If manual mode goes to gps mode, will phantom catch itself?

Reaction score
I could not find a definite answer for this and I want to know for sure before I try it out.

If I set my P2 into manual mode and all hell breaks loose, will gps mode straighten it out? Would it be right away?

For instance, if the thing turns upside down during manual mode.

Also, how high should I go when I try this for the first time?

Re: If manual mode goes to gps mode, will phantom catch itse

Please record the attempt. I think most of us would like to see the footage. Also if you are rich, could send some of the indigent phantom owners a little cash?[emoji12]

My 2 cents, i went out flying about a couple of months ago, i was still new to the phantom but wanted to go to naza mode and try atti and manual mode, long story short, i always flew in gps and rarely in atti, i basically forgot that the right switch had gps, atti and manual modes programed, i was showing it off to a couple of friends and accidentally went to manual mode, i just saw my phantom fall like 20 feet in a couple of seconds, luckuly i switched back to gps really fast and the craft went up again to original position, so i am tempted to say that if you go into manual and loose control, switching back to gps might bring your phantom back online..

Sana

the answer to your question is theoretically yes, the Phantom should recover if it has enough altitude to. How do you know if it has enough altitude? there's too many variables to pick an exact number.

what I mean is if your Phantom is only slightly unstable it may only need a few meters to recover to stable flight.
If your Phantom is already tumbling end over end, upside down and sideways when you flip to GPS mode, it may need significantly more time (and therefore altitude) to recover stability.

There are stories (urban legends?) around here of people using a Manual mode "free fall" to rapidly descend from high altitudes to save battery or if their battery got too low to make it all the way back down. I've never seen VIDEO evidence though.

proceed at your own risk. very high. but still legal :)

The Phantom doesn't stop on a dime even in GPS mode. I often add some reverse thrust to stop my bird when flying in GPS, and well...manual mode is just different altogether.

My advice would be to take your Phantom to an open field, make sure you set a home location, fly about 10 feet off the ground and put it in RTH. I think by default it goes 60 feet in the air and returns to the home location. You can interrupt the RTH at any time by entering ATTI or GPS.

Damon said:
Please record the attempt. I think most of us would like to see the footage. Also if you are rich, could send some of the indigent phantom owners a little cash?[emoji12]

It seems every youtube video on this uses the fpv footage. If I try this and I have someone with me I'l try to get it recorded and I'll let you know if I do.

May the force be with you.

The phantom will TRY to right itself if you flip into gps when inverted. Note that you will shut down the motors if you are inverted in gps/ATTI and drop the throttle under 10%.

Some people do use manual to descend or fly faster, it's the ones who disarm the motors to descend who are the crazy ones!

Carlj makes a good point that it takes time and distance to stop if you are going fast. Go fast enough in manual and it could take the length of a football field to come to a stop. I think at least some "I had no stick control!" claims in high speed crashes come from this.

And if you have seen videos of how fast this thing drops with no power you may want to be REALLY high up. :)

I don't know, this could win an award for worst idea ever! :eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl