I want to get back into the air- suggestions & help please

Reaction score
I haven't flown in 90 days due to the fly always.

I have been reading the forum over that time, and don't see much about that.

So, I was thinking of getting back into the game.

Can anyone suggest what steps to take with my original Phantom to get it up to snuff for as little $$$ as possible?

I have the original, a choice of a DX 8 or the original Phantom radio, and even a set of Graupner props.

Thanks in advance

D

Re: I want to get back into the air- suggestions & help plea

Ditch the original controller (is that the one that had two flyaways?) dji are running d-bus and not ppm now. I'm guessing the ppm had something to do with the flyaways, from my limited knowledge, PCM would have been a better choice, but meh. If you do run with the phantom controller, add in some type of data logger, either on board, or a drv on the fpv link with OSD, should another flyaway occur, you'll have data (I love data, I'll have 3 individual DL's on my phantom soon!)

Also, Update to FW 4.0x and set the limits low, just until you build up your confidence again.

And go easy on DJI, we all know they have alot on their plate :) lol

justsomeguy said:
Driffill said:
Ditch the original controller (is that the one that had two flyaways?) dji are running d-bus and not ppm now. I'm guessing the ppm had something to do with the flyaways, from my limited knowledge,

There are many folks that have used, and continue to use, the stock TX in PPM mode without issue. Limited knowledge? Check.

Rather than always blaming the equipment it would be prudent if folks understood this goofball's history (poor flying location decisions, losing a prop upon "flyaway", two "flyaways"...) before conflating his pilot errors with true "flyaways."

This same goofball claims that DJI has never replaced a Phantom that has experienced a real (i.e. not pilot error) fly away. That is a fantasy that he clings to because he is unwilling to accept responsibility for his poor decisions.

I'm well aware of Darren's history, infact I had written up a detailed reply about his two flyaways, but decided not to post it as there were plenty of other pointing out what he did wrong, I figured the guy didn't need my opinion too!

I know plenty of people still use the original Tx, I'm one of them! That's why I'm running multiple dataloggers!

Driffill said:
Ditch the original controller (is that the one that had two flyaways?) dji are running d-bus and not ppm now. I'm guessing the ppm had something to do with the flyaways, from my limited knowledge, PCM would have been a better choice, but meh. If you do run with the phantom controller, add in some type of data logger, either on board, or a drv on the fpv link with OSD, should another flyaway occur, you'll have data (I love data, I'll have 3 individual DL's on my phantom soon!)

Also, Update to FW 4.0x and set the limits low, just until you build up your confidence again.

And go easy on DJI, we all know they have alot on their plate :) lol

Thanks for your comments.

D

I do not want this to sound harsh. I am not poking at you and I am trying to help. I have been flying the Phantom and other DJI products for a while now and I made some mistakes and have seen a lot of the mistakes that folks have been making.

The Phantom is a very precision machine and everything has to be just right with it when it is put back together or there will be issues such as fly aways or burned out cables. The main cause of fly aways is almost always human error. Either a home point was not set properly, or compass and IMU is out of calibration. If you have burned out a power cable and then blamed it on something like a gimbal it is because the wire was pinched and shorted when the Phantom was reassembled. Again human error is at work.

Has your Phantom been upgraded to version 4.02? If not do that asap! It helps a lot. After you do that then re-import the default Phantom parameters and recalibrate the IMU and compass. Also get a GPS tracker, they are essential to flying any kind of UAV. If you do not have an FPV transmitter with a MINI IOSD and PMU get one asap! They give a lot of information about what is going on with the Phantom during the flight. If you encounter a fly away there will be instrumentation telling you what is happening and where your Phantom is going.

If you think that there is a piece of hardware that has failed on your Phantom then just replace it. I would start with the easiest and cheapest things to fix which are the receiver and the compass. They should run you about $30 together. The next step up from that should be to replace your transmitter with is around $70. If you really want to spend some cash then get a Futaba T8FG for $450. They are rock solid.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20