Idiotic that DJI doesn't put Phantom FC-40 in Fail safe mode

Reaction score
You have to go to their software to make it work.
I never saw this in any documentation. Which by the way is the poorest of any product I have bought. You would think they would make it where it came back home the default and not have to add it.

Re: Idiotic that DJI doesn't put Phantom FC-40 in Fail safe

Page 17 of the FC40 user guide describes the failsafe function that works by default whenever the controller loses signal, or is turned off by the pilot: http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .06_en.pdf

The setting you changed just gives you the ability to use the S1 switch to initiate it as well.

Same info is in the NAZA-M quick start guide, also on DJI's download page where the FC40 user manual is.

I'm surprised DJI is selling any at all. Thier manuals suck ***. The website features really poor English translations like excellent driving hand feel(whatever that means). And the customer service is an absolute joke. They have a us branch why can't someone there put appropriate English instructions on the web page.

as mentioned, it's available if you turn by default if you turn off the Tx or something goes wrong
They leave IOC off by default as well.

It does make sense tho, as the last thing you'd want is a newbie accidentally flipping one of those switches the wrong way while in flight, which would cause confusion. (or a crash due to confusion).
So they leave it off until the flyer becomes more familiar/educated with that they do.

I agree that DJI has crap documentation. I think it is there way of covering themselves against all these fly aways. When someone loses their drone they can say: USER ERROR DUE TO NOT FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS. Meanwhile you're thinking "but it didn't come with any instructions :roll: " and then they're like, "EXACTLY. :lol: "

All that said they're selling a ton because they are cool and fun and very useful for videographers, but the funniest thing is how many people who lose their drone forever due to fly away and their first response is...I HAVE TO GO BUY ANOTHER. These things are like crack :twisted:

Bradr19 said:
You have to go to their software to make it work.
I never saw this in any documentation. Which by the way is the poorest of any product I have bought. You would think they would make it where it came back home the default and not have to add it.

Fail Safe on the RH switch should only be enabled after you have some time on the controls and can find them by feel and fully understand their functions - under widely varying flight conditions.

Receiver Advanced Protection will invoke Fail Safe if the NAZA determines the receiver is not working, or is overloaded by a closer and stronger signal.

Turning off the TX (Last Ditch Hail Mary) will yield the same basic results.

There are some points in these routines where control can be restored to the pilot, so they are not end-to-end autonomous.

When Fail Safe is on the bottom position of the right hand switch, the pilot must ( I emphasize must) be aware that there exists the chance of unpiloted launch .

If it is toggled ( for any reason; pilot error, brush by neck strap, holding the tx by the top....... Anything that could possibly toggle that switch to the bottom position) between the time the motors are armed and then throttled up for controlled take off, it will initiate the Fail Safe routine under control of the NAZA.

As long as you are aware of this, and how to regain control before injury or damage to the craft occur, the switch can be a useful option.

This has been somewhat documented on the various user groups, and considered perfectly acceptable by many. Just trying to create a little awareness here. There are some things you just don't want to find out by surprise.

The "feature" is sometimes justified/marginalized by comparing it to using a blow dryer in the shower. SMH.........

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik