Not flying in Rome. Too risky/stressful

If you know the risks, then why press your luck? Why risk your AC if you know what you're doing is illegal?
I'm going to Venice and Tuscany in December and there are plenty of places to fly, legally.
It's this kind of mindset that gives drone pilots a bad rap.

To be on the safe side I would go to the local police when your there and ask them. Maybe even stop a local cop on the beat and ask him so he can supervise you and then your covered. Let him have a go too, keep him sweet

Don't fly in Rome; sUAV's are banned full stop. You'll be traced, found, arrested, thrown in jail for upto 14 days, tried and then fined upto €125,000. Oh, I forgot.... your gear will be seized and not returned. It's your choice but you'd need to be a complete idiot to even think about it.

See this thread....

Last edited:
"...I never want to annoy people or police..."

...he wrote - as he detailed a plan for doing exactly that! I recommend you take a pillow with you as well. I doubt that the jail cell you'll be in will have one provided for you.

Reactions: HarleyKen and Vzr1
Because I dont see going straight up fast, click 4 pics and come back down as being an issue. Especially if it's from my own apartment. Not a public park.
It's like a big selfie stick without the stick.
Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's a good law.
I understand touring around in the sky is wrong while in Rome
But going straight up 50 metres (which is their legal height limit) I really don't see nothing wrong with that?
And yes I'm going to Cinque Terre first where I will be able to fly legally over the Mediterranean.
-And trust me, I am always very conscious of what's around me. Especially people. I never want to annoy people or police.

Can't see it being an issue unless you crash it up there and it smacks a few people in the head on the way down lol.

How can you take pics at night? You have a flash?

Reactions: iAm
I don't know what you mean being "traced" that's impossible!
Have you seen YouTube. Lots of videos flying in Rome.
That is illegal. I have no plans to break the law.
I did a little research for you:

Italy Drone Laws – UAV Systems International

Italy Drone Laws
  • You may not fly your drone over 230 feet
  • You may not fly your drone further than 490 feet horizontally or out of visual line of sight
  • You may not carry dangerous goods on your drone
  • You may not fly your drone over populated areas, gatherings, beaches, national parks, urban areas, infrastructures, railways, highways and industrial plants
  • You must stay at least 8km away from aerodromes
  • You must only fly your drone during daylight
  • Your drone must weigh under 25kg
  • You must keep your drone 50m away from persons/property not under control of the drone operator
  • You must carry third party insurance

But maybe I won't fly while in Rome. This is stressful

Flying a sUAV is BANNED in Rome, whether you're flying straight up 50m or 400m around. The Police in Rome do not mess about; they will find you and throw you in jail.

Flying a sUAV is BANNED in Rome, whether you're flying straight up 50m or 400m around. The Police in Rome do not mess about; they will find you and throw you in jail.

Thank you for your info

You don't need a flash to take night shots.
This is Puerto Vallarta at night.
Cops can't see a drone going up in the air at night especially if I'm already 12 storeys high.

Cool pic, they can't see it, I'm sure they are not deaf lol..... if all else fails google images make it your own [emoji23]

Well I know most certainly if I wanted to conduct sketchy UAV flights in a foreign country, I'm very certain I will avoid detection, fines, loss of equipment, etc. by ANNOUNCING IT VERY QUIETLY AND PUBLICLY HERE ON THE INTERNET. Yeppers ... sounds like a plan!

Well I know most certainly if I wanted to conduct sketchy UAV flights in a foreign country, I'm very certain I will avoid detection, fines, loss of equipment, etc. by ANNOUNCING IT VERY QUIETLY AND PUBLICLY HERE ON THE INTERNET. Yeppers ... sounds like a plan!

Thank you for your thought.
I am not "announcing it very quietly"
I'm asking members about a thought. It's not a plan.
I only want to be legal. I am not trying to hide anything.
That's why I'm asking this message board.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj