I realized today that auto land is my friend.

Reaction score
Not getting enough flying time to stay super proficient with my P3S, I tried to kill the motors with the down and together motion instead of just holding down on the altitude stick, totally flipped it on its side.:eek: I think I will have to keep simplification in mind ad use the auto landing, if I go for more than a week without flying either of my drones.

I was doing exactly the same thing. Worst part was I did it during my flight assessment for PFCO! Still passed.

I don't get how auto-landing would help. Don't you still have to turn the motors off manually, or do they shut off automatically after auto-landing?
I've never used it so I don't know.

I don't get how auto-landing would help. Don't you still have to turn the motors off manually, or do they shut off automatically after auto-landing?

They shut of automatically, I prefer to catch mine to completely avoid crashing it

Reactions: 805hd

They shut of automatically, I prefer to catch mine to completely avoid crashing it
Thanks for the information. I did not know this.[emoji106]

Thanks for the information. I did not know this.[emoji106]
Just keep a eye on her coming down if you do use it, as the P3S GPS can be more than a few yards/meters off sometimes. And if there was anything nearby (park bench, trash can, car) you may need to help out manually.

I will be hand catching my drone from now on, 2 times in the past 2 weeks my P3S has flipped. Once with manual control in high winds and another on a calm day the auto land tipped it. I've now got 8 scratched up props and 3 of those are broken. Went out today and bought all the replacement props that bestbuy had in stock. Also I am now going to be landing on a soft surface like grass or dirt when possible. Of course I would be doing this if there wasn't 2 feet of snow everywhere.

i have never used auto land , and probably never will. my first few flights i hand caught the bird , then i tried manual landing just in case i had to. manual seemed easy, no issue for 5 or 6 , then one bouncy one, no tip over, but the motors revved up . hand catching is potentially dangerous, but is now my preferred method of " landing".

Reactions: DatScreamer
I don't always flip the bird, but when I do it's not my phantom. Lol. Hand catching might be a bit hazardous but so is life.

Just make sure you keep it level until the motors stop. And for god sakes make sure you don't drop it [emoji23]

Last edited:
I usually catch my Phantom thinking that landing it would increase the wear and tear on the gimbal mechanism...the ribbon looks really flimsy.

Just keep a eye on her coming down if you do use it, as the P3S GPS can be more than a few yards/meters off sometimes. And if there was anything nearby (park bench, trash can, car) you may need to help out manually.

easiest thing ever to fly and land really, try a heli and you will see whats what lol
If you think landing a P4 is easy, try landing it without GPS and VPS in windy condititions. Total ATTI landings will really teach you how to fly a drone, as it acts similar to the toy drones in this mode, with the acception of height holding. I have been practicing using Atti without GPS and VPS for a few days and it has opened up an entirely different world for me about the P4. It is an amazing aircraft and I say this, while I also own a Mavic Pro. Mavic is portable but for me the P4 is a work of tech in its own areas!

Just want to be sure I understand that if you hand catch and hold the drone it turns off ,not needing the controller.
No you need the RC, you have to put left stick full down after hand catching it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20