If I disconnect the gimbal, will the phantom 3s still fly ok?

Reaction score
I am grounded and don't like it. I having trouble fixing my wife, I mean gimbal. She dozesn't want me to put money into fixing the gimbal. I am running out of options. I was wondering if I can fly my phantom if I disconnected the ribbon to the gimbal? On the table minis props, it seems to run fine. I want to make sure the phantom itself has no problems. That would than narrow it down to just the gimbal. SO, WILL IT FLY?

This question was asked back in March on another post. There wasn't one response.

Logically yes. Try and share your experience with us.

I took it out for a test flight. Remote shows red light. Checked imu. It's setting don't works on screen. I calibrated compass even though it never brought up the window that says okay. Lights on p3s worked as they should for calibrating. Didn't bring my screen shade. Hard to see screen. Set fight hight for rth. GPS not working. Automatic take off not working. Stick start up works. I bring it to 6 ft. and watch. Slight breeze, but p3s is stable. Test all stick directions and works fine. I started flying around the yard and it responds quite well. I didn't try auto flight modes. Too bright and I thought they weren't appearing. They appeared when I finished flying and saw them in the shade of the house. I flew it more aggressively and still responded quite well. It seemed like it was in GPS mode. No drifting. My wife wanted me to manually land it. I had to anyway. Auto land didn't work. It landed real sweet. That may validate me buying a gimbal to her. I can always use the old gimbal for parts.

I took it out for a test flight. Remote shows red light. Checked imu. It's setting don't works on screen. I calibrated compass even though it never brought up the window that says okay. Lights on p3s worked as they should for calibrating. Didn't bring my screen shade. Hard to see screen. Set fight hight for rth. GPS not working. Automatic take off not working. Stick start up works. I bring it to 6 ft. and watch. Slight breeze, but p3s is stable. Test all stick directions and works fine. I started flying around the yard and it responds quite well. I didn't try auto flight modes. Too bright and I thought they weren't appearing. They appeared when I finished flying and saw them in the shade of the house. I flew it more aggressively and still responded quite well. It seemed like it was in GPS mode. No drifting. My wife wanted me to manually land it. I had to anyway. Auto land didn't work. It landed real sweet. That may validate me buying a gimbal to her. I can always use the old gimbal for parts.

Good you are able to fly some!

I texted you this morning,, you must have been flying.

Later,

edspilot

I That may validate me buying a gimbal to her. I can always use the old gimbal for parts.

A tree jumped out of nowhere and attacked my P3, destroying the gimbal. I bought a compete new one on ebay for $250. Tough to do when you can get a brand new for $400, but still cheaper.

If it's just the parts you need you can usually get out for $50 if you DIY - plenty of YouTube videos to walk you thru the repair.

A tree jumped out of nowhere and attacked my P3, destroying the gimbal. I bought a compete new one on ebay for $250. Tough to do when you can get a brand new for $400, but still cheaper.

If it's just the parts you need you can usually get out for $50 if you DIY - plenty of YouTube videos to walk you thru the repair.
My problem is, what part. I've gotten to know my gimbal very well, but can't find what's wrong

Did another test flight this evening. This one was different. This morning, I disconnected the gimbal by unplugging the grey ribbon cable on the outside of the top gimbal. Easy way.
This evening I unplugged it from inside the top gimbal from the yaw motor. I wanted to check the electronics on top and keep the gimbal from banging around. I noticed my remote would go from red to green on it's own. I held it still to keep it green. It would go red. Wiggling things didn't seem to do anything. When it turned green It would show flight time, sats, battery, but auto modes wouldn't work. I never had the I imu switches come on, on my iPad. It flew like it was in atti, but it seemed to hold steady like gps most of the time. I let the battery run low to see if low battery made it land. It worked. I mostly let it hover. I never let it go higher then 50 ft. and no more then 300 ft away. It ran great, but stopped like atti. No flight records on iPad.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub