I was told this is dangerous to fly by. No flight issues.

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Gryphon
Well if it's abandoned(?), than it's inactive. So no issues as you experienced.
If it were active than there could be interference which could 'swamp' your control signal resulting in RTH when passing through the narrow beams typical of those antenna types. However even that is limited to acute locations around the site.

Even if it was operational it wouldn't interfere because his ac is running at a completely different channel

Just came across this thread and recognized that structure type. It's actually one of 49 similar concrete towers built as part of a transcontinental microwave route (NY, NJ, PA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, CO, WY, UT, NV, CA).

The Sublette tower was a Type 2C structure built in 1957 (1 of 4 other 2C's) with a height of 103' (31.39m) and a 24' (7.31m) face, linking Tampico and Lee IL.

Pretty cool building. The radio room is in that top window (keeping the waveguide run short), the battery room below that, with the filament battery room below that. The genset was located on the ground floor.

Don't think for a minute that I knew all that off the top of my head. I just saw this building structure once on a tech manual I was studying on microwave. I'm a broadcast radio engineer, so it was a little more than just plain boring, haha. After some Google-foo I found the above info here - The Microwave Radio and Coaxial Cable Networks of the Bell System and regurgitated it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen