Idea for mod

Reaction score
OK, I don't know about you guys but when I'm flying and point the camera straight down from a fairly high altitude it's hard to tell where exactly I would land if I went straight down (hope this explanation makes sense)

My idea is for there to be some kind of dead center laser pointer type thing on the bottom of the drone that would indicate where directly down is.

Yeah. You need something on screen. Turning the grid lines on might help a bit. You could always draw your own crosshairs on the iPad screen :) (or perhaps just a Sharpie dot on a piece of Scotch Tape on the iPad screen).

I always use the onscreen grid, same with my DSLR.
Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 12.22.12 AM☀️.png

Last edited:
Reactions: dtokez
OK, I don't know about you guys but when I'm flying and point the camera straight down from a fairly high altitude it's hard to tell where exactly I would land if I went straight down (hope this explanation makes sense)

My idea is for there to be some kind of dead center laser pointer type thing on the bottom of the drone that would indicate where directly down is.
I just use the center point overlay in the camera settings. Center the aircraft over your landing point with the camera pointed straight down from whatever height, and descend. Correct for any minor drifting using the FPV during descent, and look up when about 20 feet overhead and move next to the descending aircraft and hand catch, or just land.

An onscreen cross hair would assume your camera is pointing perfectly straight down. I think an independent laser (as Rami kinda suggested) set up perpendicular the the craft would be more accurate. That being said What Gadget Guy said is true as well.... I've used the similar method. Point camera "straight down" on FPV pick a point in the middle of the screen and descend towards it using FPV...

Reactions: GadgetGuy
An onscreen cross hair would assume your camera is pointing perfectly straight down. I think an independent laser (as Rami kinda suggested) set up perpendicular the the craft would be more accurate. That being said What Gadget Guy said is true as well.... I've used the similar method. Point camera "straight down" on FPV pick a point in the middle of the screen and descend towards it using FPV...
A laser attached to the aircraft would point anywhere but straight down. It would point all over the place as the aircraft changes orientation to maintain position. For any chance of success, the laser would have to be mounted to the stabilized part of the camera, or have it's own gimbal.

A laser attached to the aircraft would point anywhere but straight down. It would point all over the place as the aircraft changes orientation to maintain position. For any chance of success, the laser would have to be mounted to the stabilized part of the camera, or have it's own gimbal.
Carry your cat for added entertainment.

Ahhh yeah, actually you are correct :) The gimbaled camera would be a better location, was not thinking clearly o_O

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20