I Speak To You.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Ive been having a lot of fun with my phantom, getting a lot of great shots and recordings.
I love even having the interaction between the phantom and people.
Seeing the reaction of others, and having them look is great video, I love when people wave.

So i was wondering how cool would it be if i can speak to my audience.

So my question is, how hard would it be to install audio setup into my phantom so that i can speak threw threw a small microphone and have the people near my phantom hear what i am saying.

I want to know what you guys think about my idea, and get feedback on how i can do this.

Thanks

I think the noise it makes even at hover would restrict this, I'm sure you'd need a loud speaker, at least.

I can't imagine it would be difficult at all to actually do even my surveillance cam can to it. I like your thinking.

Hello. I see what you are saying, but I think that is a terrible idea. You shouldn't be flying anywhere near close enough to people for that, especially just random people. You shouldn't fly around, above, or near any bystanders for any reason, especially not just to get a reaction. The P2 is a nice tool and can be a fun toy, but it is not for "interacting" with other people. They sure are fun though! :lol:

I guess we would have to install a loud amplifier for the speaker steveeds?
I dont know much about amplification or speakers, but maybe someone can give us a idea.

Would a larger speaker require a smaller amp?

Is it possible to use sound cancelation to mask the sound of the props?

Are there any alternatives?

neil64 said:
Hello. I see what you are saying, but I think that is a terrible idea. You shouldn't be flying anywhere near close enough to people for that, especially just random people. You shouldn't fly around, above, or near any bystanders for any reason, especially not just to get a reaction. The P2 is a nice tool and can be a fun toy, but it is not for "interacting" with other people. They sure are fun though! :lol:

I understand your concern neil. And im not going to argue, i dont think there is a wrong or a right.
I think if you are safe and know what you are doing its ok.
Like i said if you are safe and know what you are doing, I try and emphasize that cause it can be looked in many degrees.

I always do try and keep a distant altitude and distance, And this reactions are not just reactions. I dont fly just for fun. I fly to record and capture the moment. Every video i save onto my hard drive. so i can relive it.
Everything in life can be unsafe, just like slipping on a banana, But i wont be scared of every banana i see.

Does anyone know if a large amplification required to broadcast my voice threw my phantom would weigh a lot.
I still would like to know the alternatives and get more feedback into this idea.

"Is it possible to use sound cancelation to mask the sound of the props?"

Now there's a thought.

Listen to the racket it makes on startup and as read it's just noise generated from the motors so anything is possible.

I can't have any valued input to the hows and working of making this work for you I'm sorry so I'll bow out and watch, good luck.

GodsCreat0r said:
neil64 said:

I understand your concern neil. And im not going to argue, i dont think there is a wrong or a right.
I think if you are safe and know what you are doing its ok.
Like i said if you are safe and know what you are doing, I try and emphasize that cause it can be looked in many degrees.

I always do try and keep a distant altitude and distance, And this reactions are not just reactions. I dont fly just for fun. I fly to record and capture the moment. Every video i save onto my hard drive. so i can relive it.
Everything in life can be unsafe, just like slipping on a banana, But i wont be scared of every banana i see.

Does anyone know if a large amplification required to broadcast my voice threw my phantom would weigh a lot.
I still would like to know the alternatives and get more feedback into this idea.

Yes, safety is very important. For your banana analogy, I'm not talking about being worried all the time because the P2 could be unsafe - I'm just saying that you should never be in a position where it is even possibly unsafe because mistakes/errors/hardware failures happen and can not be predicted. Also, in most places, it is illegal to fly around people who haven't given permission and been made aware of the situation. Don't worry - I'm not hating on your fun, just saying to be very careful treading this deep water and please remember that your actions with your P2 affect the rest of us pilots. I would hate to see you get into trouble with the FAA or any of those other government acronyms.

So i was wondering how cool would it be if i can speak to my audience.

neil64 said:

I think the point is, God, that your Phantom really shouldn't have an "audience" if you are flying safely. So, some of us object to the premise of your question.

The issue isn't about YOUR safely procedures or YOUR ability, it's about the fact that a $1000 drone won't have the necessary R&D in it to prevent a mishap, a glitch. IF you are flying close enough for people to hear you on a speaker over the noise of the propellers, than you're so close that a person wouldn't have time to get out of the way should the drone go on a little un-commanded safari...

doug86 said:
The issue isn't about YOUR safely procedures or YOUR ability, it's about the fact that a $1000 drone won't have the necessary R&D in it to prevent a mishap, a glitch. IF you are flying close enough for people to hear you on a speaker over the noise of the propellers, than you're so close that a person wouldn't have time to get out of the way should the drone go on a little un-commanded safari...

...depends on how loud the speaker is, I reckon.

If anything, You want the craft to be as unintrusive as possible.
Having it call out to people will only cause havoc.
That that is what we do not need.

But if it made R2D2 noises, maybe played a little Sinatra "Come Fly with Me" or the Close Encounters theme...that would be kind of funny, and if it's kind of funny then it can't be all bad.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj