs. Vision footage from same location with same lighting.

To repeat myself Phantom Vision does not have a 2-axis gimbal, which makes it a good FPV quad.

travelerX said:
Thanks for all replies :)

I went for some research and I got my new list that i want to buy:
DJI Phantom ver 1.1.1 = $500
Brushless Gimbal: $190
FPV: $270
Battery Pack: $25
GoPro3: 300

all together = $1285.

Apprently I'm thinking Brushless Gimbal should be better than the Vision. And furthermore the FPV range is gonna make the huge difference with the Phantom Vision. What do you guys think? Or should i wait for the Vision without it's own camera? :cool:

If your on a budget and new to flying with quads, I would suggest that you would make some flights with a bare Phantom (without all the stuff attached to it). So if you happen to crash you wont break your equipment and you know how the Phantom handles without all the added weight. I bought the Phantom first (with 4 batteries) flied with it for couple months and then bought GoPro. Two of my first flights ended up in a crash :eek: And dont get me wrong, it's pretty easy to fly. 1st crash: Lost heading and was flying too near to a tree 2nd crash: I had updated the firmware of Phantom, but forgot to import default settings (which made my Phantom roll 180 degrees in height of 20 meters). It came down and ended up in a bush.

Miika said:
baja5b-ss said:

-First of all Visions camera does not have a 2 axis gimbal. So it almost useless when it comes to professional video production, when you start caring about how the video actually looks.

-As far as I understand GoPro is the only camera that has anything like PROTUNE, which enables the best color grading (that is possible with small cameras) at the market.

-DJI Innovations isnt a camera company. They have outsourced the tech from a some other company (probably some chinese company) So it's far fetched to think that it could be better than GoPro. Dont get me wrong Phantom Visions camera footage looks good, but if you really want to compare it with the latest GoPro (3+ Black Edition) then we need to start to compare low light footage. Protune post graded footage with Visions graded footage etc. And have you seen GoPro vs. Vision footage from same location with same lighting.

To repeat myself Phantom Vision does not have a 2-axis gimbal, which makes it a good FPV quad.

If you're like me any many more people, like the people who DJI have aimed the vision at then the vision is the best buy.

And clearly out of the box no set up, editing, or fancy tricks then has said the vision camera is a clear winner here. The last gopro i had was the V2 and TBH it was crap at handling light change, the weather had to be just right to get nice clear footage of flights with my RC helis and planes.
No wear near the quality of the vision thats for sure, and out the box neither is the 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GWFfBEbkZg

So if the OP wants a phantom and only wants to have fun and record his flights then why spend more and have painstaking hrs setting things up and editing video because it could not capture in the first place, plenty of FPV without gimbals and the gimbal is not the be all and end all of footage.

justsomeguy said:
baja5b-ss said:
No wear[sic] near the quality of the vision thats[sic] for sure, and out[sic] the box neither is the 3.

... painstaking hrs setting things up and editing video because it could not capture in the first place...the gimbal is not the be all and end all of footage.

You definitely just earned the Clueless Post of the Week Award.

Congrats!
OK maybe inform me going off the vid above why the gopro is better.

Clueless?? specsavers springs to mind.

baja5b-ss said:
No wear near the quality of the vision thats for sure, and out the box neither is the 3.

So if the OP wants a phantom and only wants to have fun and record his flights then why spend more and have painstaking hrs setting things up and editing video because it could not capture in the first place, plenty of FPV without gimbals and the gimbal is not the be all and end all of footage.

From color grading point of view in my opinion Visions footage looks bad. Try to work with those blacks. Visions footage straight out of the memory card can look good to your eye, because they have a decent amount of contrast etc. But whe you start color grading, you need to have something else than blown out colors. Here's a video that was posted on another PhantomPilots thread. Shot with GoPro. Try to grade Phantom footage to look the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dleV9jSAREQ

And as there is no stabilization in the Phantom Vision, your very limited when it comes to smooth camera movements. What I'm saying its lacking something beyond crucial.

Miika said:
baja5b-ss said:

From color grading point of view in my opinion Visions footage looks bad. Try to work with those blacks. Visions footage straight out of the memory card can look good to your eye, because they have a decent amount of contrast etc. But whe you start color grading, you need to have something else than blown out colors. Here's a video that was posted on another PhantomPilots thread. Shot with GoPro. Try to grade Phantom footage to look the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dleV9jSAREQ

And as there is no stabilization in the Phantom Vision, your very limited when it comes to smooth camera movements. What I'm saying its lacking something beyond crucial.

Ok so why not use something better been as though that vid was from some pro if i remember right, so then back to my original statement the vision is aimed at people who want to fly out the box, no set up, no building. Just charge and fly so to speak, and be able to record and have some good stats along the way.
You are now comparing a vid based on professional side of footage, so now why don't you compare with the the link below.

http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/MikroKopter/ ... -166-2022/

I mean people bang on about gimbals and quality but buy a gopro? when it's no better than AVG joe (VISION) out the box, and no editing needed for AVG (joe) because he's not **** about the very best. But this same **** person buy's a gopro for super duper vids and yet don't buy the best??? I think **** above is peeped off for spending $350 on a gopro, and only got AVG footage.

Even if the Vision's video looked 2x better than the GoPro, it's still a lost cause to consider using a Vision for shooting video.
- as it has no apparent vibration damping, and it's single 1-axis servo gimbal (assuming it's a servo) can't compete with a GoPro on a cheap 2-axis brushless gimbal, not by a longshot.

The only thing the Vision seems to have over a stock Phantom is flying time, but what good is that if you're capable of shooting 20minutes of unstable video!

I"ve seen a few posts were flyers brag how they don't think their footage looks great without a brushless gimbal - but their stuff looks like shaky 60fps video that's been slowed down.

justsomeguy said:
baja5b-ss said:
buy a gopro? when it's no better than AVG joe (VISION) out the box

Repeating this silliness just confirms your cluelessness.

What factors influence video quality?

I'm going off the videos put before me like i keep saying the vision is aimed at people like me, you seem to be missing the point so you're the clueless one.
So **** about your gopro and how good they are but you're putting it to a phantom??, if you want the very best then buy it.
A phantom is the cheap end of quads and a start at video footage, if you're so much a know it all then please list your spec from TX to RX and everything in between clearly including your gopro 3 and your super duper footage that you've done all on your own without editing.

So jason mr clueless i await your top notch spec and your super duper vids, but we all know you chat BS.

justsomeguy said:
baja5b-ss said:
I'm going off the videos put before me

Yes. That is why you are clueless. You have stated that "No wear[sic] near the quality of the vision thats[sic] for sure, and out[sic] the box neither is the 3" and you base this upon the video that you linked.

You are using a comparison between the Vison and a Gopro that wasn't even securely mounted to the Vision. That's clueless.

baja5b-ss said:
So **** about your gopro and how good they are but you're putting it to a phantom??, if you want the very best then buy it.

This is a ridiculous straw man argument. I never claimed that I wanted the very best nor that the gopro is the very best.

I merely commented upon how clueless your claims are.

baja5b-ss said:
A phantom is the cheap end of quads and video footage, if you're so much a know it all then please list your spec from TX to RX and everything in between clearly including your gopro 3 and your super duper footage that you've done all on your own without editing.

Never claimed to know-it-all (that's another straw man argument there). One thing I do know is that you have some odd feelings of inferiority because you perceive that people have been insulting a toy that you have decided to buy (the Vision)

EDIT: I see you added this to your post

baja5b-ss said:
So jason mr clueless i await your top notch spec and your super duper vids, but we all know you chat BS.

Who the hell is Jason? Why does my "spec" have to be top notch in order for me to point out the simple fact that you are clueless?

I have an older Phantom and have used the stock mount, a VGE mount and a Tarot gimbal over time. Why is that important to you? Your posts are getting more and more odd...

So after all the shite you say about the vision cam and the gopro and you have none?? well not a 3 that you claimed is so much better. So what are you basing your BS on?? vids you've seen?? just like the link i posted, what a **** you are jason. Clearly you're the clueless one going off what you've seen, what a dum ***, defending something you don't even own.

I can clearly see that the vid from the vision vid is more than enough quality wise, so end of the day you defend your analness. I bet you've got an iphone and it's the bestest phone in the world.

justsomeguy said:
baja5b-ss said:
So after you the shite you say about the vision cam and the gopro and you have none??

Are you asking if I have a Vision or are you asking if I have a GoPro?

If it's the latter, which part of "the stock mount, a VGE mount and a Tarot gimbal over time" is confusing you? Each of those mounts are for GoPros.

baja5b-ss said:
so what are you basing your BS on?? vids you've seen??

No BS here just experience with well-mounted GoPros and the common sense to understand that the comparison video you linked to does not support the silly claims that you continue to make. i.e "No wear[sic] near the quality of the vision thats[sic] for sure, and out[sic] the box neither is the 3"

baja5b-ss said:
vids you've seen?? just like the link, what a **** you are jason.

Who is Jason? You continue to make no sense.

baja5b-ss said:
Clearly you're the clueless one going off what you've seen, what a dum ***, defending something you don't even own.

Reading comprehension is key to participating in a discussion. You need to work on your reading comprehension or find someone to help you with your challenges.

Bloody hell bob i'm writing from the phone give me chance to edit. Ive had a 2 and is was crap not worth the money, could not keep up with light change. I said from the off the vision is more for people who want RTF out the box, read dum ***.
Do you need glasses by any chance, specsavers are doing a deal at the MO.

The vid of the vision IMO is far better than that taken with the gopro in this instance, and more than good enough for the people who will buy it. Now been has though this is the only vid of a vision VS gopro i'm basing my cluelessness to that vid.
If people want better than why would they buy an entry level quad, with an AVG level camera.

Simon there is only 1 vid on youtube to compare with, so your blaming the crap gopro vid on a gopro mount. The vision seems fine on it's mount, how much do people spend on trying to get there gopro to actually take decent vids. Then even edit the vids after uploading them, has said and I will say it again. Out the box Simon out the box.

travelerX said:
I have not bought a phantom yet but i'm planning to get one.
I've been reading news/forum for the past few days and I am amazed by the powerful of Gimbal(Tarot T-2D Gimbal) which can bring so much stabilized footages to us. I'm planning to get a Phantom version 1. And I need your advise:)

DJI Phantom 1.1.1 - $500
Tarot T-2D Gimbal - $200
GoPro3 camera - $300
FPV - I'm planning to use the wifi from GoPro link my samsung note2. I understand there will be a delay by 3-4seconds. But I'm gonna try it first before I purchase any FPV:)

= $1,000

What else am i missing? Am i wrong to get version 1 or should i wait for the Phantom Vision?

two words: buy fpv
more words: a cheap screen and cheap FPV from ebay will make your life happy. Your smartphone will make your life hell.

All this discussion about camera and quality. Almost all footage seems worse with the gopro. You can easily find something that is better on youtube than the gopro. But wherever I ever go and read stuff, people say gopro is the best. So I choose to believe this. I might change the colours of my videos abit and then prefer sunlight, cause gopro seems to love the sun so much.

With that said. The gopro is so good at everything. It can record in whatever way you want and take pictures in so many ways. You can then attach a cable to it and wooopelidoo you have everything shown on your fpv screen, and you didn't even need to try and be smart. It even show you on the screen in what menu you are and what capture mode you are in and how long time you have recorded, it just works.
I bet smartphone and vision cant do video nearly as far away. A good fpv antenna and you can get like 1 kilometer away with your phantom and more if u pay.

But what can I do to increase the quality of my videos? If the competitors in fact does seem better on youtube, what is it I need to do to get my gopro on top of this?

Thanks

justsomeguy said:
baja5b-ss said:
Simon there is only 1 vid on youtube to compare with, so your blaming the crap gopro vid on a gopro mount.

No. You're wrong again.

I am not blaming the crap GoPro vid on a GoPro Mount.

The guy who posted the video is:

"Please Excuse the vibrations on the GoPro-recordings. Unfortunately my improvised GoPro-mount caused vibrations on some of the recordings."

You, on the other hand, are using that one video to make the crazy claim that the Vison camera is better than the Hero2 and Hero3. That's still really dumb.

baja5b-ss said:
how much do people spend on trying to get there gopro to actually take decent vids.

This has nothing to do with your crazy quality claims but I'll help you out here.

Folks have captured decent (that's subjective BTW) vids just by adding Sorbothane between the stock mount and the body (~$10). Folks have also captured decent video with a VGE mount (~$25).

OK then Tony

In that vid is the vision crap.

End of

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20