If you had $1K to spend would you?

Reaction score
Not yet an owner, but have been sitting on the sidelines for the last 24 months or so looking every now and then and waiting. I could spend $2K or more if I wanted to but have a self-imposed $1K budget all in. The reason I haven't bought earlier is that I didn't want to 'settle' for something just to make the budget. Always looked at the Phantom 3 series (or 3DR Solo) as good choices - except they were more $$ than I was willing to spend.

With 3DR out of the picture, I see that I can get factory-reconditioned P3 Advanced or Professional for <$700, which leaves me with enough budget to buy extra battery, crash parts, etc.

Knowing what you know now, would you? Or would you spend your $1K on something else?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Depends what you want to use it for and whether you intend to shoot in 4k or not. If not, go Advanced. If you need 4K and your pc can handle processing it, go Pro.

Just curious as to why you would be budgeting for crash parts? Learn to fly it in a big open space with no trees close by, hand catch and you won't need crash parts.

The best Phantom in that price range would be a Phantom 3 Professional. DJI is currently selling them for $655 here on Amazon ($16 more than a Phantom 3 Advanced). They are about $100 more if you buy one on DJI's website.

Reactions: Numone
Something else, as in another brand of drone?

I'd choose DJI first and then look at Autel, which is very close to DJI. I'd choose DJI first as they have been around for a long time and are very strong. With others, you run the risk if them not being around for very long. However, other companies do and would provide much better service is needed.

Also, you are asking Phantom owners if they would buy a Phantom. The answer seems to be predetermined.

My real question is if you would buy a REFUBRISHED unit . . .

And yes, asking Phantom owners if they would buy another Phantom. I happen to own a 40HP tractor that I use on my rural property. There are plenty of owners of my brand of tractor who will spend all day telling you that it is the one to buy - AND a fair number who will tell you that if they had to do it all over again they would buy something different. So I think asking current owners this question is a good idea.

However, other companies do and would provide much better service is needed.
I know a lot of people say this, but I'm not convinced it's true. I only had to work with Autel support once (so far) and found they were not very knowledgeable. Perhaps DJI just looks worse since they have more customers contacting them for help (more chances to provide bad service)?

My real question is if you would buy a REFUBRISHED unit
I would if it's sold by DJI. Refurbished Phantoms come with the same warranty as a brand new Phantom. Furthermore, DJI sends out refurbished Phantoms to customers everyday (since they are technically refurbished after being repaired). A lot of members of this forum who bought refurbished Phantoms mention they look brand new (for example).

Depends what you want to use it for and whether you intend to shoot in 4k or not. If not, go Advanced. If you need 4K and your pc can handle processing it, go Pro.

Just curious as to why you would be budgeting for crash parts? Learn to fly it in a big open space with no trees close by, hand catch and you won't need crash parts.

Why budget for crash parts? Because that would be the way to guarantee that I don't need any? :)
Seriously, I know enough to know that I don't know everything - and will end up spending money on things that I had not anticipated.

I know a lot of people say this, but I'm not convinced it's true. I only had to work with Autel support once (so far) and found they were not very knowledgeable. Perhaps DJI just looks worse since they have more customers contacting them for help (more chances to provide bad service)?

When DJI releases new firmware or updates the Go app, do we ever know what is being changed? Every try calling DJI and asking them a fairly simple question? Ever try to get warranty service from DJI?

DJI's warranty service did get better but only once they started to offer it as a service for charge. It's still pretty bad.

When DJI releases new firmware or updates the Go app, do we ever know what is being changed?
We only know about the major changes and new features. Like a boatload of other companies, they don't disclose every last detail in their release notes. Do I like that? No. Is this normal for a business? Yes.

Every try calling DJI and asking them a fairly simple question?
No, I've only chatted with them so far. They were able to help me with simple questions.

I'll be honest though -- when I need help with something, I'll search the Internet first. There is a lot of great information (like this forum) about Phantoms on the Internet. That's one of the reasons people should strongly consider buying one.

I'll be honest though -- when I need help with something, I'll search the Internet first. There is a lot of great information (like this forum) about Phantoms on the Internet. That's one of the reasons people should strongly consider buying one.

Sent my P2 in for warranty repairs. They denied the claim even though they admitted at the failure happened within the warranty period and that I made the claim within the warranty period. They denied an $86 repair because they received it after the warranty had expired (by a couple of months). I sent my P3 in for warranty repairs and they returned it without the gold stickers. They claimed these were not covered under the warranty (they removed them to open the drone).

We know that they have added major things to the firmware and app without telling anyone. As you mentioned above, we only found out because of good forums like this.

I think DJU is a good company and I think they put out a very good product. I've owned 4 of their drones and liked every since one of them. But they could do better. To say they have a poor customer service reputation is accurate.

Just my 2 cents. I've been flying (FPV) and building quads for a couple of years and decided I wanted longer flight times. I purchased a P3A from a friend and I love it. My friend brought a Mavic and I was impressed with what it could do i.e. follow me, obstacle avoidance etc. This and the fact that I like technology got me looking at the P4P. I want one, and I will get one.

In the long run it would have been cheaper, for me, to have gotten the P4P from the start, but I didn't do enough research on the capabilities of the P4 vs P3 and take into account my personality. I could have afforded the P4P but didn't want to spend that much money.

IMO, DJI makes is quality product. It is far better than the helis and quads I have purchased from another well known vendor.

My suggestion would be
  1. Study the models differences.
  2. Determine how you want to use it i.e. backpacking/hiking vs park and fly,
  3. Flight times you think is enough - more is better for me.
  4. Forget about crash costs but rather consider battery cost.
    • You have to screw up pretty bad to crash this thing.
    • when you go to fly how long do you plan on staying out. We usually are out for about 2 hours so I have 4 batteries.
I was penny wise and pound foolish.

Reactions: Numone
Not yet an owner, but have been sitting on the sidelines for the last 24 months or so looking every now and then and waiting. I could spend $2K or more if I wanted to but have a self-imposed $1K budget all in. The reason I haven't bought earlier is that I didn't want to 'settle' for something just to make the budget. Always looked at the Phantom 3 series (or 3DR Solo) as good choices - except they were more $$ than I was willing to spend.

With 3DR out of the picture, I see that I can get factory-reconditioned P3 Advanced or Professional for <$700, which leaves me with enough budget to buy extra battery, crash parts, etc.

Knowing what you know now, would you? Or would you spend your $1K on something else?

Thanks in advance

Martin
If I could do it all over again, I would not even buy a drone. Its sick and I enjoy it, but dealing with people complaining and more and more rules has made it not as fun. Now I need to plan ahread more instead of just being spontaneous. The "rent a cop" types at parks also frustrate me since they don't really know what they are talking about but its useless to argue. Now its only fun for me when I travel out to California and fly with relatives. Here in NY I end up not flying much anymore. Maybe that's not what you were asking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik