Idiot guide

Reaction score
I am a 60 year old virgin flyer. I have just bought my very first RC aircraft, namely a phantom Vision.I am not very techy, so I would appreciate some guidance with the PV. I have just watched a video made by the Guy from DJI, who used to be their ceo, and he said that in order to reduce the chances of a fly away one should download the latest firmware updates. Well I guess that means upgrade the software. How in gods name do you do that. I have noticed that the PV has a small usb slot, and I have a lead that I can charge my wifi range extender with. Now do I use this lead to connect the PV to my computor? If so then what? HELP???

Can I fly my PV as it is now without any mods? Provided I keep it low and close? Since DJI don't really give much in depth information I think an idiot guide to this information will help a lot of people who like me know nothing about RC flying.

Thanks in advance

Steve

I've just put up some of the recently removed DJI instructional videos...

http://droneslinger.com

Select "YouTube Vid" then select "DJI Instructional"

-slinger

seajunky said:
I am a 60 year old virgin flyer. I have just bought my very first RC aircraft, namely a phantom Vision.I am not very techy, so I would appreciate some guidance with the PV. I have just watched a video made by the Guy from DJI, who used to be their ceo, and he said that in order to reduce the chances of a fly away one should download the latest firmware updates. Well I guess that means upgrade the software. How in gods name do you do that. I have noticed that the PV has a small usb slot, and I have a lead that I can charge my wifi range extender with. Now do I use this lead to connect the PV to my computor? If so then what? HELP???

Can I fly my PV as it is now without any mods? Provided I keep it low and close? Since DJI don't really give much in depth information I think an idiot guide to this information will help a lot of people who like me know nothing about RC flying.

Thanks in advance

Steve

You need to go to DJI's website to read the complete and updated user manual. It will cover most questions you may have about the basic operation as well as firmware updates. Also if you have a brand new P2V that you just got there is a good chance the firmware is up to date but no guarantee. The micro USB port on the front of the Phantom is used for updating the firmware of the Phantom and an internal one is for the controller. The last controller firmware came out some time ago so it's very likely at minimum that your controller is already up to date. If you want to err on the safe side, go to DJI's website, and install the driver, then the assistant, and rc assistant software to your computer. Plug it all in, click the update button and makesure the firmware update numbers match what is the "latest" on the website. Do your compass calibration before your first flight, in clear grassy area, and you'll be good to go. Take it slow and easy and you'll be fine. The Phantom 2 Vision is very easy to fly. Make sure your first flights are with the Phantom facing away from you so you don't get confused with the controls getting refeversed when the Phantom is facing you. With practice you'll get good at that too. We also have very helpful threads that will also provide checklists and answers to most additional questions you may have. Good luck and safe flying.

Thank you very much guys for the advise. I look forward to getting it up in the air. And don't be suprised if I ask a few more questions ;) :D

seajunky said:
Thank you very much guys for the advise. I look forward to getting it up in the air. And don't be suprised if I ask a few more questions ;) :D

This is a great community. I was in the same boat back in October. No experience at all. This community helped me get airborne!

I just received my new vision 2. I would like to update my firmware to match the latest version... but details on this process are sketchy at best. I have the latest assistant on my PC, but have looked for an instructional video on the process and can't find one. This seems like a pretty important issue and I would have hoped for a more step by step process was available. Anyone out there able to shed light on this process.

1. I have a small USB port on the body.. but do I need to open this thing up to find another for a separate upgrade?

Page 50 onwards of the latest Manual (available from the Vision section of the DJI website) covers installing drivers, installing the Assistant software and upgrading firmware.

The good news is that when you open up the current version of the Assistant with the aircraft connected to your computer it will tell you if you need to upgrade your firmware. If it's all up to date then you'll get not prompts to update.

NOTE:
"RC Assistant" is for updating the transmitter only - it's not currently available for macs.
"Phantom 2 Vision Assistant" is for updating aircraft and diagnostics - it's PC & Mac.

One thing that I suggest is updating the firmware on your Controller as well. Tx. If you do not see a USB port on the outside you need to remove the screws from the back and GENTLY pry open from the bottom. Then find the USB port on the circuit board that matches your cable for your wifi repeater/phantom and plug the controller into the computer for update. There are some excellent videos online which may help you to open the controller. I'm disappointed DJI didn't think enough to put the USB port on the outside to begin with...

I found the whole firmware update process a bit confusing. At first I did not install the driver (typical did not read carefully) I then connected the PV2 and the assistant immediately took over and before I did anything, it initiated an update. Then I got the dreaded battery not authentic message. I checked the firmware update numbers and realised that one part (sorry, cannot remember which) needed a further update. Did that without problem and then the battery error message disappeared. The assistant said the controller needed updating so I had to open it up. The controller assistant reported that the firmware was up to date. I then reassembled the controller. I connected the PV2 again just to check all was OK and the assistant said my controller needed to be calibrated so I had to open it up again :) Finally everything seemed OK.

Moral of the story : do not close controller case until everything has been checked.

Is there any way to tell what your current firmware version is for the controller without opening up the tx and connecting to the RC assistant?

Thanks.

OK... So that was no fun at all!

I have the Vision and the Remote Controller up to date... Now I just need to update the camera and potentially NazaM. Anyone know where to find step by step info on that process? My camera is currently 1.1.7 (1.1.8 is current) and NazaM is 1.08.

Any hep would be greatly appreciated... I'd love to actually fly this thing sometime soon :)

Also... on DJI Vision support page it lists "Phantom 2 Vision Autopilot System v1.08" Where do you look to see what you are currently running???

FYI... Here's the latest Version Info from my recent upgrade

Vision
MC 1.08
5.8 Rec 1.0.1.3
Main Board 1.0.1.19

Remote Controller
Soft 1.0
Firm 1.0.2.22
Loader 12.1.0.3

Pull_Up said:
Note you can calibrate the transmitter from within the Vision Assistant to check/fix most issues.

Thanks for that info. I wonder if there is any difference in doing it in the RC assistant to the PT2 assistant. It seems a bit strange and a bit confusing to have it in two places.

As the Assistant calibration is basically the aircraft resetting what it sees as the zero value for the tx, I suspect that there is only so far that can go if the tx is waaaaay out. If the Assistant calibration doesn't show everything centred even after wiggling the sticks a few times then I assume it's time to open up and calibrate using the RC Assistant to reset a more severe calibration error at the tx level.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues