If it crashes in open field, warranty ?

Reaction score
Waiting for my P3A to arrive and I am thinking about the warranty. I fly 90% of the time in open fields so I hope I dont have anything to crash in to. My question since I have sick fear to fly like 100m high and 1000m far, will the DJI fix the Phantom if it crashes itself for some reason ? It writes all data on the card but does anyone have experience with those warranty claims ? I see that a lot of you are driving it to the limit, high and far, also in the city where there are million wifi networks etc. If it crashes without drivers error, DJI will give warranty on the crashed bird or not ?

I was just waiting for my P2V+ to get any kind of error in air and crash. I dont have a lot of flying hours behind me so I just wait for it to fall the whole time

will the DJI fix the Phantom if it crashes itself for some reason ?
They will mostly like replace it if they determine it was caused by a design flaw. However, most crashes tend to be caused by some type of user error (even when flying in open fields).

How can user crash it if he flies and records over something with nothing to crash into ? I dont get it. Canyou give some examples. If I am high enough how can I crash it then ? So I know what to look after.

How can user crash it if he flies and records over something with nothing to crash into ? I dont get it. Canyou give some examples. If I am high enough how can I crash it then ? So I know what to look after.
Hmmm, let me see. Accidental CSC, High speed/Low altitude, just 2 off the top of my head.

I dont get it. Canyou give some examples.
Here are a few:
  • A propeller could fly off mid-flight due to being damaged and/or not installed properly.
  • The battery could shut off mid-flight.
  • Your Phantom could switch to ATTI mode and drift away in a heavy wind.
  • Rain could destroy it.
  • You could accidentally do a CSC mid-flight.
  • You could crash into a bird.
  • Your Phantom could tip over when landing on an uneven surface.

Last edited:
Expl : trigger emergency stop on controller. Will stop your bird motor and fall from the sky

Bad user compass calibration, attempt to fly without enough GPS satellite lockdown, bad use of intelligent fly orientation (sorry doesn't remember the correct acronym), inhability to regain control in ATTI mode...

Here are a few:
  • A propeller could fly off mid-flight.
  • The battery could shut off mid-flight.
  • Your Phantom could switch to ATTI mode and drift away in a heavy wind.
  • Rain could destroy it.
  • You could accidentally do a CSC mid-flight.
  • You could crash into a bird.
  • Your Phantom could tip over when landing on an uneven surface.

Propellers are selftightening so I dont get drivers error there ? Battery shut off ?? Phantom goes in ATTI by himself ? Those are DRIVERS error for you ? I dont think so.

True, the Props are self tightening, however heavy braking could possibly loosen one, or more. I think that was the point there.

How the hell I brake on the thing ? I can drive full speed and then just let the stick go to the middle, he should stop when he can but not brake with motors.

Propellers are selftightening so I dont get drivers error there ?
The props must be manually spun on and hand tightened. If they are just spun on and not hand tightened, they can fly off mid-flight.

Battery shut off ?
Yep. If you're not careful, you could fly your Phantom until the battery shuts off mid-flight.

Phantom goes in ATTI by himself ?
You got it. There are many legit cases where this can occur.

I can drive full speed and then just let the stick go to the middle, he should stop when he can but not brake with motors.
He stops like a champ. If you lower the brake setting in the DJI GO app, he will coast more before stopping though.

Propellers are selftightening so I dont get drivers error there ? Battery shut off ?? Phantom goes in ATTI by himself ? Those are DRIVERS error for you ? I dont think so.

They've been known to come off, due to not being snugged down enough. That would be user error.

The self-tightening description is sort of misleading, as they will NOT tighten themselves enough to keep from coming off. You have to do that yourself when you screw them on.

Well if I have 12 satellites and then Phantom suddenly decides to go in ATTI, thats nit my fault. But ATTI is not so big problem in most cases.

I can lower the brake ? Ok, I dont need him to stop like crazy.

I tighten propellers like crazy and I will not remove them ever since I bought a case where he can go with the props.

How the hell I brake on the thing ? I can drive full speed and then just let the stick go to the middle, he should stop when he can but not brake with motors.
The correct term is active braking
It's all about rapidly slowing the motor rotation, not about stopping the Phantom. That's where prop loosening could occur.

Reactions: Chris P Duck
Well if I have 12 satellites and then Phantom suddenly decides to go in ATTI, thats nit my fault.
We could debate these edge cases all day. The point is that DJI will not replace your bird for free if you crash and/or damage it due to some type of user error. They of course will be the one to determine if it was user error.

Yes I know that he got that and that the threads are plastic now but I will tigten them good and leave it that way for good. I can see DJI saying props were not tighten so your error, bye-bye

I get your point and that is ok, I just wanted to know if I hoover for 15 min on 100m height and it crashes because motor or ESC goes bad they will replace it. It is not easy to throw that kind of money ind the air and think I am on my own regarding quality of parts.

Tighten your props by hand. Get a good compass calibration and fly him. Should not have any problems. You should learn how to bring back your phantom in a number of emergency situations..

• Compass error -
  • Tablet shutdown -
  • P-ATTI mode - when bird switches on its own - yes he does it sometimes
  • Transmitter Connection lost -

Does Home Lock work when he gets compass error ? Thats the easiest way to get him back.

Does Home Lock work when he gets compass error ?
Most likely not since the compass is used to figure out which way the Phantom is pointing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj