I screwed up... literally

Reaction score
I screwed up.

I recently received my new Phantom 2 Vision+, and have had one or two successful flights. However I noticed that I lose most of my satellites when I turn video recording on. After some searching, a common fix is the well known foil mod. So I got some aluminum tape and set off to remove the top of the case from the Phantom, but had difficulty getting the last screw out on the edge of the arm.

Long story short, I stripped it. Like, really stripped it. The head is basically now just a smooth hole. I have tried everything to get this screw out but have had no luck, and I don't think I'll be able to return it (due to the GPS issue) with the ruined screw.

So basically, I'm screwed. Does anyone know a trick to getting this screw out? Am I doomed forever to live with a faulty Phantom thanks to a single, tiny screw?

Photo attached.

*Edit* - Lackluster update here: viewtopic.php?p=252746#p252746

Attachments

• IMAG0275.jpg
    IMAG0275.jpg
    942.8 KB · Views: 1,192
Put the allen screws back in to take pressure off small phillips and if you can't grab with a phillips try a larger straight blade or vice grip.

Yep, replace the other two screws then carefully use a dremel grinding wheel to carve a slot in the head. :D

The issue you are fighting is threadlock.
That screw actually threads into a small metal block in the lid of the shell.

I don't see how you can get vicegrips around that screw :? .
But cutting a slot in the head and then using a flalade has been touted here before.

Good Luck.

Last resort is a drill about 1mm smaller than the head and drill the head of the screw off.

You should then be able to remove the body then use some pliers to unscrew the rest of the screw.

Last resort is a drill about 1mm smaller than the head and drill the head of the screw off.

+1

I drilled mine out. Didn't butcher the arms and it was pretty quick

Yeti22 said:
I screwed up.

I recently received my new Phantom 2 Vision+, and have had one or two successful flights. However I noticed that I lose most of my satellites when I turn video recording on. After some searching, a common fix is the well known foil mod. So I got some aluminum tape and set off to remove the top of the case from the Phantom, but had difficulty getting the last screw out on the edge of the arm.

Long story short, I stripped it. Like, really stripped it. The head is basically now just a smooth hole. I have tried everything to get this screw out but have had no luck, and I don't think I'll be able to return it (due to the GPS issue) with the ruined screw.

So basically, I'm screwed. Does anyone know a trick to getting this screw out? Am I doomed forever to live with a faulty Phantom thanks to a single, tiny screw?

Photo attached.

Its all good. I been there, done that..pm me your address and I will mail you new screws. when you get em drill out the very top of the screw so the cover can be removed, then use needle nose to pull out the stump. in the meantime put all screws back in and fly away. (watch your sats) sometimes you might drop sats while sitting on the ground but no so much 20' up.

also next time... take those little screws out first. make sure you have the right phillips

I had exact same problems getting same screw out... for the same mod lol. Luckily I didn't strip mine, almost though.
For future ref you need a #0 size philips head. Thought they were on incredibly tight, but like everyone said.. just need the right screw driver. Those screws had me pissed off for a good few hours till I found the right screw driver.

Anyways if you can get all the other screws out and remove the lid a little bit.. you should be able to hopefully use a dremel to just chop the screw in half ??

Quick update:

Thanks all for the tips. I managed to get the screw out, but not in the prettiest of ways. As suggested, I took a drill to the screw and after a few hours of careful work, ended up obliterating the screw head entirely leaving only the "bolt" intact, and the lid came right off.

I did the foil mod, put her back together and took her out for a test flight. She flies great, but I'm still having the issue where I lose about 25-50% of my satellites the second I begin recording video. I generally had 8-9 satellites when not recording, but dropped to 4-5 once I began recording. This is absolutely bizarre to me; I don't know what the issue could be if it's not software-related now that the GPS unit is totally shielded.

Meanwhile, unfortunately, this method left a small amount of unavoidable (at least in my opinion) cosmetic damage to the area the screw was. It's not mangled and looks mostly normal with the screw in, but it's clear something has occurred in the area. So I guess that means I won't be sending it back to DJI.

Looks like I'll just have to learn to live with not taking video all the time until someone discovers a solution. Which kind of sucks, considering I have several friends with Phantoms that don't have this issue.

Once again, thanks for the tips.

Also, Wedeliver, I tried to PM you but I've only just registered so I'm not allowed apparently. I'll try again in a bit. Thanks for the offer!

Yeti22 said:
Also, Wedeliver, I tried to PM you but I've only just registered so I'm not allowed apparently. I'll try again in a bit. Thanks for the offer!

Hi,
If I was you I would call the DJI number +1 (818) 235 0789 and report what is happening when you try and record. I don;t think your little bit of cosmetic damage would stop them from fixing the issue. They can fix it and send it back with the same shell or not. Really not your problem. Your quad should work and you should be able to use it al. Be upfront about what you have done and why you did it and I think you might be pleasently surprised.

my email if you want a new screw to replace the one you have removed, just shoot me an email at

[email protected]

In the meantime you can fly without those screws in. just check the other screws every so often to make sure they are not working loose. Have fun and happy flying.

Craig

N017RW said:
The issue you are fighting is threadlock.
That screw actually threads into a small metal block in the lid of the shell.

Good Luck.

you sure?? I thought that was a self tapper into plastic??

i recently had this same issue. this is what i did.
i got my friend to come over who works with tools on a daily. after examining he used a a little saw to make a grove on the stripped screws (it was two of them) then used a pliers with a sharp point to grab and turn. after two days of fiddling by myself he got it off in 30 mins...minimal cosmetic damages other than a few scratches ...im happy again

How did you do the mod ?
Just asking because I've done it to and don't get the drop.. It all works nicely. I tried like 6 diff versions though :/

I ended up getting aluminium tape (was really this weather proof tape) placing it over the stock cover of gps.. 2 pieces of tape.. and also covering the side bits half way up the 4 arms.
Also covered all of that in electrical/masking type tape to stop the aluminum touching anything, as it looks like it does when you close lid. Make sure the gps cable is coverd and only a few cm sticks out, just enough to plug in. There is heaps of diff ways to do it in the thread in PV2+ forums.. but yeah thats what I did and can record without loosing sats..

After my loss of control issue last week I will NEVER fly her without 6+ sats... :/

What a dumb design placing the little phillips next to the nice hex bolts that are so easy to grab. I have everything out but one stripped screw. I was going to spend my day working on my upgrades and now I will waste it on removing a 2 cent screw.

However, thank you for the useful suggestions!

What a dumb design placing the little phillips next to the nice hex bolts that are so easy to grab. I have everything out but one stripped screw. I was going to spend my day working on my upgrades and now I will waste it on removing a 2 cent screw.

However, thank you for the useful suggestions!

Use a rubber band and place over the screw head. This will help with grip and the correct torque.

Quick update:

Thanks all for the tips. I managed to get the screw out, but not in the prettiest of ways. As suggested, I took a drill to the screw and after a few hours of careful work, ended up obliterating the screw head entirely leaving only the "bolt" intact, and the lid came right off.

I did the foil mod, put her back together and took her out for a test flight. She flies great, but I'm still having the issue where I lose about 25-50% of my satellites the second I begin recording video. I generally had 8-9 satellites when not recording, but dropped to 4-5 once I began recording. This is absolutely bizarre to me; I don't know what the issue could be if it's not software-related now that the GPS unit is totally shielded.

Meanwhile, unfortunately, this method left a small amount of unavoidable (at least in my opinion) cosmetic damage to the area the screw was. It's not mangled and looks mostly normal with the screw in, but it's clear something has occurred in the area. So I guess that means I won't be sending it back to DJI.

Looks like I'll just have to learn to live with not taking video all the time until someone discovers a solution. Which kind of sucks, considering I have several friends with Phantoms that don't have this issue.

Once again, thanks for the tips.

Did you tuck the cable under the shield??

I drilled off the head of the screw. Not super easy but not impossible. I did let it overheat and I think the plastic started to bind to the screw. Next time I will loosen the little screws first, and if they are not behaving, maybe heat them up just a little.

You need to use a #0 size philips head and make sure you press down hard when you unscrew it for the first time. Otherwise, as you discovered, the head easily strips. I don't think they could have found a softer metal for that screw.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl