Im going FPV is this a good setup?

Reaction score
Well I have decided to go FPV with my P2 H3-3D. I have ordered a P2V+ from Amazon which will be here Tuesday and Im either going to send it back or keep it for a spare. I have decided this because I feel that the gopro 3 black which I have takes FAR better video than the vision plus. Please correct me if I'm wrong. From watching videos on youtube I also feel like the gimbal is also quite a bit better with my P2 H3-3D. I can hover 300 feet in the air for a minute and watching the video back its so smooth I almost think the video freezes then a bird flys by LOL. Long story short I absolutely LOVE my P2 H3-3D and cant see letting it go. Im going to order a FPV kit and was wondering if anyone is using this kit or what they think about it? Also if there is another kit out there that you feel is better please let me know. http://motorcitydroneco.com/collections/drone-service-station/products/fpv-installed

I actually called Motorcitydrone because I live about an hour from them and the owner answered the phone tonight on Sunday at 9:30 at night and told me that this was a good solid setup and for an extra $40 they would send me better antennas and the range would be just short of 1 mile 4500-5000 Feet. Any advise would be appreciated!

I actually have that kit. Haven't tested it 100 percent on distance but for what I do it works perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

in this sub-forum, you're definitely among people that agree the GoPro/non-Vision models are better than the Visions :)

that kit would work (the flytrex core is definitely not essential), but as with most kits if you have time to wait for shipping you can piece it together from around the web, even with no soldering involved and save some $ for example while a lot of people have that receiver, there are equivalent ones like the Boscam that are cheaper.
If you have any electronics/soldering competence at all you can even cut a few more corners and patch the cables yourself... this video will give you an idea of just how hard a full manual FPV install is so you can decide if you want to undertake it or not but honestly with the ImmersionRC 600mW (bunch of us have different video Tx) and that special cable it's plug and play.

We had basically the same discussion in this thread, maybe go check it out and see what applies to you, especially the antenna bits. The stock antennas are crap, you're going to want better antennas and $40 is a bit cheap, I'd go with better.

I have read in many places that the Black Pearl monitors do not play well with the IRC video transmitters.

I use a similar system that requires no soldering, omits the Flytrex core, and which has worked for me up to and over 1 kilometer, depending on the conditions present. I use Fathsark goggles mostly, but also have the Lilliput 664 FPV monitor (which I have not used a lot yet) It is:

IRC 600mW vtx
mini iOSD
plug and play cable from firstpersonview.com:
http://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/p ... ransmitter

The monitor is this:
http://www.rc-drones.com/LILLIPUT-664W- ... p_685.html

I have never compared this system to any other, personally, but have been very happy with it. It sometimes even works through trees.

Detroit said:
Well I have decided to go FPV with my P2 H3-3D. I have ordered a P2V+ from Amazon which will be here Tuesday and Im either going to send it back or keep it for a spare. I have decided this because I feel that the gopro 3 black which I have takes FAR better video than the vision plus. Please correct me if I'm wrong. From watching videos on youtube I also feel like the gimbal is also quite a bit better with my P2 H3-3D. I can hover 300 feet in the air for a minute and watching the video back its so smooth I almost think the video freezes then a bird flys by LOL. Long story short I absolutely LOVE my P2 H3-3D and cant see letting it go. Im going to order a FPV kit and was wondering if anyone is using this kit or what they think about it? Also if there is another kit out there that you feel is better please let me know. http://motorcitydroneco.com/collections/drone-service-station/products/fpv-installed

I actually called Motorcitydrone because I live about an hour from them and the owner answered the phone tonight on Sunday at 9:30 at night and told me that this was a good solid setup and for an extra $40 they would send me better antennas and the range would be just short of 1 mile 4500-5000 Feet. Any advise would be appreciated!

I watched videos yesterday and I'm leaning toward soldering myself. I've never done it before but I've seen it done a few times. From the video above it doesn't look to bad.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using my neighbors internet

I also think soldering isn't that hard but I opted for the non-solder route as it was only $20 more and meant eliminated user error.

Detroit said:
I watched videos yesterday and I'm leaning toward soldering myself. I've never done it before but I've seen it done a few times. From the video above it doesn't look to bad.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using my neighbors internet

adanac said:
I also think soldering isn't that hard but I opted for the non-solder route as it was only $20 more and meant eliminated user error.

he's right, I keep forgetting there's that single easy cable if you're running an ImmersionRC and iOSD Mini. I'm on the Boscam Tx side so I had to make 4 easy solders

You are spending over $125 more than the parts cost.
There is no need to do any soldering when using the mini IOSD and Immersion Vtx as there is a cable you can buy that will make the installation solderless.

I would highly recommend you do learn to solder. Of you stay in this hobby you will need to do it at some point. It is very easy to learn and equipment is cheap.

Tom

Alright Im ready to buy today. In fact I want to buy now. Im leaving next week for a trip and want to be ready. Can someone post a link of a good Solder FREE setup. I want to have the BEST range possible as well. Also keep in mind I want to use the stock remote. Budget is $700 USD. Also want to record at the same time dont know if that makes a difference. Thanks allot!

I posted the link to the cable as well as the other components earlier in the thread. They are the ImmersionRC 600mW VTX with spironet antenna, mini iOSD and that cable.

You will be able to record on the GoPro at the same time you use the FPV gear I outlined above. You will be able to use the stock remote. You might not have good results with the Black Pearl monitor and IRC VTX based on multiple reports (and Immersion themselves).

The BEST range possible is hard to pin down because it depends on many things. Serious FPV folks don't use 5.8Ghz for fpv. With the components listed above I have been out over 1Km in good conditions.

Detroit said:
Alright Im ready to buy today. In fact I want to buy now. Im leaving next week for a trip and want to be ready. Can someone post a link of a good Solder FREE setup. I want to have the BEST range possible as well. Also keep in mind I want to use the stock remote. Budget is $700 USD. Also want to record at the same time dont know if that makes a difference. Thanks allot!

Detroit said:
Im going to order a FPV kit and was wondering if anyone is using this kit or what they think about it? Also if there is another kit out there that you feel is better please let me know. http://motorcitydroneco.com/collections/drone-service-station/products/fpv-installed

The kit you are buying is over priced by at least $90 including shipping.
I have a similar setup except I have both the IBCrazy 5.8Ghz Bluebeam Ultra Antennas, AND IBCrazy 5.8GHz 9.5dbic Helical Antenna for longer range range. With an unobstructed line of sight you should easily be able to go over 2200M with the Helical Antenna. I also have the DJI FPV Hub. My total cost with the your setup and the additional Antenna, DJI FPV hub and Flytrex core w/cable, and Velcro fasteners and shipping was under $600

Berto said:
I actually have that kit. Haven't tested it 100 percent on distance but for what I do it works perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Hi,
How far have you gone with it. I'd like to get to 2000 ft in urban areas, if possible.
Thanks

Dogstr said:
Hi,
How far have you gone with it. I'd like to get to 2000 ft in urban areas, if possible.
Thanks

I know a little bit about flying in urban area :) I started off with a 200mW transmitter and a low-end $40 antenna bundle (1Tx 1Rx) and could only get 50m before FPV was no good.

Now I have a 500mW transmitter and the FPVLR 3 antenna bundle which has 2 pinwheels (1Tx 1Rx) and a Helix (for Rx) . In a low-interference rural environment I've been out over 600m with just the pinwheels with zero interference. When I came back and flew in the city (using only pinwheels) I only got about 200m before interference started getting bad so I switched to the helix and I have crystal clear signal... so far I've only been out about 300m because I don't like flying over people and cars and stuff I'm still a little nervous about long range flight over a city but the point is the helix is a beast, great signal zero interference so far

anyway the kit: http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=106

QYV said:
Dogstr said:
Hi,
Thanks

I know a little bit about flying in urban area :) I started off with a 200mW transmitter and a low-end $40 antenna bundle (1Tx 1Rx) and could only get 50m before FPV was no good.

Now I have a 500mW transmitter and the FPVLR 3 antenna bundle which has 2 pinwheels (1Tx 1Rx) and a Helix (for Rx) . In a low-interference rural environment I've been out over 600m with just the pinwheels with zero interference. When I came back and flew in the city (using only pinwheels) I only got about 200m before interference started getting bad so I switched to the helix and I have crystal clear signal... so far I've only been out about 300m because I don't like flying over people and cars and stuff I'm still a little nervous about long range flight over a city but the point is the helix is a beast, great signal zero interference so far

anyway the kit: http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=106
Okay, thanks so much. It seems 2000 ft in city may be too optimistic. Thanks for the information.

Dogstr said:
Okay, thanks so much. It seems 2000 ft in city may be too optimistic. Thanks for the information.

I hope *I* didn't give you that impression... what I was trying to say is that with a powerful enough transmitter and the right antennas, 2000ft (600m) should be totally attainable. I'm saying you need to be on a 500-600mW transmitter and have high quality antennas: an omnidirectional on the Phantom and a helix on the receiver.

I've been halfway there (300m) without even a hint of interference in the urbanest of urban environments :) FPVLR says the helix is a 10k (33,000ft) antenna in perfect conditions so 2000ft is way less than that

QYV said:
Dogstr said:

I hope *I* didn't give you that impression... what I was trying to say is that with a powerful enough transmitter and the right antennas, 2000ft (600m) should be totally attainable. I'm saying you need to be on a 500-600mW transmitter and have high quality antennas: an omnidirectional on the Phantom and a helix on the receiver.

I've been halfway there (300m) without even a hint of interference in the urbanest of urban environments :) FPVLR says the helix is a 10k (33,000ft) antenna in perfect conditions so 2000ft is way less than that
I'm new at this. Thank you for the clarification.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic