If you ever wondered if a P3 can be restarted in mid flight.......

Kewl.

Proof again that restarting using CSC will not recover a falling P3P in midair, after a CSC motor kill, from any reasonable flying altitude! :cool: Others have already failed from 1,600 feet! 200 meters is grossly insufficient!

Not sure why they didn't suspend the P3P from a single DIY hook in the top center of the body, where the DJI logo is, allowing free rotation of the props, and actually starting up the P3P, before the release in midair...

If they had fully read all the threads on this Forum, they could have saved themselves $1,300!
Some people have to experience everything personally to believe it!
The rest of us can learn vicariously from other's experience!:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Mauk
Great video, thanks for sharing tommybear.

I'm assuming that the flight controller requires little to no movement in order to arm... every flight controller I've worked with in the past on my 3D helis require a certain amount of time during startup, with no movement at all, in order to arm. Even in light wind, the flight controller would not arm because the blade tips were moving around, causing everything to shake slightly. This is why I have a hard time seeing a P3 being able to arm in midair, suspended or not.

The gyroscopes are the reason for requiring little movement. I would hope someone with an octo that big would know that....

Last edited:
Reactions: N017RW
Great video, thanks for sharing tommybear.

I'm assuming that the flight controller requires little to no movement in order to arm... every flight controller I've worked with in the past on my 3D helis require a certain amount of time during startup, with no movement at all, in order to arm. Even in light wind, the flight controller would not arm because the blade tips were moving around, causing everything to shake slightly. This is why I have a hard time seeing a P3 being able to arm in midair, suspended or not.

The gyroscopes are the reason for requiring little movement. I would hope someone with an octo that big would know that....
Agreed. At least by my suggested suspension method, no P3P would be harmed in the process, except for the suspension hook, which could be just glued on, and removed later. It either arms in midair before release, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, return it safely to mother earth, still suspended from the octo.:cool:

A p2, p2v and p2v+ can and will restart and recover from a csc from 280m in height and from probably lower as it's been done many times. I've done it twice. I'm not convinced with this test. Why not just fly the p3 up on its own and csc to shut off and then csc to start back up again? Was this just to show off his bigger drone and oh look at me I can afford to smash up a p3? Something stinks here. Why can a p2 do it and a p3 not? I'd like to see it done like all the other csc recovery videos showing a p2 do it without it being dropped like that.

A p2, p2v and p2v+ can and will restart and recover from a csc from 280m in height and from probably lower as it's been done many times. I've done it twice. I'm not convinced with this test. Why not just fly the p3 up on its own and csc to shut off and then csc to start back up again? Was this just to show off his bigger drone and oh look at me I can afford to smash up a p3? Something stinks here. Why can a p2 do it and a p3 not? I'd like to see it done like all the other csc recovery videos showing a p2 do it without it being dropped like that.
I'm not willing to trial it for real, but when I trialed csc'ing from 350 meters on the dji simulator I was able to get it rearmed and stable by with 40-50 meters left to spare - so that would at least sugfest performance similar to the p2.

Simulator? Means nothing. When I get the p4 I'll do what I did with all the rest. Fly her high, csc and csc start up immediately but this time with the p3 there are proper logs. I don't give any credibility to the test in the video

Reactions: dirkclod
I have to wait until blade and tahoe ed rejoin before I breach my future nda which I won't sign either ;)
images2K2SWB2Z.jpg
Sorry Mal..hada do it :rolleyes:

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
That's got to be the dummest, worst test video i have ever seen... tested only the crash resistance of the drone and how cool and scientific the guy can sound, sorry. Thanks for posting.

Yes, the person in the video has no clue. We calculated that it would take 3 to 5 seconds to CSC ON and throttle up , and the phantom would drop more than 400 ft in that time. Once powered up, the Phantom will recover remarkably fast - less than a second. So, if you ever want to try this, start with lots of altitude.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Hahaha, crash & burn baby... I missed the flaming part? ;-)

I was hoping for the best, but expecting the obvious result.

Cover that falling Phantom with Silly Putty... NOT

RedHotPoker

Guess he should have installed a parachute on that bad boy before testing his theory

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj