If you fly in Thailand, or anywhere for that matter, find and ask the landowner first.

Reaction score
Even if you fail to find the owner after asking around they will tell the owner you tried to find them.
About a year ago a farmer/owner rushed up to me with a rifle, outside of Bangkok, and was very irate, said he was about to shoot my drone down. We sorted it out in the end.
On this occasion the owner was pretty p*** with me, but ended up very amicably. And in the future I will have an awesome place to fly from. And he may get some aerial vids of his hotel.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sounds like you handled that well and glad it turned out ok.
That could have been a mess if you had had an attitude with
him. ? ?

You are right dirkclod, this is Thailand, if he chose to he could have called in the local cops and made it very unpleasant for me. Despite on paper, I was ok. And you are right in assuming I was very apologetic, polite and offered never to fly there again. In disputes between Thais and foreigners one side, almost always wins.

Customs make for different thinking and reactions. You handled it well. Sometimes I think, “What are they trying to hide?”.
I lived in a coal mining camp in my younger years. If I had a drone then, my cousin would have gotten very upset. He had some marijuana growing somewhere in the forest. Lol

Good read yes Thailand prisons not nice but great outcome.
I had flight last night cause nice evening,I could hear some kids up the road as normal watching me drone,2 min later the dad and kids walked past to see who flying,,I'm sure he was not happy but after seeing that i was on front lawn trying out me tripod set up he not say nothing and kept walking home,,got some tattoos on me arms and sure this put him off confronting me,was not flying over houses so unsure what his beef was,,had even checked flights and never went anywhere near his place,obviously not a drone fan,across road where I stay is a public bush reserve probably 400ft long and 300ft wide ,just one spot I like to hover at just over 300ft and pan around at hills and the ocean weather coming in,i consider this safe zone to fly,in full view of drone and safe place to ditch in emergency or malfunction, my first p4 had free fall onto house roof which broke concrete roof tile,,very lucky i lived at the address,,:oops:

Scary situation I am sure, glad you handled it well and came to an amicable conclusion with the owner. How did the followup meeting go?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic