Idea, attaching helium tubes to reduce weight

Reaction score
The problem with drones is that u can't add anything to it because of the weight. Even If u want to extend a lifetime of flight by adding more batteries, it won't work cause batteries are heavy.

So my idea is attaching helium tubes so it reduces some of the weight. Won't this work???

Tubes are going to have to be quite large to do any good..Waste of time. Try this. Get a helium balloon. Measure its volume and how much it can lift and go from there.

Monte is right, its a waste of time.. Below are the formulas :

To determine how many liters of helium a sphere can hold, the equation is 4/3 x pi x r x r x r. The radius of a 30-centimeter-diameter balloon is 15 centimeters, so:

4/3 x pi x 15 x 15 x 15 = 14,137 cubic centimeters = 14 liters

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cool idea, basically "Blimpcopter" or mating dirigibles to MR quad/hex power systems.

Monte is right, its a waste of time.. Below are the formulas :

To determine how many liters of helium a sphere can hold, the equation is 4/3 x pi x r x r x r. The radius of a 30-centimeter-diameter balloon is 15 centimeters, so:

4/3 x pi x 15 x 15 x 15 = 14,137 cubic centimeters = 14 liters

Forgot to mention that Each liter of helium can lift 1 gram

The problem with drones is that u can't add anything to it because of the weight. Even If u want to extend a lifetime of flight by adding more batteries, it won't work cause batteries are heavy.

So my idea is attaching helium tubes so it reduces some of the weight. Won't this work???
Will it work? Well first you need to define what the word work means in this context. What exactly are you trying to achieve.

In order to get any meaningful amount of lift, you're going to need a LOT of helium. Whether you do it via lots of individual balloons or one large blimp-like envelope wouldn't really matter. The end result would be the same, You'd have a very large amount of sail that would present quite a cross-section in the wind and produce a lot of drag as you tried to move it.

So if you want to get your drone in the air and move it around getting shots from lots of different angles, a helium assist option probably won't help much. This is because most of what you gain by making the whole rig lighter due to all the helium would be spent on all the extra effort its going to take to move the whole thing through the air.

However if your goal is just to get the drone in the air and park it in one place and keep it there for a long time, then a boatload of helium could help quite a bit. But honestly if that's your goal. building an RC blimp or just suspending a remote controlled camera rig from an easily obtainable weather balloon would probably be a more efficient and less troublesome option.

FWIW, I did kite photography (camera suspended from a kite line) for years before I bought my drone. If you've got a decent kite camera rig and a good kite, you can park your camera in the air for hours if you want so long as you've got more than a light breeze. The weather balloon option I mentioned above would only be useful in near dead calm wind conditions.

This is the problem where the idea came from.: I can extend the flight time by adding more batteries, but the batteries weight takes 70% of the time its giving and keeps me with 30% only. So I thought why not help the drone save some power by reducing the weight with some helium.

Balloons are messy and helium is expensive! In 2012, I used a large balloon to build a vertical LED column for our campsite at Burning Man.

It took a 5.5ft balloon with an 87 cubic foot capacity to lift 30ft of LEDs into the air. And once it was up there, the wind had it's merry way with it. I brought 4 balloons. All 4 got used.

Reactions: nxs818

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20