I think I used my two free lives.

Reaction score
Yesterday took the quad up to a sheltered quarry (as it was windy) and let it accidentally venture around a corner and out of sight (concentrating on dji go app). Remembering the advice I'd received, I flew straight up to find it..... and into the gusty wind. Away from me! Rth wasn't quick enough so I lined the compass up and belted full throttle home and managed to land ok. Although it was clear to see it was fighting the gusts.
Today and I've been practicing low altitude, in a large open field. All going well, concentrating on keeping a good 2-3m altitude I was doing well until a tree jumped out in front of the quad! We crunched and fell into a large muddy puddle. Quick rescue and fired it up straight away to blow away excess liquid, which worked. A short hover and tail between my legs, returned home a little wiser.
98073403b9797c766ccdfe234de4321c.jpg

Cleaned the motor out with cotton buds, wd40, paper towels and the hoover for the big lumps. Couple of test flights and I think I got away with it.
Phew!
c28fecb3ed44b1b80225e98bc2691a9b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would never put Wd40 in the motors, hope it works out for you

I would never put Wd40 in the motors, hope it works out for you

Common sense....Wd40 is much better then dirt and debris.

Btw, since the aircraft was in a puddle until you reached it and removed it, unless it was sitting on it's landing gear, it's going to need opened up and cleaned up properly. It on takes a drop of water on electronic surfaces to rust & corrode. And should that happen, you'll wish you had cleaned in the early stages.

Reactions: egg1000
Common sense....Wd40 is much better then dirt and debris.

Btw, since the aircraft was in a puddle until you reached it and removed it, unless it was sitting on it's landing gear, it's going to need opened up and cleaned up properly. It on takes a drop of water on electronic surfaces to rust & corrode. And should that happen, you'll wish you had cleaned in the early stages.
Cheers, I think I got lucky. Really lucky. It was literally just the rotor arm. The only thing below the water line was the motor. Quick shake and flight blew most away, and managed to completely dry it at home with the wd40 and cotton buds. Another flight and it's hard to tell which motor it is.

So so lucky, camera, Gimbal, everything else was untouched.

Lesson learnt!
3fe881fbafe8a51bb1da15a6b947729b.jpg

Worse case scenario will need a new £15 motor in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Careful with WD40 on your motor, I would recommend CRC 6-56 instead. From my experience with both, WD40 is a mostly a penetrant with a small percentage of lubricant. CRC 5-56 marine is less of a penetrant and more of a lubricant. Then if you want a safe engine flush and get rid of grit, try Isopropyl alcohol. It is a fairly mild solvent used for general cleaning of electronic equipment. It will not attack the wire enamel or plastic coatings in the motor, but it will probably remove some oil from the bearings. It will help the water evaporation process.
Hope this helps if you have further problems.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl