I was told not to fly in pine island FL

Reaction score
Hi all, first real post here. I'm in pine Island Fl on vacation, though I would take a short flight by a pier at caption cons restraint. So I just took off I'm about 20ft in the air, when some guy came over to me and said I can't fly their because it was a coast guard extraction point. Is said no problem I would just move on. What I am wondering is why didn't the Dji software letting me know about a helicopter pad that was 500 ft from where I was taking off from. I would still considered myself newbi. What is everyone's else thoughts on this. Second side of the story as I was getting the drone out to calibrate every one around was very curious and ok with me flying their.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
It's not an established airport. Anyone can put a heli pad just about anywhere they want.

I'm not sure the heli pad would qualify as a no fly zone and prohibit you from flying there. You would be responsible for yielding the right of way to manned aircraft.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
You can always ask to see the regulation. Don't always take any old Joe on the street's advice. If they are in uniform, then listen to them, if not always question it. Many people will feed you false information based on their feelings or perceptions.

I have found the software does not inhibit me from flying anywhere. I live within 5 miles of a rather large airport, and have no problems flying. What gives?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have found the software does not inhibit me from flying anywhere. I live within 5 miles of a rather large airport, and have no problems flying. What gives?

What version are you on... go app & firmware?

Thanks for everyone's pov, it is definitely a two sided coin. I definitely wanted to question the plain clothes man that was telling me I couldn't fly. But on the same hand the place I am vacationing at. My friend calls home, so I'm not trying to make any fuss for him when I leave. But if same thing happens to me in the future I will definitely hold to my right's I'm headed to cabbage keys now to eat. Hopefully I can take a short flight their. I will keep everyone posted.

I think I would have recalled the drone and started to put it away, but at the same time ask a few more questions. Maybe mention the FAA NFZ integration with the software and it's not listed, yielding to other craft, etc. All depending on how it was going - not trying to push it, but to try and figure out if it was someone who thought that you were some jerk planning on being annoying and didn't understand how things should be handled. Then again, he may have come across someone less cooperative than you in the past. Enjoy your meal!

It's not an established airport. Anyone can put a heli pad just about anywhere they want.

I'm not sure the heli pad would qualify as a no fly zone and prohibit you from flying there. You would be responsible for yielding the right of way to manned aircraft.
absolutely my interpretation UNLESS local ordinances prohibit UAS flights.

What version are you on... go app & firmware?
I'm not sure of the FW, but I do know it was the most recent as of about 6 months ago. I recall reading in the literature at the time that it should not fly in no fly zones, but it continues to do so.

I had my Phantom 2 sitting on the shelf since around August until just a few weeks ago, and I've got the fever again recently. Should I update firmware?

If it flies good just leave well enough alone. Back then the restrictions were different. I would recommend you not update anything if you like it as is.

Reactions: snerd
Thanks for everyone's pov, it is definitely a two sided coin. I definitely wanted to question the plain clothes man that was telling me I couldn't fly. But on the same hand the place I am vacationing at. My friend calls home, so I'm not trying to make any fuss for him when I leave. But if same thing happens to me in the future I will definitely hold to my right's I'm headed to cabbage keys now to eat. Hopefully I can take a short flight their. I will keep everyone posted.
Probably some old guy who watches to much Fox News and fears what he doesn't understand.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj